Re: too many guns.

I'm with SG, but it is a very individual decision based on your logic not mine. Sorry Hiker that you had to sell yours off, health comes first. Hopefully you can start replacing them.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Walk away from the keyboard! Do not go on gunbroker. This is a temporary illness and you’ll feel better soon. Take out a gun and just take it fully apart and reassemble. Repeat each day until you have disassembled every gun and put them all together. Then setup a schedule. You will take one, only one gun at a time to the range. After you have gone through everyone repeat. Then reconsider if any are worth selling.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

highdesert wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:25 pm ...Sorry Hiker that you had to sell yours off, health comes first. Hopefully you can start replacing them.
Yeah, that's the problem. I have replaced them. About 6 times over. It's just not the same, but then, neither am I. But there are a few that I would like to get rid of.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I gave any of my "extras" away to (mostly) family. I am pretty good about looking around and waiting for a good price if I really want something. I would have a hard time parting with most of what I have now.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:15 am I gave any of my "extras" away to (mostly) family. I am pretty good about looking around and waiting for a good price if I really want something. I would have a hard time parting with most of what I have now.
hi, dad! wait, wait, getting rid...(why does this sound familiar?)
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I am also dealing with the same question, although my collection is much more modest.

Recently, I have been feeling less inclined towards holding on to guns that are not rare or collectible and that I just am not shooting much, if at all. The ones that I don’t shoot are both in current production and, hence, easily replaceable if I change my mind in the future.

I also need to start doing more training and my budget doesn’t allow for this and acquiring more firearms, at least at the rate that I have acquired them over the past couple of years since I became a gun person. At this point in time, I feel that any new firearms that I acquire need to bring something new to my collection, and I am more inclined to refine my collection than I am to expand it.

I have sold four guns in the past. The one that I would potentially take back was the CZ-75B that I sold. One of these days, I would like to get a pre-B version (preferably made in Czechoslovakia) just because I am a die-hard CZ fanboy.

In the meantime, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a KAC SR15 and could use the proceeds from selling the guns that I’m just not shooting to soften the financial blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shinzen wrote:
Marlene wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:20 pm You don't need to sell any in order to focus on one or two for a while. I have tons of projects in-progress, and plenty of nifty things to play with when the fancy strikes, but when it is time to grab a gun to take on a shooting trip, it's almost always my bargain rack cut-down Krag.
Agreed. Although my go to gun at this point is probably my P-01 or 22/45. For rifles for some weird reason I still love my VZ 58. Probably because it was the biggest pain in the ass to put together.
I fucking love my P-01.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lurker wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:47 am
K9s wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:15 am I gave any of my "extras" away to (mostly) family. I am pretty good about looking around and waiting for a good price if I really want something. I would have a hard time parting with most of what I have now.
hi, dad! wait, wait, getting rid...(why does this sound familiar?)
Hey? Aren't you Bucolic's crazy kid who wants to get rid of your guns?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

eelj wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:52 pm I think your military collection is woefully lacking, not a single muzzle loader in the set. Even if you where going to restrict it to rifles only there where some great ones from about 1793 on. Common get with the program.
the whole thing started with a replica 1861 springfield, and there's the sharps carbine and sharps infantry rifle, all of which i still have. i should probably get a flintlock of some sort too, but to tell the truth i don't feel like dealing with the hassles of flint.

Did you decide to send the SKS and Garand to me for safekeeping yet? Until you come to your senses?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

No, I think you're being rational and pragmatic. Too many guns is a slippery slope that's too easy to fall into. It's tough to get over the idea that you have to possess them to enjoy them. I pick the best guns for the situations I'm likely to encounter and do my best to be competent with each in it's appropriate context. "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!". While I wouldn't advise just one, the principal applies.
"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata

K9s wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:20 pm Did you decide to send the SKS and Garand to me for safekeeping yet? Until you come to your senses?
i decided NOT to send them to you for safekeeping, because i might not be able to get them back after i come to my senses.