Re: What did you reload today?

I moved to an apartment and sold my house last year. Then in October I bought 3.5 acres of raw desert 20 miles east of Kingman, AZ on Route 66. I put in 2 sheds. One is a 10' X 12' with solar power for my shop and the other is smaller, 6 X 8, just for storage. I'm just finishing up a shed for my side by side.

My first reloading in a year was 6.5 X 55 Mauser, 7 X 57 Mauser, .30 Herrett, and 6.5 Grendel.

harriss wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:43 pm I moved to an apartment and sold my house last year. Then in October I bought 3.5 acres of raw desert 20 miles east of Kingman, AZ on Route 66. I put in 2 sheds. One is a 10' X 12' with solar power for my shop and the other is smaller, 6 X 8, just for storage. I'm just finishing up a shed for my side by side.

My first reloading in a year was 6.5 X 55 Mauser, 7 X 57 Mauser, .30 Herrett, and 6.5 Grendel.
i'd like to know more about this solar-powered shop.
i, too, am thinking of buying a couple of acres out in the sticks.
greeeeen acres is the place for me,,,,
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Marlene wrote:Nice. Glueing a piece of skinny pipe against one wall of the inside as an agitator will probably work to make it clean faster. The ones you buy are usually hexagonal on the inside.
I had leftover mud flap strips from when I made hangers for steel targets and I epoxied strips inside the pipe for agitators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife is convinced I am getting senile. A few years ago I bought a Winchester low wall in 25-20 WCF. I happened to mention to a friend of mine that when I got home and looked for ammo all I had was 25-20 single shot ammo. The next time I saw him he gave me a 50 cal ammo box full of cases and bullets for a present. I loaded up 50 rounds and happily shot my low wall. Eventually I sold the rifle. About a month ago I was digging through my reloading supplies to look for bullets and cases to load for a .257 Roberts I had just gotten. I happened to come upon the 25 WCF components and thought I should look for a nice rifle to shoot them in. I saw a beautiful Marlin Model 27 in 25-20, but couldn't make a deal with the owner. I was surprised, because over the years I had always been able to reach a fair price with him. This morning he called after 3 weeks to tell me he would take my offer. I happily drove the 1 1/2 hours to his home and bought the rifle. When I got home the light bulb finally went on in my head telling me that all the bullets my friend gave me were pointed which I couldn't use in a tubular magazine. I promptly called him to complain that it was his fault that I ended up with a rifle I couldn't shoot. :lol: For some strange reason both he and my wife told me it was proof that I am senile, but as luck would have it he also told me he had 250 flat nose 257 bullets I could have. I zoomed over to his house to get them and spent the rest of the day loading up 50 rounds while I watched the Duke/MSU game.

lurker wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:51 pm
harriss wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:43 pm I moved to an apartment and sold my house last year. Then in October I bought 3.5 acres of raw desert 20 miles east of Kingman, AZ on Route 66. I put in 2 sheds. One is a 10' X 12' with solar power for my shop and the other is smaller, 6 X 8, just for storage. I'm just finishing up a shed for my side by side.

i'd like to know more about this solar-powered shop.
i, too, am thinking of buying a couple of acres out in the sticks.
greeeeen acres is the place for me,,,,
It isn't exactly green, especially at the height of summer. I have 2 Renogy 100 Watt compact panels on adjustable mounts to change the angle from summer to winter. They charge 4 flooded lead acid deep cycle 6 volt Rolls Surrette batteries from a 40 Amp MPPT charge controller. The batteries are in a 12 volt series-parallel configuration. I have a 2000 Watt pure sine wave inverter. The cost for everything was about $1500. I have a backup 3500 watt dual fuel generator.

With the 40 Amp charge controller I can add 1 or 2 100 Watt panels later on.

Technically didn't reload them today, but as I'm new to the forum thought I could get away with sharing my recent loads.

I've been searching for a good all around 357 load. By all around I mean something that is more or less a magnum but reasonable to shoot and cheap to load. Call 'em magnum plinkers.

I found Speer makes a 158 gr HP and SP that might be plated in construction (not sure) but in any case they are like $14 a box. After playing with H110, AA9, 2400, Enforcer, HS6, CFE Pistol and maybe a few others I forgot about I bought some AA7. Worked up to a max charge of 11.5 gr which was the data in my Lyman 49th manual but a full grain over what Western currently lists. These had no signs of over pressure and extracted fine. Proof maybe that lawyers are writing reloading data these days.

Anyway, here's what I got from my 6" Blackhawk. For comparison, that's darn close to the best I've gotten with AA9 or H110 and "seemed" to shoot nicer and no fireball. Sure, a fireball is fun at times, but really like these so far. Didn't accuracy test. Just pressure testing. I haven't mastered crimping yet so maybe my H110 could be better.

Lately I have been focusing on .308 and .243. I have been doing final tweaks to OCW loads for both rifles. For those unfamiliar OCW stands for Optimum Charge Weight. http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ has a summary and description. Basically an OCW load will give good (and sometimes excellent) results
across several different rifles in the same caliber for instance Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM) ammo in .308 is well known to give sub-moa results on virtually any rifle bolt/gas 16 in barrel, 24 inch barrel 1:9 twist 1:10 twist etc. How does federal or any other Match grade amoo maker do this ?There is a theory behind why this is the case and is discussed in
http://www.the-long-family.com/OBT_paper.htm.

After having done load development across 6 different rifle calibers with over 500 different recipes (bullet powder, primer, brass, seating depth and concentricity) I was getting frustrated since some days I saw good results and other days what I consider poor results no matter how precise I was on the components. However, I would always see pretty good results with FGMM for my .308 rilfles no matter how good I was driving the rifle on any given day with the hand loads. I stumbled on this method,which if you read through the whole spiel, pretty much explains why. So if you reload for precision you may want to check this out cause it does save time and money.. I highly recommend

So to answer the question I reloaded 50 rounds of .308 with 42.9 grains of IMR-4064 under 168 HPBT (hronady) COAL 2.8 Brass Lake city which is an OCW load

DesDraws wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:58 am So to answer the question I reloaded 50 rounds of .308 with 42.9 grains of IMR-4064 under 168 HPBT (hronady) COAL 2.8 Brass Lake city which is an OCW load
Did you work up to 42.9 gr or are you just jumping there based on the OCW theory? I ask because that sounds too hot in LC brass. LC brass has a lower case volume compared to commercial .308 brass. My loads in LC brass with 4064 are around 41.0 - 41.5 gr with 168 gr Nosler CC and Rem 9 1/2 primers. I'm not sure I'll go much beyond that as I'm getting decent results at 41.0 gr.

If you haven't worked up that load in that brass with whatever primer I would seriously suggest loading up some below that and working up before pulling the trigger on those.

Finally sat down at the reloading bench after a month off due to illness and surgery. Loaded up a 2nd ladder of 140gr ELD Match with a narrow range of 48.4 - 49.6 gr of N165. I tried this before all my health issues with Nosler reduced drag bullets and got terrible results compared to my initial range with ELD-M bullets, so looking to see if the ELD perform more like the initial ladder.