Re: Georgia governor signs ‘heartbeat bill,’ giving the state one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the nation

CDFingers wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:12 am 2A or the right of a woman to own her body.

That is now the binary choice.
Wrong. The 4th Amendment is equally strong as the 2nd. We get both with the proper government. Don't fall for their crap.

CDFingers
Where are you going to find that "proper government"?
You'll find the pink unicorn with the golden horn first.

Dems attack the 2nd Amendment. Republicans are attacking Articles I, II, and III of the Constitution, Habeas Corpus, the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 22nd, and 24th Amendments.

And when you lose all the others, you WILL lose 2A--because that is what every dictator who collapses does--takes his enemies' guns away.

I'm not falling for crap. I'm reading the Constitution and watching the ReFascistcans disassemble our Constitution and have been watching it accelerate for many years. The attacks on Women's bodies.

Just now, at 8:12 PM EDT, it just came over the news that Trump just asked Barr to investigate Joe Biden.

Make your choice, and make it wisely.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: Georgia governor signs ‘heartbeat bill,’ giving the state one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the nation

kronkmusic wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 pm Multiple film and television production companies are already leaving the state. Film and TV production has made Georgia tens of billions of dollars over the last decade and the industry employs almost 100,000 people in the state. These companies are serious, I've worked in the music business and around the film and TV businesses for my entire career, and I can tell you these people are not messing around, they will absolutely pack up their billions of dollars and leave town over this, and it's gonna do a real number on Georgia's economy.
VP Pence told everyone here at a rally "This isn't Hollywood!" and the Kemp/Trump crowd cheered.

Like many other red states, they don't care if they have to eat worms and live in a cardboard box. It is all about owning the libs to them.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:15 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:12 am 2A or the right of a woman to own her body.

Wrong. The 4th Amendment is equally strong as the 2nd. We get both with the proper government. Don't fall for their crap.

CDFingers

--snip--

My choice is not to listen to the bullshit calling for women to be second class citizens--servants, actually, or breeders--in exchange for some fucking law saying I may or may not have a gun. Fuck that. You know criminals will get guns. If it means I will become a criminal by fighting for women's ownership of their own bodies, then I shall become a criminal.

Fuck that shit, man. I will not allow it to happen on my watch. It shall not happen. I crap bigger turds than scumbuckets who would make that exchange. Grrrr.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:15 pm

CDFingers

--snip--

My choice is not to listen to the bullshit calling for women to be second class citizens--servants, actually, or breeders--in exchange for some fucking law saying I may or may not have a gun. Fuck that. You know criminals will get guns. If it means I will become a criminal by fighting for women's ownership of their own bodies, then I shall become a criminal.

Fuck that shit, man. I will not allow it to happen on my watch. It shall not happen. I crap bigger turds than scumbuckets who would make that exchange. Grrrr.

CDFingers
I'm not understanding you. You think I want women to be out of control of their bodies? I've been arguing for that right since I was in HS and Roe v. Wade hadn't yet reached the SCOTUS.

But what I'm saying is it's a hell of lot easier to fight to protect 2A right (especially since Heller) than it is to protect the 15 rights that are the entire support system of our system of government and freedom.

Do I like that all the Dems are advocating for policies that my knowledge of stats tells me cannot work? Of course not!

Plus, it's clear that in every nation that has attacked the 15 items (or their equivalent) next took arms away from anyone who would challenge them. If the fascist fuckheads take over the nation, they WILL come for your and my guns! And there won't be a Heller or any other Court decision you can go to fight for your rights. We'll devolve into armed chaos and storm trooper repression. We're already seeing signs of it at the Mexican border.

I think we've got a far better shot at protecting our one threatened right with the Democrats than with the threats from the others.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

K9s wrote:
kronkmusic wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 pm Multiple film and television production companies are already leaving the state. Film and TV production has made Georgia tens of billions of dollars over the last decade and the industry employs almost 100,000 people in the state. These companies are serious, I've worked in the music business and around the film and TV businesses for my entire career, and I can tell you these people are not messing around, they will absolutely pack up their billions of dollars and leave town over this, and it's gonna do a real number on Georgia's economy.
VP Pence told everyone here at a rally "This isn't Hollywood!" and the Kemp/Trump crowd cheered.

Like many other red states, they don't care if they have to eat worms and live in a cardboard box. It is all about owning the libs to them.
It's so insane. This industry is directly improving the lives of so many Georgians. Not just those directly employed, but all the ancillary economic activity that happens around it. Restaurants, hotels, car rentals, on and on. Yet so many of them would be happy to shoot themselves in the foot then look at you and scream "winning!" as they're bleeding all over the place. So much of the same his happening in midwest farm country right now. They're directly getting fucked by this administration, but somehow because billionaires get tax breaks and minorities and women are dehumanized, they feel like they're "winning."

As an interesting juxtaposition, I have a client who is a hardcore Trump supporter, yet 10 years ago he moved from a very liberal Manhattan to maybe an even more liberal Ft. Lauderdale, FL. So he absolutely hates liberals and everything they believe and stand for, but he absolutely loves the economic and lifestyle perks that come with living in a highly liberal area. He didn't move from NY to Alabama, or NY to Alaska, or NY to Wyoming. Shit, if it was just about the warm weather he could have moved to southern Texas. But no, he moved from one of the most liberal cities on the eastern seaboard to another one of the most liberal cities on the eastern seaboard, most certainly the most liberal in all of Florida by a country mile. The hypocrisy is so thick you could cut it with a spoon.

kronkmusic wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 pm
K9s wrote:

It's so insane. This industry is directly improving the lives of so many Georgians. Not just those directly employed, but all the ancillary economic activity that happens around it. Restaurants, hotels, car rentals, on and on. Yet so many of them would be happy to shoot themselves in the foot then look at you and scream "winning!" as they're bleeding all over the place. So much of the same his happening in midwest farm country right now. They're directly getting fucked by this administration, but somehow because billionaires get tax breaks and minorities and women are dehumanized, they feel like they're "winning."

As an interesting juxtaposition, I have a client who is a hardcore Trump supporter, yet 10 years ago he moved from a very liberal Manhattan to maybe an even more liberal Ft. Lauderdale, FL. So he absolutely hates liberals and everything they believe and stand for, but he absolutely loves the economic and lifestyle perks that come with living in a highly liberal area. He didn't move from NY to Alabama, or NY to Alaska, or NY to Wyoming. Shit, if it was just about the warm weather he could have moved to southern Texas. But no, he moved from one of the most liberal cities on the eastern seaboard to another one of the most liberal cities on the eastern seaboard, most certainly the most liberal in all of Florida by a country mile. The hypocrisy is so thick you could cut it with a spoon.
The GOP voters have been conned by the Tea Party and Koch brothers for a generation. They literally have no idea that they are just pawns of the wannabe feudal lord/gangster/televangelist millionaires here. I could say the same for Alabama and Mississippi, too. They just want to belong to something bigger than themselves and the leaders take advantage.

In other news today: "Gov. Brian Kemp vetoed legislation Friday that would have required elementary schools to schedule recess each day and a separate measure that would have made the k-12 system update safety plans and conduct drills in public schools. The Republican also nixed legislation that would have required a fiscal analysis before lawmakers could vote to extend some lucrative tax breaks, as well as a bill that would have restored citizens’ ability to sue their government over unconstitutional laws."
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mary McNamara at LA Times.
The only thing criminalizing abortion does is increase the number of women who either die or go to jail.

It is not a good look for the “Hollywood of the South,” and many in the entertainment industry have already threatened to boycott. The WGA {Writer's Guild of America] took issue with the “draconian anti-choice” law, Alyssa Milano sent Kemp a letter signed by more than 50 well-known actors, and David Simon engaged on Twitter. The MPAA also issued a more toothless statement, noting that the law may be delayed by the courts and that it is “monitoring the situation.” And studios, including Disney, which threatened to take its business out of Georgia if the state passed an anti-LGBTQ law in 2016, haven’t said much this week. In other words, reap those tax breaks while ye may.

Whether or not the law is delayed or struck down, Georgia is sending a message to its fellow Americans and those fellow Americans should respond. And not by continuing to pour billions into the Georgia economy and allowing the Georgia tourist bureau to use shows like “Stranger Things,” “The Walking Dead,” and “Ozark” and movies like “Ant-Man” and “Avengers: Infinity War” to lure visitors. It’s one thing if your show or movie is actually set in Atlanta. It’s another if you are using Georgia to pose for Missouri or Indiana or wherever else you once asked Toronto to fake.

