Beto O'Rourke 2020

He's officially in the race. Now we need to convince him to drop the gun control and focus on the rest of his message. LGC actionable?

If he holds true to the following, he's got my vote.
He said that "the most pressing, the most urgent, the most existential challenge of them all is climate. And the scientists, beyond a shadow of a doubt, know that we have at a maximum 12 years in order to enact significant change to meet that threat and reduce the consequences of the decisions that we made in the past -- the consequences that our kids and the generations that follow will bear."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/14/politics ... index.html

Re: Beto O'Rourke 2020

ontheissues.org has nothing on him.

Where Beto O’Rourke Stands on the Issues
Mr. O’Rourke arguably first made his name when, after the shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando in 2016, he live-streamed the sit-in he and other Democratic representatives were holding on the House floor in support of stricter gun laws.

The Republican-controlled Congress did not pass any gun control legislation then, but Mr. O’Rourke continues to support similar policies, including universal background checks, magazine size limits and restrictions on some semiautomatic weapons.

He also opposes concealed carry reciprocity, which would make concealed carry permits granted in any state valid nationwide, forcing states with strict licensing requirements to recognize permits from states with looser standards. It is one of the National Rifle Association’s legislative priorities.
Where does Beto O'Rourke, the latest Democratic contender for president, stand on the issues?
O’Rourke has often bragged about having an “F” rating from the National Rifle Association. But he’s also said he supports Texas’ “proud and honorable tradition of responsible gun ownership for hunting, sport, self-defense and collecting.”

His policy positions likely put him within the Democratic mainstream.

He supports universal background checks. He pushed to ban bump stocks. He’s opposed concealed carry reciprocity. He wants to ban all AR-15-style rifles, saying that the gun was designed “to kill people as effectively and efficiently as possible on the battlefield.”
Beto O'Rourke talks gun control at Houston campaign events
During a pair campaign stops in Houston on Thursday, Democrat Beto O'Rourke jumped right into the middle of the gun regulation debate, saying he fully backs a call for universal background checks and a proposal to ban the sale of assault-style weapons.

"There is no reason that weapons of war should be sold to people in this country," O'Rourke told a rousing round of applause from supporters at a town hall meeting at the University of Houston on Thursday.

Hours earlier, he had a similar message at another town hall in the heart of Houston's East End. O'Rourke told that crowd that he is a co-sponsor on a bill that would ban the sale of weapons like the AR-15, which 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz used int the mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Fla., in February. An AR-15 was also used in 2012 in the mass killings of 27 -- mostly children -- at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

He supports universal background checks. He pushed to ban bump stocks. He’s opposed concealed carry reciprocity. He wants to ban all AR-15-style rifles, saying that the gun was designed “to kill people as effectively and efficiently as possible on the battlefield.”
So was the matchlock.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

No chance he’s going to change his position. He’s in Bloomberg’s pocket.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I have no doubt that O'Rourke will go along with any and all gun control measures. However, he is the only candidate to put climate change at the forefront of our various crises. I will support the right of all of our children to have a livable climate over all other issues. Without a world in which to live, none of the other shit matters at all.

There is also the notion that his gun control rhetoric tanked his run in 2018. Perhaps with the appropriate education and outreach, he can be convinced that gun rights can coexist with something along the lines of the Green New Deal that would effectively implement much of the root cause mitigation we go on about and allow him to step back from the gun controversy and let the courts settle it out. Dreaming again.

The Dems have a lot of candidates who appeal to different wings of the party. For me it's who has government experience hopefully on a state and national level and then where they stand on individual issues. The chance of a former congressman winning the WH is very slim, his chances would be greater if he actually defeated Cruz and was a sitting US senator. I'd never vote for Harris, but at least she has experience on a county, state and national level. And ultimately which candidate is most electable that
means winning 270 electoral votes, not just the popular vote.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 am The Dems have a lot of candidates who appeal to different wings of the party. For me it's who has government experience hopefully on a state and national level and then where they stand on individual issues. The chance of a former congressman winning the WH is very slim, his chances would be greater if he actually defeated Cruz and was a sitting US senator. I'd never vote for Harris, but at least she has experience on a county, state and national level. And ultimately which candidate is most electable that
And a Mr. Highdesert Killjoy, too. Humph. Can't I have 60 minutes to savor the idea of a progressive candidate that will prioritize us no killing our home? :lol:

featureless wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 am
highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 am The Dems have a lot of candidates who appeal to different wings of the party. For me it's who has government experience hopefully on a state and national level and then where they stand on individual issues. The chance of a former congressman winning the WH is very slim, his chances would be greater if he actually defeated Cruz and was a sitting US senator. I'd never vote for Harris, but at least she has experience on a county, state and national level. And ultimately which candidate is most electable that
And a Mr. Highdesert Killjoy, too. Humph. Can't I have 60 minutes to savor the idea of a progressive candidate that will prioritize us no killing our home? :lol:
Sorry featureless, I'm often accused of being too much a realist and not enough of an idealist. One of my many failings, I don't think I'll outgrow it. :lol:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 am
Sorry featureless, I'm often accused of being too much a realist and not enough of an idealist. One of my many failings, I don't think I'll outgrow it. :lol:
I'm right there with you. However, every now and again, we must pause to sniff the roses and daydream. It's good for the health.

