Re: Help me pick a fun range gun

atxgunguy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:20 pm Ok, if we're talking OUR favorite range toys...it's hard to beat shooting my S&W 686 with a 6" with full power magnum loads. You immediately get all the attention on indoor ranges. :)
Love my 686 plus with the 6 inch and my 3 inch, but for real fun it is my Ruger SRH and Alaskan 44 mag. Full 44mag Keith loads gets other to have a flinch reflex. Even shooting on an outdoor range if I’m on lane one next to the berm others tend to move further down the range to other lanes.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:33 am
Bisbee wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:47 am
atxgunguy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:49 am

Graham Baates just did a side-by-side of the Polymer vs. Steel. The steel version is very classy. It's the 1911-style without the grip safety.
Heresy!!! Calling a striker gun anything remotely like a 1911.
Shoots straight, self-reloads, uses magazines. What's the problem?
Reading the reply on the screen, the man pounds his keyboard with both fists in a sudden attack of apoplexy...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 pm OK. Let's stop playing patty-cake here! Time to bring your Sherman Tank to the (outdoor) range! BOOOOOMMMM!!!
All I can say is "Go ahead make my day." :roflmao:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

polymath wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 pm For inexpensive range fun I don't think you can beat 22LR, but if I was getting a centerfire range toy it'd be this CZ. It has my preferred action (DA/SA with decocker), suppressor ready (I'm in a free state), and an unusual and to my eyes appealing color:
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01- ... sor-ready/ If you haven't already got a CZ 75 derivative in your safe, be warned -- they can be habit forming.
I will echo a recommendation for the CZ-75 (in my opinion, this is hands down the most underrated handgun on the US market). I recently purchased a CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical, although it is the plain black one lacking a threaded barrel (even though they are legal in Minnesota, I have no intention of ever purchasing a suppressor). Of all the handguns I have ever fired, nothing feels or shoots better than the CZ-75. Unfortunately, I had to send my CZ-75 back for warranty work, and I seem to be suffering from withdrawal symptoms, as I was told that the turnaround time could be up to four to six weeks. :no: I am already enamored with the full-size CZ-75 I own...will this new addiction eventually lead to me getting a P01 and a 2075 RAMI for concealed carry purposes? :P
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

I've been shooting the piss out of the Canik TP9 SFx with an Leupold Delta Point since last year and I still like my Tanfoglios but the gun that really makes me smile is my STI DVC Limited. I haven't shot it much in competition for a couple of years but I still take it out to the range regularly.

YankeeTarheel said:

The cowboy gun is simply the most fun ...
Ditto - when I want -fun- I take my SAA clone and my lever rifle. I agree they are slow to reload, but that may be part of the therapy. The inverse, semi-auto 22.lr with high capacity (like a Ruger 10/22 with a big magazine) - wow, what fun for a few seconds, but after a few magazines, I don't feel nearly as 'at peace' as I do when I have gone through 30 rounds in a SAA six shooter.

The lever rifle is in a class by itself. There is something so visceral about the cycle, load, airmailing, shoot sequence.

Dang, Spara, is your STI DVC Limited a 9?

That gun is easily worth twice what I can get for my Corolla... and my Corolla runs great!

I have to say that I luvs me some CZ-75’s and the full sized ones are indeed a pleasure to shoot. But the trigger is nowhere a clean-break as the 1911, which to me affects my consistency and accuracy. Which is why I wrongly thought the Browning Hi-Power was my answer. And then eventually migrated to a 9mm 1911.

Now if I could only steal someone else’s Corolla and sell both on Craigslist...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm Dang, Spara, is your STI DVC Limited a 9?

That gun is easily worth twice what I can get for my Corolla... and my Corolla runs great!

I have to say that I luvs me some CZ-75’s and the full sized ones are indeed a pleasure to shoot. But the trigger is nowhere a clean-break as the 1911, which to me affects my consistency and accuracy. Which is why I wrongly thought the Browning Hi-Power was my answer. And then eventually migrated to a 9mm 1911.

Now if I could only steal someone else’s Corolla and sell both on Craigslist...
What didn't you like about the Hi Power? I had one in the70s and only sold it because it was a 9mm.

JaxTeller wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 pm If it hasn't already been recommended, I recommend the S&W Victory in .22. I have one, and love it. Fiber optic sights. 4" bull barrel. Dead on accurate.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
I shot LGC’er Catalyst’s Victory a while ago. Great gun. All of the 22s in that spectrum are great these days. I think I’d still go with the Ruger MkIV as the takedown feature is hella cool and slick.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:49 am
Marlene wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 pm How about the Walther PPQ Q5
I hadn't seen it til just now
Graham Baates just did a side-by-side of the Polymer vs. Steel. The steel version is very classy. It's the 1911-style without the grip safety.

https://youtu.be/oAaEcY_tJCM

This is awesome that you referenced Graham Baates, he's a friend of mine and we shoot together.

To the OP, one of my funnest range plinkers is my Ruger MK IV Lite, but I also just saw that Kel-Tec is coming out with a unicorn pistol that holds 30 rounds of .22 LR. I suppose if you had a mechanical reloader that would be a hoot. My second funnest is my Sig MPX 9mm w/wrist brace, but that might take you over a thousand bucks.

Bisbee wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm Dang, Spara, is your STI DVC Limited a 9?
It's a .40, but I wouldn't mind another STI in 9. Though this year I'm shooting a police turn-in Sig P320 that I bought from a black Friday sale for $350. I just mounted a red dot on it and it shoots pretty well. Trigger is a bit mushy but not terrible enough at the moment for me to monkey with it.

senorgrand wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:31 pm I know you said pistol, but S&W 617s are crazy fun.

If you want more bang, I just put xframe grips on my 627...8 shots of full house 357s as fast you can pull the trigger.
Handguns have been called pistols since the 30 yrs war, Samual Colt called his revolvers pistols, have no idea when the new rule about what we call them came about but it is correct to call revolvers pistols.

eelj wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:20 pm
senorgrand wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:31 pm I know you said pistol, but S&W 617s are crazy fun.

If you want more bang, I just put xframe grips on my 627...8 shots of full house 357s as fast you can pull the trigger.
Handguns have been called pistols since the 30 yrs war, Samual Colt called his revolvers pistols, have no idea when the new rule about what we call them came about but it is correct to call revolvers pistols.
This. Pistol = handgun.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed