Food fun

Been canning again.

Made several jars of pickled Red Onions had a standard recipe then after trying it out varied it a bit.
Apple Cider Vinegar, sugar, salt.

Next I tried adding slivered Elephant Ear Garlic and black Peppercorns...that was yummy.
Then today I used Red Wine Vinegar, honey and Carolina Reaper Peppers....hang on!
Pickled Red Onions.jpg
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Re: Food fun

They turned out great...the Carolina Reaper Red onions turned out just hot enough apparently the vinegar tones down the OMFG hot of the peppers...I'll put 2 or 3 in next time.
Nicely balanced hot, sweet and tart, I used honey instead of sugar.

Recipe as follows:

3 large Red onions
1 cup of warm water
3/4 cup Red Wine vinegar
1 TBS Honey
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Dried Carolina Reaper pepper (cored & seeded)

Cut onions into 1/4 - 1/2 inch moon slices
Mix the rest in a bowl until salt and Honey are dissolved

Put onions in a tall Mason Jar (wide mouth lid) and pour in the liquid.
Close lid tight and refrigerate 12-24 hours in the refrigerator.

Put them on salads and burgers, I had mine with some BBQ Brisket I made.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

My wife is awesome with fridge pickles. Onions are a staple and recently our veggie box has been including lots of jicama, which handles picking really well. Yours look great. We really like picked red onions with havarti and cheddar in quesadillas.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Y'all be careful coring and seeding that Carolina Reaper. First: do not touch face. Ever, if one of those peppers even is in the house. Second, wear gloves that you discard after. Wipe down all surfaces that contacted the pepper--that oil can hang around just waiting for you to pick some up and touch your eye.

Picklema.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack