too many guns.

A place to review and talk about firearms, ammunition, optics, etc.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

too many guns.

#1 Post by lurker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:49 pm

:o
i know, heresy. but hear me out.
today on the way to the range a strange notion popped into my head, which was reenforced by the excessive number of malfs i experienced. i have too many guns. like the mother of too many children, or a dog rescuer who has too many dogs, :love: i can't (am unwilling to) dedicate the necessary time and attention to them all. so the ones i enjoy the least need to find new homes. or maybe i just need to sell them all one at a time until i feel the pinch. :confused: it's for their own good, really. :wavecry: talk sense to me, i beg of you.
:wacko:

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: too many guns.

#2 Post by featureless » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Don't do it! Sometimes, having a collection of something you love is its own justification. Use the ones you prefer to use and fondle/gaze affectionately at the rest.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by senorgrand » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:00 pm

Rank-order your favorites, then look at the bottom 20%. Sell that shit and buy nice stuff (like custom grips) for the top 20%. Repeat as necessary.

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#4 Post by Hiker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:39 pm

Twenty five years ago, I had a Colt AR-15, West German Sig 226, S&W model 19, and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. And I was happy and felt complete. I loved those guns and could shoot them really well.
But I sold them all to pay medical bills. Ever since I have been looking for the guns that would give me that same satisfaction I had then. I just can't find it.
But there are a few that I need to sell. Just haven't got around to it yet. SenorGrand, I like your suggestion. I may just do this.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by Marlene » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:20 pm

You don't need to sell any in order to focus on one or two for a while. I have tons of projects in-progress, and plenty of nifty things to play with when the fancy strikes, but when it is time to grab a gun to take on a shooting trip, it's almost always my bargain rack cut-down Krag.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#6 Post by Bisbee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 pm

You could Marie Kondo your gun collection.
“Does this spark joy when I hold it?”

71676E52-C7B5-438B-883C-74AEBCEA53D7.jpeg
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by lurker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:34 pm

well lets see. long guns:
there's the core collection: usgi main battle rifles
1861 springfield *
trapdoor
krag
----
m1917
garand
m14s (polytech) **
ar15
and then there's the stuff that sorta crept in around the edges: expendable
10/22
mossy 802 plinkster
chinese sks
sportsmans cleveland sxs 12 ga
maybe i should rehome the expendables and then think about how i feel about the matter.

eta: added 1861, m14s
Last edited by lurker on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by max129 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:37 pm

I regret about 50% of the guns I have sold. I think it was a mistake. Regret lists are very personal, so I won't go into the details.

I use the "guilt" method to decide what to shoot each week. Anything I have neglected too long gets serious consideration.

Last week I was in Taos NM and went through the hassle of airport gun check. A real pain. And I did not go shooting while I was there.

But I recently took my two .38 SP double action revolvers out to the range - it was really great.

Storage - that is the key. You just need a place to store the overflow.

I personally think the rotation of firearms makes me a better overall shooter.

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by max129 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Also, please use standard American English for post subjects. The very foreign phrase
"too many guns"
makes no sense to me at all.

Thanks

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#10 Post by K9s » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:43 pm

max129 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Also, please use standard American English for post subjects. The very foreign phrase
"too many guns"
makes no sense to me at all.

Thanks
This is the one post on this thread that makes any sense at all.

Remember, lurker, they don't import some of those firearms any more. Think long and hard before you get rid of the Garand, SKS, etc. At least give one of us a shot at them first, if you do sell. I have a nice SKS collection, for example.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

#11 Post by max129 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:51 pm

Garand, SKS
Um, hell yes. PM me if you are losing the Garand :-)

shinzen
Site Admin

#12 Post by shinzen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Marlene wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:20 pm
You don't need to sell any in order to focus on one or two for a while. I have tons of projects in-progress, and plenty of nifty things to play with when the fancy strikes, but when it is time to grab a gun to take on a shooting trip, it's almost always my bargain rack cut-down Krag.
Agreed. Although my go to gun at this point is probably my P-01 or 22/45. For rifles for some weird reason I still love my VZ 58. Probably because it was the biggest pain in the ass to put together.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#13 Post by K9s » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:25 pm

shinzen wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 pm
Marlene wrote:
Agreed. Although my go to gun at this point is probably my P-01 or 22/45. For rifles for some weird reason I still love my VZ 58. Probably because it was the biggest pain in the ass to put together.
LOL

The VZ is my hands down favorite not-an-AK AK-looking rifle. I would have bought two and a parts kit if I knew then what I know now. VZs are awesome!
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#14 Post by Bisbee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 pm

Yes, VZ’s rule! And Shinzen’s brilliant idea of affixing the mag to load rifle from top w stripper clips makes it a perfectly legal CA rifle, pistol grip and all.