Yes, Georgia has coastlines and forests and hills and hollers, but you know what? So do a lot of states. My home state of Maryland is called America in Miniature for a reason, and they have sweet tea there as well. Yes, many people in the local creative community would lose their jobs, but many of those workers are also women, and turning a blind eye on a law designed to frighten, punish and harm millions of women to preserve even 90,000 temporary jobs (even “The Walking Dead” won’t last forever) makes no sense.
And let’s be honest, no one decided to shoot in Georgia because of a desire to aid local workers. Georgia became a center of production only a decade ago when the state significantly upped its tax breaks. And if those tax breaks dried up, Hollywood would be out of there in a hot second, local workers be damned. So it’s really all about the money, and that money means something very different now. The majority of Americans believe abortion should be legal and any woman who has ever been pregnant will tell you that the six-week rule effectively bans all abortions.

Hollywood, my friend, boycotts work in all sorts of ways. In an oversaturated screen culture, even really good shows and films struggle to find large sustaining audiences. In an age of digital disruption, networks, studios and streaming services are constantly fighting for domination. So maybe it’s not the best idea to continue supporting a state that just produced an unconstitutional, lethal piece of legislation aimed directly at women. Who, in case you haven’t noticed, are already on their collective last nerve. Instead of “monitoring the situation” to see whether the law holds or not, Hollywood needs to leave now and return only when it is over-turned.

As Kemp said when he signed the bill: “We cannot change our values of who we are for money.” Hollywood executives should ask themselves how much those tax breaks will be worth if more than half the country decides to vote with their remote and boycott those shows and films made by people who decided to take a tax break rather than take a stand.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/l ... story.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:23 pm But what I'm saying is it's a hell of lot easier to fight to protect 2A right (especially since Heller) than it is to protect the 15 rights that are the entire support system of our system of government and freedom.

--snup--

I think we've got a far better shot at protecting our one threatened right with the Democrats than with the threats from the others.
In a less emotional state, I can step back and look at this.

It's pretty easy for white men to sell out the rights of others if we think we'll get something out of it. The history of America is rampant with examples. Turns my stomach. I'm an old white man.

The Constitution is not some piecemeal thing, the items of which being accepted and rejected willy nilly for some perceived advantage by a dominant sub group. The 14th Amendment should be your guide here. "All persons" is how it begins. Not "white males." Not "orange lying billionaires." Persons. No person shall be denied equal protection of the laws.

The 4th Amendment shows the right to privacy to be a real thing, a Constitutionally-protected thing, including the conversations between a woman and her doctor. The Amendment is not at all unclear on this point: "The right of the people [a bunch of 'persons'] to be secure [a state of existence; a condition] in their persons...shall not be violated."

Understanding that a slippery slope is also a thing, any fool who sells out one part of the Constitution in favor of another part, is DOING IT WRONG.

The Constitution is the whole cloth. You don't pick up a sleeve and call it a complete coat.

For me, and it should be for every American, the Constitution is an all or nothing endeavor. I'm all in because if it fails, there are no laws and no LEO's to come to my house to try and find my guns.

In case someone did not get the memo, women are persons. White guys had best pay attention there. People will be doing everything wrong if they allow anyone to sell out the rights of another.

Sure, it will be "easier" to not fight against the forces of regression, exploitation, sexism, and fascism to slowly undermine then destroy the rights of a segment of the population, a segment that does not contain you. But it would be wrong. Don't be lazy and sit back. Fight 'till your last granola bar, your last bullet, your last breath for equality. Or you'll be doing it wrong. Don't be "that guy."

CDFingers

TrueTexan wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:50 am CDF Well said. :thumbup:
I agree with the sentiment. I totally disagree with the action.
It's like putting ALL your money on double zero on a roulette wheel.

Another thread talks about ALEC and how fossil fuel companies are working to repeal the 1st Amendment right to peaceful protest, with felony penalties.
One of the new anti-Abortion laws would make it a felony to have an abortion in a state where they are legal, violating states' rights--the 10th Amendment--Fugitive Slave Act Version 2.0!
Multiple states are violating the 15th and 24th Amendments to suppress voting by minorities and Liberals.

All of these efforts are by legislators who (nominally) support 2A, and are opposed (not universally) by those who want more gun control.

If the Republican fascists cannot be stopped at the ballot box, then you WILL have either total authoritarianism or civil insurrection. But if the fascists can be stopped, and the Rule of Law and the Constitution restored, you will still have LEGAL paths to defend 2A.