I don't think Beto is ready to be president, but I hope he is able to push other candidates to pay more attention to environmental issues.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

featureless wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 pm @ Eris and Huck: Not intended as snark, you got a better option currently?
Right now I support Bernie. Even sent him $50. I'll probably end up supporting whoever gets the Dem nomination, but Bernie is my preference. I like Beto, mostly (obviously don't like his stance on guns), but I don't think he has the experience needed to be president. He might make a good VP pick, but honestly, I'd rather see him try to get back in Congress by running for the House or the Senate. Maybe he could run for statewide office in Texas.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:32 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 pm @ Eris and Huck: Not intended as snark, you got a better option currently?
Right now I support Bernie. Even sent him $50. I'll probably end up supporting whoever gets the Dem nomination, but Bernie is my preference. I like Beto, mostly (obviously don't like his stance on guns), but I don't think he has the experience needed to be president. He might make a good VP pick, but honestly, I'd rather see him try to get back in Congress by running for the House or the Senate. Maybe he could run for statewide office in Texas.
Thanks for this. I like Sanders, too. I fear he is past his prime and the job would kill him.

Here'e a Vanity Fair article on Beto's past. He has a lot of faults but apparently seems able to learn from them. He is cognizant of the fact running against Trump isn't enough, there needs to be a vision of what happens if he wins. He even reads, gasp, books.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/03 ... verso=true

I'll vote for Beto for either Prez or VP. His or anyone else's gun stance doesn't mean jack shit to overall need to be rid of Orange Scourge and I'm not about to slit my own throat over one ignoble stance. FDT
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 pm I'll vote for Beto for either Prez or VP. His or anyone else's gun stance doesn't mean jack shit to overall need to be rid of Orange Scourge and I'm not about to slit my own throat over one ignoble stance. FDT
Beto is too much like Hillary: triangulating, wishy-washy, and being all things to all people.
He lacks character. That kind of candidate used to fly, but not anymore. Things have changed.
A pretty face and not much else won’t cut it. If Beto is the candidate Trump may well win.

Trump may well win regardless of whom the Dems run. But it damned sure won't be on my vote. Hell, I'd vote for a mushroom before Trump. I'm actually looking forward to the Dem debates and that's abbynormal for me.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... n=msn_feed
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

featureless wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 am
sikacz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 am He’s in Bloomberg’s pocket.
Way to kill my enthusiasm, Mr. Sikacz Killjoy.
A few of us tried talking to him during his last run. He totally ignored us and it was later confirmed that he had ties to Bloomberg. Someone else better step forward. Someone that is green and liberal. He’s a son of privilege and I don’t believe his lip service is anything, but an appeal populism and the youth vote that has unfortunately adopted an authoritarian stance. It’s the younger generation without experience deciding some of us don’t need some rights because they don’t see a need for that particular right. If we can’t save the planet without giving up rights we are lost anyway.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm
A few of us tried talking to him during his last run. He totally ignored us and it was later confirmed that he had ties to Bloomberg. Someone else better step forward. Someone that is green and liberal. He’s a son of privilege and I don’t believe his lip service is anything, but an appeal populism and the youth vote that has unfortunately adopted an authoritarian stance. It’s the younger generation without experience deciding some of us don’t need some rights because they don’t see a need for that particular right. If we can’t save the planet without giving up rights we are lost anyway.
Well, hi disinterest in listening does no help my enthusiasm. If ya won't listen while running, you sure as hell won't if elected.

featureless wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:48 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm
Well, hi disinterest in listening does no help my enthusiasm. If ya won't listen while running, you sure as hell won't if elected.
If Bloomberg is funding him, Beto won't change his position on firearms. There are other candidates and hopefully one will evolve their position on 2A and firearms. Up until the recent legislation signed by a Rep governor, Vermont has be a standout, the original constitutional carry, never needed a concealed carry license... Will the left pressure Bernie to get tough on guns?

I’m just going to through this out. No matter how ludicrous, some day someone will propose that the only way to save humanity and our planet is rapid depopulation. Since we have not invested in technology and exploring possibilities to expand outward from this globe the solution is pretty clear. Those with effective control of resources and power are not going to volunteer to be the ones to sacrifice themselves for humanity. The ones to go will be the weakest and the ones without the means to resist.There’s a reason the one percent hoard wealth and power and want to control the rest of us. They know that eventually someone has to be expendable and it won’t be them.

sikacz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:24 pm I’m just going to through this out. No matter how ludicrous, some day someone will propose that the only way to save humanity and our planet is rapid depopulation. Since we have not invested in technology and exploring possibilities to expand outward from this globe the solution is pretty clear. Those with effective control of resources and power are not going to volunteer to be the ones to sacrifice themselves for humanity. The ones to go will be the weakest and the ones without the means to resist.There’s a reason the one percent hoard wealth and power and want to control the rest of us. They know that eventually someone has to be expendable and it won’t be them.
Boy, you're full of happy thoughts today, not that I disagree with this. I'm not certain it's a conscious decision, but it is the way the world works. Maximize your benefit and protect it.