Well, I was actually thinking of putting my Finnish Mosin M91 in the LGS (the one I got from CD) simply because I don’t shoot it very often and it’s so damned long it doesn’t fit well into my safe. The good guys there explained that all the Finnish Mosins are pretty much done in Finland and what’s here Stateside is pretty much all we will see in the future... meaning the prices will only go up from this point forward.

During our conversation he found an original Finnish bayonet for my M91 in his stash and offered to sell it to me with the leather scabbard... The price he gave was slightly less than what I paid for just a cleaning rod shipped from Finland. Ended up buying the bayo to complete my collection.

Afflictionado ...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

shinzen
Site Admin

#15 Post by shinzen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:32 am

K9s wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:25 pm
shinzen wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 pm
Marlene wrote:
LOL

The VZ is my hands down favorite not-an-AK AK-looking rifle. I would have bought two and a parts kit if I knew then what I know now. VZs are awesome!
Mine was built from a parts kit and I adore it. Others may not find it as appealing, but frankly, I don't care. Mine is my precious. With a beech stock instead of beaver barf.

shinzen
Site Admin

#16 Post by shinzen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:33 am

Bisbee wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 pm
Yes, VZ’s rule! And Shinzen’s brilliant idea of affixing the mag to load rifle from top w stripper clips makes it a perfectly legal CA rifle, pistol grip and all.

Well, I was actually thinking of putting my Finnish Mosin M91 in the LGS (the one I got from CD) simply because I don’t shoot it very often and it’s so damned long it doesn’t fit well into my safe. The good guys there explained that all the Finnish Mosins are pretty much done in Finland and what’s here Stateside is pretty much all we will see in the future... meaning the prices will only go up from this point forward.

During our conversation he found an original Finnish bayonet for my M91 in his stash and offered to sell it to me with the leather scabbard... The price he gave was slightly less than what I paid for just a cleaning rod shipped from Finland. Ended up buying the bayo to complete my collection.

Afflictionado ...
I wish I'd invented the idea, but I happily stole the idea. :) And because of it I still have all the features.

FlyGuy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#17 Post by FlyGuy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:11 am

The way I deal with this is to set a number limit on my collection. Any more then that number is a "CRAZY" amount, almost "ARSENAL" status according to the media. If I really want to buy a new gun, I force myself to give one (or more) up. In fact I recently traded four for one, even money. This gave me the opportunity to upgrade to better stuff. Although, I am running out of things I don't want to see go. So, maybe this isn't the right plan for someone without a whole hell of a lot of self control.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#18 Post by Hiker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 am

I have a friend and shooting buddy that says her guns are like children to her, and she would never dream of giving them up for adoption.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#19 Post by Marlene » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:33 am

I could see selling some of those expendables to fund an 03 or 03A3

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#20 Post by CDFingers » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 am

Marlene wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:33 am
I could see selling some of those expendables to fund an 03 or 03A3
Yeah: convert the expendables to something groovy.

CDFingers
ImageImage
We used to play for silver, now we play for life.
One's for sport and one's for blood at the point of a knife.

shinzen
Site Admin

#21 Post by shinzen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:02 am

Yep. I am a fan of upgrading the collection in that method. I'm at either 1 in, 1 out or 1 in, 2 out at this point.

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#22 Post by Bucolic » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 am

I am approaching one in, one out. I have pretty much culled the ones I don’t love. Two issues:

I still want the Dan Wesson Bruin 1911 that has a siren’s song that nearly draws me onto the rocks every time I walk by it.

In the long term, I have no progeny or even nephews and nieces who would have any interest in any of them so I probably should thin the herd and sell some of them.

But I do love them so.
Neverthless, she persisted.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#23 Post by lurker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:24 am

Bucolic wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 am
I have no progeny or even nephews and nieces who would have any interest
hi, dad! :sneaky:
wait, i'm trying to get rid of guns, not get more... :wall:

shinzen
Site Admin

#24 Post by shinzen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:27 am

Wait, I thought you both adopted me?

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#25 Post by Bucolic » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 am

See!! I must be on the doorstep of dementia! I already forgot you.

Neverthless, she persisted.