We're fighting encroaching fascism here. That has to be the #1 priority.

There's a rule of thumb in developing any project that at every stage, fixing something that could have/should have been fixed in the previous stage now costs 10x as much. We've missed too many chances to stop the rise of fascism in America and our so-called Democratic "leaders" are still, mostly, in denial, possibly missing yet another chance to stop it, focusing on the wrong things, yet again. We already have concentration camps on our Southern border for poor people fleeing the deadliest place on earth: The Northern Triangle (worse than the ME). Their crimes? Brown skins, Spanish or indigenous speakers, no US passports.

Fascism MUST be stopped. Period.

I wouldn't limit it to white men, it's all men. And it's more than just American born males, plenty of immigrant men come from cultures where males dominate and abortion is condemned. Female genital mutilation is another way of controlling women.
Researchers estimate more than 513,000 girls and women in the U.S. have experienced or are at risk of FGM/C.Worldwide, as many as 140 million girls and women alive today have been cut.
Since FGM is illegal for women in the US, circumcision of male infants should also be illegal and that will be a battle. When it happens parents will be running to doctors for letters saying circumcision is medically necessary and it can't wait until the infant is an adult. Shades of the measles exemptions.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Circumcision for males has been a Jewish practice since Abraham and I have YET to hear anyone but a few wackos claim they've been damaged by it. It is about as similar to female circumcision as a vasectomy is to a total hysterectomy.
Men don't have their foreskin grafted back on, but many women have procedures to re-expose the remaining clitoris, as well as other surgeries for some semblance of normal function.

Just another anti-Semitic attack hiding behind "health".

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:41 am We're fighting encroaching fascism here. That has to be the #1 priority.

--snup--

Fascism MUST be stopped. Period.
I'm in agreement here. Nonetheless, we cannot let the tools of fascism take hold. This is why the abortion debate is so crucial.

At heart is the tacit acceptance that women are to be owned, controlled, dominated. That it's OK to make laws that penetrate inside their bodies, where men have so such laws. Moreover, the ones who make the laws that penetrate are almost all men. So again, another tool of fascism is the dominance of one class of people over another, and the acceptance that this should be so. Finally, allowing inequality to exist fuels social conflict of the gender variety, and this continues to destabilize society--fascism takes over amid chaos.

We cannot let sexism and male control over women remain institutionalized in the culture. That is why the abortion debate is so crucial. That is why understanding about how the 14th Amendment colors everything because "persons" and "equal protection." There is no other way under this Constitution. It's all or nothing. Or a Constitutional Convention. God forbid.

CDFingers

I have always wondered... what happens if Roe is overturned? What do they focus on next? Nothing is better for fundraising on the right than the abortion issue. The NRA is drowning in debt with Trump in office. How are they going to fundraise on "socialism"? This was always about money and political power. Even Trump was pro-choice until he found power with the far right Christian Nationalists.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

ErikO wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:32 pm Like I said on my FB wall, those who back this bullshit law and the one that come after are not my friends and really have no business talking to me under the color of such.
Only the furthest right of the right believe in this crap. It is mostly for them. And, of course, to own the libs and make liberals furious. It also makes a lot of money for those fake-religious lawyers who will be paid to fight this through the courts. It is just another con by the fake-religious right (many are lawyers) to make money. They will receive millions of taxpayer dollars and donations in this fake fight.

They intentionally made it extreme so courts would strike it down. They can then scream about the liberal courts (in Georgia?) before the elections. I think that they assume it will be struck down just before 2020 elections so they can turn out voters in this should-be-purple 50/50 state.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

This shouldn’t come as a surprise, since it’s a relationship that’s been known for years, but the states with the harshest restrictions on abortions also have the worst infant mortality rates. The correspondence is unmistakable, and not hard to explain: Those states’ governments also show the least concern for maternal and infant health in general, as represented by public policies.

Advocates of women’s healthcare rights moved promptly to issue reminders of the connection Tuesday, after the Republican-dominated Alabama Legislature passed the most draconian anti-abortion bill in the nation. Republican Gov. Kay Ivey signed the measure Wednesday. Alabama is one of two states, with Georgia, that enacted new abortion restrictions over the last week. Their records on maternal and infant health are shameful. Alabama is tied for fourth-worst place in infant mortality, with a rate of 7.4 deaths per 1,000 live births. Georgia, with a rate of 7.2, is tied for seventh-worst.

