Secret Life of a Leftist Doomsday Prepper

Leftists also know “the center cannot hold, things fall apart, mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...”
Interview with a San Francisco Anarchist sex worker doomsday prepper.

https://narratively.com/secret-life-of- ... y-prepper/
Everyone in California is waiting for “The Big One,” an earthquake with a magnitude of 8.0 or greater that will destroy infrastructure and cause mass panic. Yet when I moved to the Bay Area from the East Coast, I discovered that since most of the people I knew were making do with small apartments and ever-increasing rent, having supplies on hand for a natural disaster required a space premium that many couldn’t afford. I began to put together an earthquake kit that would not only serve my household (which over the years fluctuated from one to three other people) but also my neighborhood, if needed. Even with all that work, I didn’t consider myself a prepper, just someone who heeded the Red Cross’s warnings.

When the average person thinks about doomsday preppers, they probably think of paranoid right-leaning wing nuts clinging to a small arsenal of guns and stockpiling toilet paper from Walmart in case their conspiracy theories come true. It’s a fair assumption — many television depictions reflect that mind-set, though the fears vary from group to group. Some are afraid of government collapse, others fear a solar flare, still others are preparing for a race war they think is inevitable. When those are the dominant examples, it’s easy to dismiss the practice as absurd and hysterical.

I am a leftist, anarchist prepper, and while we differ politically, I have to admit, the extreme preppers you see on TV are not completely out of their minds.

Me and my walking stick in the Bay Area.
I used to focus only on preparing for earthquakes and other natural disasters. That changed in 2011 when I went to my first protest, an Occupy Oakland action, with a medic bag. I didn’t know yet that I’d be out there for hours, so I didn’t have supplies I consider basic now — food, caffeine, extra smokes, insoles for my combat boots. I didn’t know how aggressive the police would be, and the handkerchief around my neck was more for a punk look than medical necessity. I hadn’t received formal training to be a street medic; I just happened to know first aid and CPR and wanted to help. I carried a 15-pound bag on my back, full of medical supplies, mainly gauze and tape but also things like tourniquets that I hoped I wouldn’t have to use. I was scared — I’d had rubber bullets shot at me the night before — but I was determined to drop off water to the protesters and make sure that people had sterile supplies.

That night, I tasted tear gas for the first time. You smell it before you taste it, and you taste its strange, bitter sting before it fills your lungs or blinds you. I was alone, and terrified, among a crowd that was shouting and crying and panicked in the streets.

“Disperse!” came the command from the helicopter hovering above us. Every exit point seemed blocked by clouds of tear gas or the loud kapow! of flash-bangs. Every explosion startled me; I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. Rubber bullets were being shot at us from every direction by cops dressed in SWAT gear, as if this was a war, not a protest. Someone next to me fell to the ground grabbing his face. I saw he was bleeding and scared, and I dropped next to him, telling him he was going to be OK, that I was a medic. It was my first time treating a wound in the street during a fray. Looking down at my hands and seeing a stranger’s blood on my gloves chilled me, but there wasn’t time to feel anything. My legs moved on autopilot, going from person to person to check on them. “Do you need a medic?” I found myself shouting over the noise every time I heard a scream.

I went home, shaken and shaking, all of the adrenaline flooding me at once. I slept uneasily, tossing and turning in my bed. I wanted my partner to sleep next to me, but also couldn’t bear to be touched. I had nightmares that lasted for weeks: dizzying, confusing dreams where I was struggling to breathe or see but could hear pain all around me, and I would wake up panting and sweating.

Despite the trauma, I kept going to protests. I felt grimly determined, and as I kept going, I became more desensitized to the chaos. My medic bag evolved into something more suited for treating the effects of police brutality than simply a place to keep extra snacks and water on hand. I learned from other medics how police often target medics and organizers for arrest in order to destabilize and demoralize the entire group, and I grimly prepared for an inevitable attack or arrest.

I also began to realize that I needed to prep for something that’s increasingly as likely as earthquakes: large-scale civil unrest, which I witnessed a taste of in the streets that night. I began to think of how people act when they’re scared, including and especially law enforcement. I started to think about home security, transportation options if fuel was limited, how to access information without the internet. I studied natural disasters and their repercussions around the world as a way to understand how to keep myself and my community safer.

