Making your own cases/nerd alert

I'm about to make a custom case for all my honing and sharpening equipment, which got me thinking about how happy I am with my home made pistol case. Using an inexpensive plastic case (Plano or the like, just find one with suitable dimensions) and Kaisen foam, trace the foam and cut to fit closely to the case. Then arrange your bits and bobs until you like how they lie on the foam. Then just trace out what you have, and cut-and-peel the foam until the depths of each piece is perfect. Tip: using an electric carving knife for longer cuts and shaping the foam to the case does make for neater cuts.

Pictured is the case for my G42 and G20, plus mags, barrels and recoil springs (I do swap between 40S&W and 10mm occasionally, and have a ported barrel/spring combo for the full powered defensive 10mm loads).

Fun project and nice protection, even just for Glocks ;).

Now that I've invested in enough nice honing stones it's time to get another of these rolling. It'll be multi-depth (two trays) so a little more involved, but SWMBO is gone all next week so time for some swarf-n-sawdust therapy!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Groovin' and jivin' and diggin' the skin I'm in

Lyons, CO

Re: Making your own cases/nerd alert

OK, I love this kind of thing!!!! Where do you get the cases and foam???

I want to do this for 'paired guns'. Like my KelTec Sub 2000 and the M&P 2.0. Since they use the same mags, I could fit both in a brief case sized box along with as many mags as I could fit in. If the grits hit the pan, I could just grab it and go. This would also work for the new Ruger take-down carbine and whatever gun it could be paired with.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

You know what I'm guilty of? Not painting/otherwise decorating the ever living dogshit out of the outside of my gun cases. I'm a fuckin' art student, for fuck's sake!

Nice work, by the way! Nothing like tailoring your gear to what you need.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

lsj74 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:40 am My CZ case.
Made to fit a 75BD, SP-01, 22 conversion kit and 2 magazines for each.
Made with the foam inserts that came with the case but I sealed it with several coats of Plasti Dip.
How does the Plasti Dip hold up when you put a warm firearm back in the case? Does that stuff melt easily?
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

KlownKannon wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:33 am
lsj74 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:40 am My CZ case.
Made to fit a 75BD, SP-01, 22 conversion kit and 2 magazines for each.
Made with the foam inserts that came with the case but I sealed it with several coats of Plasti Dip.
How does the Plasti Dip hold up when you put a warm firearm back in the case? Does that stuff melt easily?
I haven't had any issues with it. I did it to help keep the moisture out and it also the bottom foam part is made up from squares that you tear away and the Plasti Dip helps keeping it together.
I used the spray kind and the foam does does soak it up so it takes a full can to that one case.

featureless wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 pm
shinzen wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 am FWIW, I just found out that Harbor Freight carries their own line of Plano knockoffs- they get rave reviews from their customers and are about half the price. (Less in some cases)
The "Apache case", if anyone is interested. I was and may have to give one a go. Thanks for the tip.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogse ... pache+case
The 3800 is on sale through the end of the month, but you either have to manually add the coupon code or use the alternate link to get the extra $10 off.
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail

featureless wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 pm
shinzen wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 am FWIW, I just found out that Harbor Freight carries their own line of Plano knockoffs- they get rave reviews from their customers and are about half the price. (Less in some cases)
The "Apache case", if anyone is interested. I was and may have to give one a go. Thanks for the tip.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogse ... pache+case
I picked up one of these. They seem great for the price. I'll try to do some plucking and get a photo up in the next few days.