“In a state that has some of the worst health outcomes for women in the nation—such as the highest rate of cervical cancer -- Alabama is putting women’s lives at an even greater risk,” said Leana Wen, president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund. Of the 12 states ranked highest in infant mortality rates, all with rates of 7.0 or higher, 11 are described by the abortion rights organization NARAL as imposing “severely restricted access” on abortions. The one exception, West Virginia, is listed as having “restricted access,” a notch better. But NARAL reports that 90% of women in the state live in counties without a single abortion clinic.

By contrast, of the four states with the best infant mortality rates, all at 4.2 or better—California and Washington offer “strongly protected access,” NARAL says, and New Hampshire and Massachusetts “some access.” But access to abortion clinics in all four is strong—only 5% of women in California live in a county without a single clinic, followed by 14% in Massachusetts, 15% in Washington and 30% in New Hampshire.

These statistics should give the lie to legislators’ arguments that their anti-abortion measures are somehow good for women’s health or aimed at protecting their rights. A 2017 study by the Center for Reproductive Rights and IBIS Reproductive Health, a healthcare think tank, found that hostility to reproductive rights tended to go hand-in-hand with a lack of state-level policies supporting women’s and infant health. States with the largest number of abortion restrictions such as mandatory waiting periods, counseling and ultrasounds; restrictions on insurance coverage for abortions in public or private health plans; and unnecessary standards on ambulatory abortion clinics tended to have the fewest number of supportive policies, the survey found. Those included Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act; family leave; sex- and HIV education programs; and good access to children’s health insurance programs.

Indiana, Kansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi and South Carolina all topped out with 14 of the 14 abortion restrictions tracked by the researchers; all also offered 11 or fewer of the 24 supportive policies identified by the researchers. To take just one of those policies, seven of the 12 states with highest infant mortality have refused to expand Medicaid. Of the others, Indiana and Louisiana approved their expansion late (after Jan. 1, 2014, the earliest date for expansion) and three, including Ohio, have implemented it with restrictions such as work requirements or premiums.

Experts have connected the dots between abortion restrictions and maternal and infant health problems. Limits on access to legal abortions can prompt women to choose unsafe alternatives. Indeed, the reported rate of maternal deaths in Texas soared from 72 deaths per 100,000 live births in 2010 to 148 deaths per 100,000 live births in 2012, a trend that some experts attributed to the state’s closing of abortion clinics and cuts in funding for Planned Parenthood and other family planning services during the same period. Unintended pregnancies, moreover, tend to be associated with poor health for women and their children, an unsurprising development among households with unwanted children.

The restrictions also have economic and racial components, for low-income and minority women face difficulties in accessing healthcare even under ideal conditions. The restrictions tend to fall heaviest on them. These findings add a disturbing perspective to the measures in Georgia and Alabama. Both have elements of unexampled cruelty and malevolence toward women by criminalizing their choices in family planning. Alabama’s measure is so restrictive it effectively bans all abortions. The health profiles of women and children in those states, already among the most dismal in the nation, are about to get worse.
https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzi ... story.html
Infant mortality is the death of an infant before his or her first birthday. The infant mortality rate is the number of infant deaths for every 1,000 live births. In addition to giving us key information about maternal and infant health, the infant mortality rate is an important marker of the overall health of a society. In 2017, the infant mortality rate in the United States was 5.8 deaths per 1,000 live births.
https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/ ... tality.htm

World Infant Mortality Rates from highest to lowest.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 1rank.html

I know the thread is about Georgia, but here is a vivid example from Alabama illustrating what Christian Sharia Law looks like.
However, rape in the second degree is considered a Class B felony, punishable by 20 years or less, meaning that if a rapist were to be found guilty of second-degree rape, the maximum sentence would be nearly 80 years less than the maximum sentence imposed on doctors who have carried out an abortion, including in cases involving the rape of a child.
https://www.newsweek.com/under-alabamas ... ld-1425939

No thinking human would support this. Note the adjective "thinking.'

CDFingers

I read some over at a certain Sig forum from time to time. It often represents a thinking person's version of hard line conservatism, so gives insight into the other side. They've got a thread going on this and, shockingly, roughly 40% of the posts think it's a bridge way too far. That does give me some hope.

And yes, Highdesert, plenty of women are on board with the prolife agenda. It's confounding.