While I was beginning to explore the art of prepping, I met my partner, a fellow anarchist who specializes in constructing urban shelters and creating makeshift weapons out of random finds from the local dumpster. Ape is many things I am not — slender where I am curvy, tan where I am pale, easygoing where I am exacting. One of the bonds of our relationship is our enjoyment of teaching and learning from each other. Ape teaches me how to handle and care for knives and guns, while I teach him how to recognize medicinal herbs in an urban setting, how to preserve food, and how to stitch up a wound. Rather than depending on each other to do certain tasks, we’ve worked on becoming capable of filling in for each other in a pinch, leading us to learn new skills that we’ve found useful while camping, when the car breaks down, or during any number of other mundane situations. Our shared nerdy interest in preparing for disaster, combined with our complementary skills, has made casual but constant prepping a core part of our relationship. While other couples may prefer a nice candlelit dinner out, I love poring over the most recent articles in Survival Magazine or seeing what new products knife company Cold Steel has this month.

Ape and I had sex at an “End of the World” orgy on the night of Trump’s election. The crowd was mostly sex workers and queer folks. None of us wanted to face this election alone, so we got together at a friend’s loft apartment to handle the news as best we could — with food, alcohol and sex. What was normally a group of boisterous party animals started off with us tentatively nibbling at cheese and crackers, whispering to each other in corners, and halfheartedly making out, one eye always on the votes coming in. The room was increasingly quiet and depressed as the votes were counted and we realized that our worst nightmare, a United States governed by the pinnacle of toxic masculinity, was coming true.

When it became clear that Trump was going to be our next president, silence descended over the mostly naked crowd. Everyone seemed frozen in place. I felt a sinking in my gut and I knew what we needed to do; my boyfriend and I looked at each other and began to dress without a word.

“I’ll grab my medic bag,” I said quietly to him as I pulled my socks on, and he nodded. We knew we were going out into the streets of Oakland that night.

We arrived at the protest in Oakland’s downtown Oscar Grant Plaza while people were still shouting through megaphones at a crowd pulsating with fury and fear. When we took to the streets, I reached for Ape’s hand, both for reassurance and so we wouldn’t lose each other. We interlaced our fingers when we heard the first flash-bang — I flinched but kept walking. It wasn’t long before the police were throwing tear gas canisters into the crowd. While others turned to run and escape, we squeezed each other’s hands and walked into the fray to find people who needed our help. I didn’t know if we were going to be arrested, or injured, or even killed, but I knew I had to be there as long as I was needed.

We were out there for three days straight. Our lungs took weeks to recover from the gas and pepper spray we inhaled, but we took turns making mullein leaf tea to help the process along.

After that, I began to take my prepping a lot more seriously, even going so far as to make connections with similarly minded leftist survivalists to create a local list of resources, both online and off, covering things like who has what skills and who has extra water or food stored away.

I was on a forum online a couple of months ago looking for suggestions about bugout bags (prepacked bags you grab when escaping a dire situation) for urban environments, particularly if you’re more inclined to “bug in,” or shelter in place. Every sensible idea was accompanied by conspiracy theories about who or what was going to kill us all — a race war, a solar flare, a nuclear blast. Many of the commenters talked frankly, and sometimes cheerfully, about the need to kill other people in order to protect their families. Many of them wore Make America Great Again hats in their profile avatars, or actively supported the police in their forum signatures. They spoke with disgust about those they deemed “un-American,” particularly protesters who participated in Black Lives Matter or Occupy-type actions. Heather Heyer’s death — the woman who was mowed down by a white supremacist’s car during the Charlottesville, Virginia, protest — was seen as hilarious, not traumatizing.

I leaned back in my chair, my eyes scanning the vitriol on the forum, feeling anxious. The sun slowly set while I sat motionless behind the glowing screen, transfixed and horrified, my tea going from piping hot to ice cold. I forgot it was there. I could feel the tension in my gut clench tighter as I read the words of people threatening to spray bleach in the eyes of protesters at the next action. I was trying to figure out how real the threat was.

It was very clear that if I wanted to learn from the people on this forum, I couldn’t say anything about who I was or what I believed. Realizing that I might be chatting with the same people who were wielding guns at the white supremacy rally in Charlottesville was a startling moment, especially when I felt so safe at home in the Bay Area. Here, in my second-story apartment surrounded by an urban herb garden, my two cats weaving around my feet, I was more concerned about the police than my neighbors. But on this forum, I was brushing shoulders with the alt-right. As they regularly and violently vocalized, they were prepping, in part, to protect themselves from people like me.

This had troubling implications for what might happen locally if “The Big One” did hit. Would the people most prepared for life without the internet, hospital care and city infrastructure be the right-wingers who wanted to Make California Red Again? Would my black, transgender and disabled friends have to beg Trump supporters for supplies? That seemed more dangerous to me than the potential disaster itself.

