Re: Die recommendations and tips for 7.62x53R

So just for clarification, when you slugged the barrel, the .311 (7.62) bullets are a better overall fit, yeah? The D166 is the link Marlene had originally provided, which is a .310 bullet at 200gr, but for some reason her link just brings you to the main page. Here's the updated one:
https://www.lapua.com/bullets/d166/

You can get them on Midway here:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10107 ... box-of-100

That said, another great choice is the Sierra Matchking in 174gr:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14822 ... -boat-tail

When I started reloading, the Lapuas were tough to find. I've had excellent success with the Sierras and 4350 powder. They are also less expensive than the Lapua bullets, by about $15/100, even better when you buy a box of 500.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Marlene wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 pm Tell us what the slugged groove diameter of the barrel is. “Better fit” assumes a lot.
The M28/76 slugged lands at about .300 and grooves at about .309. My thought on the the better fit is based on how the rifle shot. Both rounds went downrange. When I was sighting in either Lapua it just appeared to be a bit tighter as the group moved toward the center. The PPU while not bad was higher and shot more left to right. I did manage to get the PPU on target as well. Here’s a pic of my progression with the Lapua first shot is on the left lower off the target and the next four on the target as I incrementally clicked the sights. I changed the elevation a bit and it was near center vertical so I countinued tuning the sight until I started to hit red. Soon after switched to the PPU and the spread got wider and higher the target was at 50 yards. I did try the PPU at 100 and did end with one in the red, but it just seemed like it didn’t shoot as consistently even with my bad eyes.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
61FB862C-6274-40D6-969D-8EF92CCE841A.jpeg
0E56E587-843C-448C-A8B2-14C7D758F447.jpeg
E1C94C0B-A4CF-4E9F-9B01-B7B6E9D415BF.jpeg

Marlene wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:05 pm .309 groove diameter is loose for a target gun that's supposed to shoot .308 bullets, but being a bit tight for .310 bullets probably shoots them quite well.

Lapua ammo is so much better than PPU that the comparison speaks only of the comparison between ammo and not bullet sizes.
Ok, check if my though is sort of right using Lapua bullets.
1. For reloading the Lapua 7.62x53R options are .308 D46, Scenar, Scenar-L, and FMJ.
2. For reloading the PPU 7.62x54R options are .310 Lapua D166.
3. If I stick to the original bullet size for both cases do I need additional tools for the neck?
4. Is there any consideration I need to make in buying dies? Will the same 7.62x54R die work on both cases and bullet sizes. Any preferable brand? Will be using a RCBS press.

Thanks y’all for the help. I’m probably asking things in an awkward way, but I’m trying to work out a picture I understand.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
FE6863D3-9E02-4494-9603-1985662987AB.jpeg

Marlene wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:23 pm I’m suggesting that you load the D166 bullets in to either brass with 7.62x54r dies. I’m also saying that loading.308 bullets in either case will probably work with the same dies.

My understanding is that the only difference between the 53r and 54r specs is bullet diameter and trim length. Someone please confirm that I am correct on this?
A rule of thumb would be groove dimension plus .001?

Marlene wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:23 pm I’m suggesting that you load the D166 bullets in to either brass with 7.62x54r dies. I’m also saying that loading.308 bullets in either case will probably work with the same dies.

My understanding is that the only difference between the 53r and 54r specs is bullet diameter and trim length. Someone please confirm that I am correct on this?
That is correct from everything I've read as well. VV load data has them listed as the same for their load data, and the measurements between the two (illustrations anyway) are the same. Trim to length on the 53r is 2.098" vs the 54r being 2.105"
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I’ve been looking at the die sets, there are full length, 2 die sets, 3 die sets, RCBS, Forster, Lee, Lyman... It’s a bit intimidating. Some come with expander for .308 and .310... Yes, I’m probably over thinking this, unfortunately it’s part of my nature. I know a few of you load 7.62x54R, so which is your favorite die set and why?

Marlene wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:08 pm Read everything in that book except the actual load data cover-to-cover twice. Then, refer back to it as you start loading and learning more. Data can come from other places, but the non-data parts of the book are really important for you to learn.
Ok.