Re: Swedish Mauser FM 23-36 trial match rifle

sikacz wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 am I share your love of old target rifles. They are beauties, enjoy and congrats again!
Thanks, sik. A number of my shooting buddies believe the Finns somehow missed the boat aesthetically-speaking on the 28/76. I have a Swedish CG-80 that exudes pulchritude in comparison...

Frankly, I've corresponded with someone who has a earlier Finnish target rifle-a 28/57-which is much prettier IMO. Would love to have one of those.
Last edited by Mustang on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mustang wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:31 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 am I share your love of old target rifles. They are beauties, enjoy and congrats again!
Thanks, sik. A number of my shooting buddies believe the Finns somehow missed the boat aesthetically-speaking on the 28/76. I have a Swedish CG-80 that exudes pulchritude in comparison...

Frankly, I've corresponded with someone who has a earlier Finnish target rifle-a 28/57-which is much prettier IMO. Would love to have one of those.
I guess both reflect their time in the design. The M28-76 has a very 1970’s flare. It’s also much more utilitarian from my perspective. The stock finish is very plain and the ergonomics is pretty much patterned after the bi-athlon rifles which it no doubt was intended to resemble. Since it was a military target marksmanship rifle it may also have been used in military bi-athlon type events. That’s a guess on my part, but I could ask, I know a few Finns that are in the reserves in Finland and are old enough to have used one. I’m partial to the simplicity of the M28-76, but wouldn’t turn down a chance to buy any of the earlier ones.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:18 pm I guess both reflect their time in the design. The M28-76 has a very 1970’s flare. It’s also much more utilitarian from my perspective. The stock finish is very plain and the ergonomics is pretty much patterned after the bi-athlon rifles which it no doubt was intended to resemble. Since it was a military target marksmanship rifle it may also have been used in military bi-athlon type events. That’s a guess on my part, but I could ask, I know a few Finns that are in the reserves in Finland and are old enough to have used one. I’m partial to the simplicity of the M28-76, but wouldn’t turn down a chance to buy any of the earlier ones.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 28/76 and find it one of the most comfortable shooting rifles that I've got. It may not be pretty, but to paraphrase Forrest Gump...pretty is as pretty does.

Mustang wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:50 am
sikacz wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:18 pm I guess both reflect their time in the design. The M28-76 has a very 1970’s flare. It’s also much more utilitarian from my perspective. The stock finish is very plain and the ergonomics is pretty much patterned after the bi-athlon rifles which it no doubt was intended to resemble. Since it was a military target marksmanship rifle it may also have been used in military bi-athlon type events. That’s a guess on my part, but I could ask, I know a few Finns that are in the reserves in Finland and are old enough to have used one. I’m partial to the simplicity of the M28-76, but wouldn’t turn down a chance to buy any of the earlier ones.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 28/76 and find it one of the most comfortable shooting rifles that I've got. It may not be pretty, but to paraphrase Forrest Gump...pretty is as pretty does.
:roflmao: From a Finn angle, the Swedes could afford the pleasures of refined things with the Finns standing between them and the Soviets/Russians. :roflmao:
Knowing Finns their nature is more like M28/76 than that beautiful Swede of yours.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:01 pm :roflmao: From a Finn angle, the Swedes could afford the pleasures of refined things with the Finns standing between them and the Soviets/Russians. :roflmao:
Knowing Finns their nature is more like M28/76 than that beautiful Swede of yours.
I love the utilitarian Finnish rifles and actually have far more Finns than Swedes.

I guess I come to the love of both rifles honestly...one of my maternal Great Grandmothers was Finnish and she was married to a Swede, who naturally was one of my maternal GGF's.

Mustang wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:19 pm
sikacz wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:01 pm :roflmao: From a Finn angle, the Swedes could afford the pleasures of refined things with the Finns standing between them and the Soviets/Russians. :roflmao:
I love the utilitarian Finnish rifles and actually have far more Finns than Swedes.

I guess I come to the love of both rifles honestly...one of my maternal Great Grandmothers was Finnish and she was married to a Swede, who naturally was one of my maternal GGF's.
They all have their place.