While MAGA-hat wearers believe strongly that leftists and liberals are weak and ineffective in a survival scenario, I discovered that many of us already engage in activities that could be useful in an apocalypse. Knowing how to sew and mend clothes, reuse trash in creative ways, and fix machinery were all things I found among my artsy friends, for example. My witchy friends knew a lot about herbs and urban foraging. And a surprising amount of my Burning Man community not only knew a lot about filtering and recycling water or using alternative energy but also seemed to own and use guns, contrary to the belief I heard on conservative Twitter that a lack of weapons would be the left’s downfall.

Just last week I was sitting at a worn picnic table in the back of my favorite dive bar, drinking a PBR tall can and debating favorite guns with a group of friends. The air was warm even as the sun started to go down, and Edison lights illuminated our faces while we chatted. The conversation was spirited but friendly, all of us bonded by a love of camping, metalworking, and yes, weapons training. I was about halfway through my beer, eagerly discussing my desire to develop my upper-body strength to have a steadier hand with various pistols. The sun set while my friends, mostly in their late 20s and early 30s, continued to argue about which guns would be best in a zombie apocalypse, a thought experiment we used to discuss end-of-the-world scenarios that involve medical crises, hostile attacks, and the total collapse of city infrastructure all happening at once. For some, this might just be a silly conversation, but for us it offered a chance to work through multiple disaster scenarios at the same time and talk through real plans and theories.

By talking about prepping with more and more friends, I began to discover that many of them were also interested in developing skills that would be useful in a serious crisis situation. Several of them were already doing the same thing my partner and I had done — creating bunkers full of supplies and developing networks that could effectively take care of each other if the shit hit the fan. My community includes urban farmers, people who butcher their own meat, people who can and pickle the fruit and veg they get in their community agriculture boxes.

While the prepper movement may seem very right wing on the internet, offline I’ve found a vibrant survivalist society that is adaptable and stronger than they get credit for. Being a leftist prepper is less rare than I expected. We just don’t talk about it as much on the internet. Which, if you’re concerned that people are going to raid your compound for supplies, is probably sensible when you think about it! I also realized that the prepping I uncovered in my communities was less about individual survival and more about creating an alternative infrastructure, since the ones in place are already failing our marginalized friends and family, even without a disaster looming. Mutual aid is the core of our organizing, instead of pure self-preservation. Knowing this, I’m confident that we will not only survive, but heal, rebuild and thrive.

Re: Secret Life of a Leftist Doomsday Prepper

I learned from other medics how police often target medics and organizers for arrest in order to destabilize and demoralize the entire group
This is recognized internationally as a Crime Against Humanity. We consider it a vile international Crime when Al Qaeda or ISIS or the Taliban targets Red Cross, Red Crescent, or Doctors without Borders, yet our very own police, in one of our most liberal states, are doing exactly the same thing.

What the Hell has happened to America?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:50 am
I learned from other medics how police often target medics and organizers for arrest in order to destabilize and demoralize the entire group
This is recognized internationally as a Crime Against Humanity. We consider it a vile international Crime when Al Qaeda or ISIS or the Taliban targets Red Cross, Red Crescent, or Doctors without Borders, yet our very own police, in one of our most liberal states, are doing exactly the same thing.

What the Hell has happened to America?
What happened? The militarization of the police without the fig leaf of the Geneva and Hague Conventions to reign them in.

^ To be specific, I live in Oakland. The OPD has been treating citizens this way for generations. You might remember that the Black Panthers were founded here to help protect citizens from violent policing.

I grew up in Philadelphia, where the police were nowhere near as kind and gentle as they are here in Oakland. They burned an entire city block to evict one household of black radicals.

If you think “war crimes” are a new behavior by police in the US, it can only be because you’ve had the luxury of ignoring violence that was directed at others but not at you in your daily life.

Marlene wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:45 am ^ To be specific, I live in Oakland. The OPD has been treating citizens this way for generations. You might remember that the Black Panthers were founded here to help protect citizens from violent policing.

I grew up in Philadelphia, where the police were nowhere near as kind and gentle as they are here in Oakland. They burned an entire city block to evict one household of black radicals.

If you think “war crimes” are a new behavior by police in the US, it can only be because you’ve had the luxury of ignoring violence that was directed at others but not at you in your daily life.
Maureen. You don't know shit about me. You don't know what I've seen, what I've done, who I've known, where I've been, who I've lost. Stop assuming and stop being a condescending insulting asshole. Assuming only makes an Ass-of-U-to-Me.

I have a right to be outraged at this newest tactic by police.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

It’s not new. Just new to you.

My name is Marlene not Maureen.

I’m not insulting you. I’m positing an explanation as to how the mismatch between American policing and your expectations might have occurred. Not sure why that seems to make you angry, but take your feelings up with American policing, not with me.

I wasn’t condescending to you before. I am now.

In the corporate world, employees often mistake HR people for their advocates. I have no axe to grind with HR people, but I did spend 25 years in senior executive meetings in corporations (and it was really awful). The first thing one must acknowledge about 95% of HR people is this: they work for management. They are hired and fired based on an ability to perform what management needs. In many cases, they are tasked with regulatory compliance, but it is with the interest of management in mind. By nature and training, HR people are nice, warm and good listeners. That does not mean they can or will take on the company to protect an employee. The minute an employee makes a claim (hard, soft or legal) against a company, HR people's first job is to protect the company. The end result? If you have a small problem, HR is going to help YOU. If you have a big problem, HR is likely to help the COMPANY. And I have observed exactly zero exceptions in many decades. It is not an HR person's job to "do the right thing" - it is the HR person's to "do the right thing for the company and management."

So what does this have to do with this topic?

For HR people, you can replace Police. Yes, their mission is "To Serve and Protect" and by and large they mean it (just like HR people do.) But they work for management, not for you. They are hired and fired based on their ability to meet management objectives. I can blame the police for rough tactics and militarization. But, just as in the case of HR people, the real problem is that management tells them what to do and has a set of goals not necessarily in alignment with the people, or at least a large subset of the people.

As for any ad hoc field medics: good for you. May I give you a slight bit of counsel? In any extended set of events, any supplies you can carry on your back will be gone within hours, but the event may take days. You and the like minded need to find a way to stockpile cheap and long lasting materials for the medic job and have roughly as many people bringing in supplies as putting hands on the wounded.

Also, carry lots of sterile saline - you should always give any wound a big quick flush before you apply that bandage. It floats away a heck of a lot of contaminants and give you 2 extra hours of transport time unless the bleeding is severe.

[If any of the people on the forum are actual Human Resources folks, I mean no offense by the above. But I stand by my observations.]
Last edited by max129 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

The myth that this is new activity by the police is mistaken.
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch ... ve-bombing
https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/28/175 ... tion-tulsa
https://blackpast.org/aah/chicago-race-riot-1919
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot

As to modern police militarization, it can be tied back to 1968 in LA when they established the first SWAT team in response to the Black Panthers- and within several years, thanks to trickie dick, that began to take off as they targeted the "undesirables" (hippies, African Americans, leftists, etc.)

YT- you've called Marlene "Maureen" in multiple threads. I'm not sure if you're doing it intentionally or not, but I haven't seen you present dyslexia with other members or topics.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen said:

The myth that this is new activity by the police is mistaken.
I agree. It has always been this way. It is related back to whom the police report and what "their" actual goals are.

During the 1920s through 1930s, the police were routinely used to stop socialists and communists in the US pursuing perfectly legal activities. Their tactics were brutal and pervasive. In the 1960s, the police were used to "restore" order during perfectly peaceful civil right marches.

I have little negative to say about the police themselves: it is their BOSSES who are in charge of goals, tactics and outcomes. And that is where the problems lie.

Local police cannot militarize without local government support and funding and direction.

max129 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:08 am The first thing one must acknowledge about 95% of HR people is this: they work for management. They are hired and fired based on an ability to perform what management needs. In many cases, they are tasked with regulatory compliance, but it is with the interest of management in mind. By nature and training, HR people are nice, warm and good listeners. That does not mean they can or will take on the company to protect an employee. The minute an employee makes a claim (hard, soft or legal) against a company, HR people's first job is to protect the company.
I agree, same in the public sector. Their job was to make sure the organization followed the laws so they didn't get prosecuted or fined and avoided civil lawsuits for things such as wrongful termination, sexual harassment... Above them were the employment attorneys that HR consulted for some cases. Having said that, good HR staff hear things from employees and bring "strange supervisory practices" to the attention of management to get them rectified. If there are unions they meet with union reps. And HR staff keep supervisory and management staff updated on all federal and state law changes.

There is a big variation in policing in the US, we have too many departments which are expensive. Police chiefs are appointed and county sheriffs are elected, not sure electing sheriffs is any better. Departments have cultures and cultures can be really hard to change and turning any organization takes a tough leader at the top. Sometimes lawsuits are the best thing, expose the criminal behavior, convict and jail the guilty, lose millions on civil suits and terminate or retire personnel. City councils and county boards have to feel the financial pain or you don't get their attention. It takes politicians with the balls to start it rolling.
Last edited by highdesert on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

shinzen wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 am
YT- you've called Marlene "Maureen" in multiple threads. I'm not sure if you're doing it intentionally or not, but I haven't seen you present dyslexia with other members or topics.
I assure you it was not at all deliberate and for that I do apologize. Had it been mentioned sooner I would have been certain to rectify it.
I don't "do" passive-aggressive crap. I'm either straight-on in your face or trying to be polite.

That is a very interesting article. I've been a "prepper" since for ever. As a little kid, my grandmother, at my desperate request, gifted me one of those big fat swiss army knives. I had to have it, you see, because not only did it have a wood saw to cut fire wood, it also had a magnifying glass that could be used to start a fire (and, incidentally, burn insects--cruel but necessary scientific exploration at 6 years old). Late teens and early 20 came camping/backpacking which only fueled the need to be prepared. Then adult living in earthquake country. Then an enlightened understanding of how government functions/doesn't function. Then events like 9/11 and Katrina. Having a child pushed it into overdrive....

I don't hoard, just have the basics to get me and the family through 30 days of disrupted food/water/shelter/security disruption. There's no way to prep for "doomsday" beyond building a skill set and community.

Regarding police tactics, agree with much of what has been said and appreciate the comments. Most of us white men really have no idea or personal experience with systemic suppression/oppression.

featureless wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:48 pm Regarding police tactics, agree with much of what has been said and appreciate the comments. Most of us white men really have no idea or personal experience with systemic suppression/oppression.
My older brother got beaten on by Hizzoner's cops at an anti-war demonstration in Chicago back in the late 60's.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:54 pm
featureless wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:48 pm Regarding police tactics, agree with much of what has been said and appreciate the comments. Most of us white men really have no idea or personal experience with systemic suppression/oppression.
My older brother got beaten on by Hizzoner's cops at an anti-war demonstration in Chicago back in the late 60's.
Isn't being beaten at an anti-war demonstration a badge of honor? (kidding). The 60s was not something I experienced, but agree with your point. I should have added "in our 40s or younger" to my post.

featureless said:

I don't hoard, just have the basics to get me and the family through 30 days of disrupted food/water/shelter/security disruption. There's no way to prep for "doomsday" beyond building a skill set and community.

Regarding police tactics, agree with much of what has been said and appreciate the comments. Most of us white men really have no idea or personal experience with systemic suppression/oppression.
I am about the same. I have 30 days. As for skill sets - I am good there. I have slide rules, math tables (on paper) and many things that would be needed in the case of a shutdown.

Community? Not so much. I see the need, but not a practical path to building a community with my lifestyle and location(s).

HuckleberryFun wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:32 am Leftists also know “the center cannot hold, things fall apart, mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...”
Interview with a San Francisco Anarchist sex worker doomsday prepper.

https://narratively.com/secret-life-of- ... y-prepper/

Interesting article. Thanks for posting that!

A civil insurrection doesn't last forever, so you don't have to prep for a zombie apocalypse to survive it. I bet there are a lot more non-standard prepper-types out there than expected.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

max129 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:09 pm I have slide rules, math tables (on paper) and many things that would be needed in the case of a shutdown.
LOL! I also have a slide rule. I've always wanted to put it in a glass display case with a small hammer attached on chain. In case of computing emergency, break glass."

I live in hurricane country, so prepping is something I *should* do. I did do it for a while and got to use some of those supplies when Ike hit a few years back. These days I'm afraid I'm lazy and unprepared. I should fix that.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I tend to buy some Mountain House cans (last for many years) when they are on 25% sale. Also, the LDS church sells very inexpensive prepping supplies and food (25 year expiration). Water filters can be stored for a long time, but keeping some fresh water stored (bottled) is a very good idea. I got into prepping after experiencing sudden layoffs and some hurricanes, ice storms, etc in an unprepared state too many times. I've been through civil insurrection and martial law.

After the 2016 election, I felt very happy that I had started prepping years ago. I just assumed preppers were mostly right-wingers, too. I hope it is more evenly divided. The right-wingers tend to focus on ammo and weapons too much. When they realize they have almost no water, they will become desperate and bold. The first week is always the most dangerous.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt