We oughta have a contest for most frivolous gun purchase

There comes a time when you buy a gun on a whim. It's something of dubious reputation and you should know better. But then you go out of your way and buy TWO of them.

I am that person.

I'm an idiot. But at least I'm entertaining. That's something, right? Who am I trying to kid? It's probably gonna be awesome! Maybe.

I'll post pictures when the twins arrive.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Re: We oughta have a contest for most frivolous gun purchase

Well.... not a gun per se. I was strolling through a large gun store when I saw this display of scopes on the counter. They were half price and the rings were thrown in for free. I looked at it about 5 seconds, and picked one up and bought it.

It is still sitting on a shelf, I did some research only to find that it was for deer hunting (less than one hundred yards). I don't hunt and I am hoping to get into long distance shooting. Maybe someday I'll find a use for it.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Yesterday... Went to the LGS and they had a Mauser, labelled "1934, 32 ACP," except it was actually a 1914 in 25 ACP. The previous owner flipped it with no research.

I've always wanted a 25 ACP, and they were willing to reduce the price since I had to educate them, so it's in jail awaiting next weekend. :) Built in '21 if the online serial number index is to be believed.

Pics when it comes home.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Eris wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:33 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm Does the Dover branch of the NJ National Guard Armory's Red, White, and Blue Sherman Tank count? (No, I didn't buy it!)

RW&BTank.JPG
I don't know what kind of tank that is, but it's not a Sherman.

Still counts as a nicely firvolous gun, of course.
You're right! It's not a Sherman tank. I think it's an M60A3. Looks like this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_of_ ... l_2005.jpg
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I have a friend who has spent most of his adult life battling drug addiction. He must have said to me (a hundred plus times)

"Cocaine is god's way of telling you that you have too much money."

I have often said a similar thing to myself - perhaps when I buy both a Sig P320 Compact AND a P320 Sub Compact (after all, they do have inter-chanageable parts and can act as a parts backup for one another.)

But my single biggest dumb purchase was having a GP 100 and deciding that the GP 100 Match Champion was my next gun. When it arrived, I was horrified by the HUGE words cut into the side (one does not call such deep lettering 'engraving'). In the end, I sold them both and bought the S&W 686 and paid $$ for a trigger job on it. I realize priests have been banned from this forum, but that is my confession.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/si ... on_640.jpg

I have been told by several folks that Ruger did the massive lettering just for the IDPA market - they wanted branding to overcome the huge S&W bias in this [sport] shooting class.

And this is the movie scene I was reminded of when I saw the engraving on the side of the GP 100 Match Champion:
https://youtu.be/LgBA1jA2-mo?t=105

(Sorry - added to post - it took a while to find it.)
Last edited by max129 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

max129 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:21 am I have a friend who has spent most of his adult life battling drug addiction. He must have said to me (a hundred plus times)

"Cocaine is god's way of telling you that you have too much money."
And if Cocaine is god's way of telling you that you have too much money, then golf is legal cocaine.

And we have an hard-core addict in the White House (who cheats when he plays, too).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Old Remington side x side that some asshat cut down into a coach gun and put the bead back on so it looked almost factory. Well, I bought it so who’s the bigger ass?

Anyway, the gun had the old Damascus style barrel and wood stock that was disintegrating. Every time I pulled the trigger I worried it would either fall apart in my hands or explode in my face. The combination doesn’t exactly make for a fun shooter. I traded it for a new 10/22 and never looked back.

But I still consider a coach gun perfect home defense... or the zombie apocalypse. Just not one with an old wound-wire barrel.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi