Re: Check out my fake Johnson

I couldn’t take looking at that 90s cheese grater on top of my lovely 40s-lookin rifle. Also, I despise AR-15 charging handles.

Picatinny GONE. Upper modified for side-charging handle (reciprocating like a proper unrefined weapon of war). Plug for top charging handle hole is one piece with a milled body for a 1903-A3 rear sight. I’ll round the corners and such, but I’m still fitting, which is the step before finishing.
Attachments
D0A4FF9D-8F4C-4220-8852-6B82BF8EF970.jpeg
3624F352-B0FE-438A-B425-28E7BC61C232.jpeg

Lookin nice! 👍

Thanks for that “sproing” explanation Shinzen. Didn’t know an internal spring could snake down in an angle like that into the wood stock and still do it’s job.
Last edited by Bisbee on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I would definitely not try drilling a bolt carrier without at least a drill press, if not a milling machine. Cobalt drill bit is the minimum and a straight flute carbide bit is a better choice. A cobalt tap did just fine, after a terrifying moment of almost breaking a high speed steel tap off in the hole.

After my first attempt to drill and tap, I would have bought a drilled carrier if that was a reasonably priced option. Since the SCR carrier is non-standard, I had to continue and figure it out.

If you want specific cutting tool recs by part number, let me know. I’m happy to share.

Marlene wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:27 am I would definitely not try drilling a bolt carrier without at least a drill press, if not a milling machine. Cobalt drill bit is the minimum and a straight flute carbide bit is a better choice. A cobalt tap did just fine, after a terrifying moment of almost breaking a high speed steel tap off in the hole.

After my first attempt to drill and tap, I would have bought a drilled carrier if that was a reasonably priced option. Since the SCR carrier is non-standard, I had to continue and figure it out.

If you want specific cutting tool recs by part number, let me know. I’m happy to share.
Good stuff! Your rifle looks great, by the way. Lack of side "charging" is my only real complaint with my SCR. I do have a drill press. I may lack intestinal fortitude to do the drilling! I'll certainly hit you up for part numbers if/when I decide to go for it. Thanks.

Threw some black paint on the bare metal parts, this is the first real mechanically complete assembly of the gun.

I’ve got some sight details to work out on first firing (unsure of front blade height).

This is not the final wood, but close enough for now. Expect it to look more Garand-like in finish, like the forend.
Attachments
D14B19C4-A8F6-4B54-A01D-1761BCEEF1C7.jpeg

Took a while to get a little welding done (my neighborhood blacksmith was out of argon, like always happens when you need them most). Got everything squared away mechanically and finally got it to the range tonight.

My math was right on! Front blade height was well within the range of rear sight adjustment. I’ll dial things in more precisely when I’m done with the cosmetics. It works exactly as intended. No hiccups at all. Digested a variety of ammo without complaint. Balance and handling are excellent.

Now to start sorting out the cosmetics...
Wood still needs work
Then comes the paint situation.

I really liked shooting this thing. It’s pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

Marlene wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:18 am Took a while to get a little welding done (my neighborhood blacksmith was out of argon, like always happens when you need them most). Got everything squared away mechanically and finally got it to the range tonight.

My math was right on! Front blade height was well within the range of rear sight adjustment. I’ll dial things in more precisely when I’m done with the cosmetics. It works exactly as intended. No hiccups at all. Digested a variety of ammo without complaint. Balance and handling are excellent.

Now to start sorting out the cosmetics...
Wood still needs work
Then comes the paint situation.

I really liked shooting this thing. It’s pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.
I believe that warrants a "Yay!!" Maybe even two. :D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.