Oregon proposed 5 round mag law

Oregon legislature is proposing a 5 round magazine limit and a 20 round per month ammunition limit. Way to show up the sunshine state, beavers. Jesus.
Requires person to secure permit before purchasing or otherwise receiving firearm. Specifies
qualifications for permit and manner of applying for permit. Creates procedures for appealing denial
of permit. Punishes receipt of firearm without valid permit by maximum of 364 days’ imprisonment,
$6,250 fine, or both.

Requires person who owns or possesses firearm to secure firearm with trigger or cable lock or
in locked container. Punishes failure to secure firearm by maximum of 30 days’ imprisonment, $1,250
fine, or both.

Requires person who owns or possesses firearm to report to law enforcement agency loss or
theft of firearm within 24 hours. Punishes failure to report loss or theft by maximum of 30 days’
imprisonment, $1,250 fine, or both.

Prohibits possession of magazine with capacity to hold more than five rounds of ammunition.
Provides that person in possession of such magazine must sell or otherwise dispose of magazine
within 180 days of effective date of Act. Punishes unlawful possession of magazine capable of holding
more than five rounds by maximum of 364 days’ imprisonment, $6,250 fine, or both.

Requires criminal background check before transfer of ammunition. Restricts ammunition receipt to 20 rounds within 30-day period.
Prohibits transfer of firearm by gun dealer or private party until latter of 14 days or Department
of State Police has determined that recipient is qualified to receive firearm.
https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1 ... iQU1vqmoE4

Re: Oregon proposed 5 round mag law

We issued a mandate by electing shit loads of Democrats to combat Trump and the first thing they do is work hard at disarming US before the 2020 elections. Gotta wonder what they'll do when they have the Whole Enchilada.
No votes for Democrats from me if they keep this up.

Even the teeniest of tiny BUGs I own have 6 round magazines. Basically this law aims to neuter all concealed carry of anything but a 5 round revolver. This is criminal intent on the part of the law makers proposing this. Ya gotta wonder waht they have planned for the aftermath. Terrifying.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Looks like it was put out by some group of Lake Oswego teens going by the name of Students for Change. I'm guessing not a single on has even ever touched a firearm.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 am Looks like it was put out by some group of Lake Oswego teens going by the name of Students for Change. I'm guessing not a single on has even ever touched a firearm.
Not sure what this means...this is a bill before the Senate of the State of Oregon. It was "put out" by State Senators. Not children. I'm not getting the context of your meaning, beaurrr.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 am
beaurrr wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 am Looks like it was put out by some group of Lake Oswego teens going by the name of Students for Change. I'm guessing not a single on has even ever touched a firearm.
Not sure what this means...this is a bill before the Senate of the State of Oregon. It was "put out" by State Senators. Not children. I'm not getting the context of your meaning, beaurrr.

VooDoo
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 527929002/
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

For those outside of Oregon, you should know that Lake Oswego is a wealthy community, a country-club conservative Republican blip of red in a sea of surrounding blue. These would be very privileged and coddled upper class white kids.
Lake Oswego was the very last town in Oregon to integrate and allow blacks and Jews to live there, hence its nickname: “Lake No Negoes.”

Without digging too deeply, is this a bill proposed by some state senator to get press, or does it have a real chance of becoming law?
Here in NJ, we recently had a number of bills signed, including the one reducing mag capacity from 15 to 10 rounds.

But one state senator and the 2 assembly persons from his district proposed a California-style definition of assault weapons that went from 2 characteristics (Like a pistol grip and flash suppressor) to one--which would force most semi-auto rifles to be heavily modified, or gotten rid of (My Kel-Tec Sub2000 would have had been illegal no matter what). Despite the anti-gun bias of the state lege and the Guv, it went nowhere and was basically ignored--he got not one single co-sponsor in either House.

New York ran into trouble with its 7 round limit and had to revise it. It seems any limit below 10 rounds is likely to NOT stand up to a court challenge based on Heller.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Our regional gun forum, Northwestfirearms.com, has had comments about this posted in the Liberal Gun Club thread that we should do something about this. Yeah, it’s all our fault...
With the avalanche of new gun control proposals coming 2019 Firearms Legislation - Oregon Firearms Federation it's time for our friends in the Liberal Gun Club to step up to the plate, contact the politicians that they helped put into office, and tell them as liberals and people who supported those politicians and voted for them that they oppose these new bills. Politicians are more likely to listen to people who voted for them than to those who didn't vote for them.
When a vote is cast to place a politician into power and that politician has made it clear that they plan on attacking you and the things you hold dear, that vote was cast for swift extinction. To wit: SB501. There is no wiggle room. I hope I didn't offend anybody.
(sigh)
Still, writing a few letters might not go amiss I suppose (not that “they” actually read them...but some intern will before tossing them in a pile prior to sending a form letter response). Duty calls...
Last edited by HuckleberryFun on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Representatives don't respond to letters, emails, FaceBook posts, or tweets from non-constituents, and many don't even respond to them from their own constituents.
Even as Minority Leader it was impossible to contact Nancy Pelosi (I don't know if that's still true as Speaker--I hope not). I know. I tried.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:18 am Representatives don't respond to letters, emails, FaceBook posts, or tweets from non-constituents, and many don't even respond to them from their own constituents.
Even as Minority Leader it was impossible to contact Nancy Pelosi (I don't know if that's still true as Speaker--I hope not). I know. I tried.
Sadly too true. I sent several e-mails to every member of the Oregon Senate and House member in opposition to the UBC bill last year (or was it the year before, time is a run-on sentence for me). My district reps: Senator Elizabeth Hayward-Steiner (D) and Rep. Ken Helm (D) sent no replies or even acknowledgements. I did, however, get on the mailing list of every Republican legislator in the state. We might try setting up tents in the rotunda.
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

You have quite a few members in Oregon, you need to approach this as a united front so they know you exist. There is a big push underway from the national committee, rhey have an agenda to cloud the air with nonsense like this so they don't have to under take any truly progressive legislation, that would indicate cowtowing to the Bernie faction in the party and they don't want to do that.

Every state in the union is pushing for gun control this year, they aren't doing it for the children they are doing it because their strategists claim the time is right to actually beat the nra on an issue.

I'ts a vanity issue for them. People have to actually meet with their legislators and let them know it could affect whether or not they get reelected.

I've actually gotten personal letters and eMails from Senator Menendez (D-NJ) and recently-retired Cong. Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-NJ11).
I have nothing personal against Rodney, but politically I thought him a coward and am hoping that Mikie Sherrill (D), his replacement will be stronger and more decisive.

eelj wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:44 pm You have quite a few members in Oregon, you need to approach this as a united front so they know you exist. There is a big push underway from the national committee, rhey have an agenda to cloud the air with nonsense like this so they don't have to under take any truly progressive legislation, that would indicate cowtowing to the Bernie faction in the party and they don't want to do that.

Every state in the union is pushing for gun control this year, they aren't doing it for the children they are doing it because their strategists claim the time is right to actually beat the nra on an issue.

I'ts a vanity issue for them. People have to actually meet with their legislators and let them know it could affect whether or not they get reelected.
Several politicians I have spoken to here locally are becoming genuinely concerned about being targeted by people who are upset at the direction of US politics. To be flat about it they want US disarmed or limited because they are afraid of US because of what they have done.

They wanna make sure that the Police and local National Guard have oodles more stuff than the population. We are getting there. I hope folks in Oregon react strongly to this attempt to be disarmed but I doubt their Representation really gives a shit about what the constituency wants.

VooDoo

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:54 am New York ran into trouble with its 7 round limit and had to revise it. It seems any limit below 10 rounds is likely to NOT stand up to a court challenge based on Heller.
Yeah. Too many pistols have 7 round mags. I think this is a pointless law proposal. I mean, what criminal is going to care about an illegal mag size who's going to off himself after a mass shooting anyway? pffft

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:54 am New York ran into trouble with its 7 round limit and had to revise it. It seems any limit below 10 rounds is likely to NOT stand up to a court challenge based on Heller.
Yeah. Too many pistols have 7 round mags. I think this is a pointless law proposal. I mean, what criminal is going to care about an illegal mag size who's going to off himself after a mass shooting anyway? pffft

CDFingers
Not to mention the revolvers that have 6 or more chambers in their cylinder.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am
CDFingers wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 am

CDFingers
Not to mention the revolvers that have 6 or more chambers in their cylinder.
My Ruger 1771 has 7. S&W's 9mm revolvers hold as many as 8.

So who in Oregon is going to visit their state legislators *in person* to discuss this? I have to agree with the quotes above from Northwestfirearms.com. As liberal gun owners we have a special responsibility in defending the Second Amendment. We want to defend it and yet we often end up voting for politicians who oppose it so that we can support other issues that are important to us. We all recognize that sending emails and writing letters is not effective, though, in changing the minds of anti-gun legislators, so we need to find better ways of doing so. One way is to go to the legislators office to meet in person, where at the minimum you get to speak to a staffer who is in direct contact with the legislator, and maybe get to speak to the legislator him or herself. That way there's no hiding behind an automated email response - someone has to look another person in the eye and say "I want to take away your rights", which is going to make them uncomfortable, and make them realize that they really do stand a chance of losing public support for their anti-gun positions.

I wish that we could have a formal LGC lobbying day where members get together to go as a group.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm So who in Oregon is going to visit their state legislators *in person* to discuss this? I have to agree with the quotes above from Northwestfirearms.com. As liberal gun owners we have a special responsibility in defending the Second Amendment. We want to defend it and yet we often end up voting for politicians who oppose it so that we can support other issues that are important to us. We all recognize that sending emails and writing letters is not effective, though, in changing the minds of anti-gun legislators, so we need to find better ways of doing so. One way is to go to the legislators office to meet in person, where at the minimum you get to speak to a staffer who is in direct contact with the legislator, and maybe get to speak to the legislator him or herself. That way there's no hiding behind an automated email response - someone has to look another person in the eye and say "I want to take away your rights", which is going to make them uncomfortable, and make them realize that they really do stand a chance of losing public support for their anti-gun positions.

I wish that we could have a formal LGC lobbying day where members get together to go as a group.
The Mn sub group of the LGC is going to take part in a "gun violence" study group set up by the Dem caucus this next month. Don't know what we will accomplish but at least the metro area silk stocking democrats will know that there are clubs out there that are not manned by a bunch of tea bagging troglodytes. If you attend party meetings at the county level in my state you will get a chance to meet with your representatives, at least in Mn you can.