Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

So many executive orders, so much twitter. What to do? Well, discuss it here for one...

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 15586
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER: The "Crazy" part of Denton Texas
Contact:

Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#1 Post by TrueTexan » Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin put in writing on Friday that President Donald Trump’s administration is refusing to comply with a subpoena for President Donald Trump’s tax returns.

Mnuchin argued that Attorney General Bill Barr has declared that the administration won’t abide by the law that requires the IRS to turn over Trump’s tax returns to House Ways and Means Committee Chair Richard Neal.


“In reliance on the advice of the Department of Justice, we have determined that the Committee’s request lacks a legitimate legislative purpose, and pursuant to section 6103, the Department is therefore not authorized to disclose the requested returns and return information,” Mnuchin claimed.

This is a developing story and it remains to be seen how House Democrats will respond to the administration’s stonewalling.Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin put in writing on Friday that President Donald Trump’s administration is refusing to comply with a subpoena for President Donald Trump’s tax returns.

Mnuchin argued that Attorney General Bill Barr has declared that the administration won’t abide by the law that requires the IRS to turn over Trump’s tax returns to House Ways and Means Committee Chair Richard Neal.

“In reliance on the advice of the Department of Justice, we have determined that the Committee’s request lacks a legitimate legislative purpose, and pursuant to section 6103, the Department is therefore not authorized to disclose the requested returns and return information,” Mnuchin claimed.

This is a developing story and it remains to be seen how House Democrats will respond to the administration’s stonewalling.
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/05/steve- ... -subpoena/

Coverup Bill is at it again. He thought H.W. Bush was above the law and did a coverup for him. Now he thinks Trump is above the law. The difference between Bush and Trump, is Trump truly believes he is above the law.

Time we prove they aren’t above the law and Lock ‘Em All Up.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 18868
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#2 Post by CDFingers » Fri May 17, 2019 10:50 pm

If I were The Speaker, I'd cordially invite him to spend some time in the House jaol. I wish. More like a strongly worded letter.
Alternatively, Congress can ask the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, a federal prosecutor, to bring criminal charges against a witness who refuses to appear. There is a criminal law that specifically prohibits flouting a congressional subpoena.

But this option is also unlikely to be pursued, at least when it comes to subpoenas against executive branch officials.

“It would be odd, structurally, because it would mean the Trump administration would be acting to enforce subpoenas against the Trump administration,” said Lisa Kern Griffin, a former federal prosecutor and a law professor at Duke University.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1S02K8

Structure has nothing to do with it.

Image

CDFingers
ImageImage
Life may be sweeter for this, I don't know.
See how it feels in the end.

User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5527
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: Georgia
Contact:

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#3 Post by K9s » Sat May 18, 2019 12:34 am

Maybe think outside the box here with regards to Mnuchin. Didn't the CIA used to have a program that could be used: "Extraordinary Rendition"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_rendition
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

User avatar
ErikO
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 15596
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:49 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER: St Louis, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#4 Post by ErikO » Sat May 18, 2019 1:30 am

Contempt charges should be filed. Oh wait, it is just Congress, not a Court.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

User avatar
DavidMS
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 pm
Location: Virgina
Contact:

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#5 Post by DavidMS » Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 pm

ErikO wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:30 am
Contempt charges should be filed. Oh wait, it is just Congress, not a Court.
Each house has the inherent power to hold someone in contempt. At this point its the best of many bad options. If it was up to me, I'd be filing papers to begin the process of finding Munchin in contempt and ordering the Sargent at Arms to arrest him.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/start-here-de ... d=62802935

User avatar
YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 8244
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 pm
Location: The Jughandle State
Contact:

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#6 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sat May 18, 2019 10:48 pm

DavidMS wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 pm
ErikO wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:30 am
Contempt charges should be filed. Oh wait, it is just Congress, not a Court.
Each house has the inherent power to hold someone in contempt. At this point its the best of many bad options. If it was up to me, I'd be filing papers to begin the process of finding Munchin in contempt and ordering the Sargent at Arms to arrest him.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/start-here-de ... d=62802935
I would, too. Unlike Barr, his violation of Federal Law is without doubt.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5527
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: Georgia
Contact:

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#7 Post by K9s » Sat May 18, 2019 10:49 pm

I wonder if Congress is stretching this out so that anything they receive will show up around the time of the GOP convention? Remember that the Wikileaks drops and other shenanigans happened right around the Dem convention for maximum effect.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

User avatar
TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 15586
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER: The "Crazy" part of Denton Texas
Contact:

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#8 Post by TrueTexan » Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 am

K9s wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:49 pm
I wonder if Congress is stretching this out so that anything they receive will show up around the time of the GOP convention? Remember that the Wikileaks drops and other shenanigans happened right around the Dem convention for maximum effect.
Drop the shoe just after the convention and the renomination of Trump, so the Reptilians are totally screwed. The scary thing is Trump and Bolton may have us in a new war with Iran and Venezuela by then. You now the way to get reelected as a Reptilian President is to start a war Just look at the last three Reptilian Presidents.
Last edited by TrueTexan on Sun May 19, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

User avatar
kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:34 pm
Location: South Florida
Contact:

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#9 Post by kronkmusic » Sun May 19, 2019 11:56 am

TrueTexan wrote:
K9s wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:49 pm
I wonder if Congress is stretching this out so that anything they receive will show up around the time of the GOP convention? Remember that the Wikileaks drops and other shenanigans happened right around the Dem convention for maximum effect.
Drop the shoe just after the convention and the renomination of Trump, so the Reptilians are totally screwed. The scary thing is Trump and Bolton may have us in a new war with Iran and Venezuela by then. You now the way to get reelected as a Reptilian President is to start a war Just look at the last three Reptilian Presidents.
Last 4 if you consider making a backroom deal to stay in a war to win an election. Nixon quite literally and obviously sacrificed untold thousands of lives for political gain, if that's not a war crime then I don't know what is, yet we fired him over tapes. Every Republican president since Eisenhower should have spent the rest of his life behind bars for crimes against humanity.

User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5527
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: Georgia
Contact:

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

#10 Post by K9s » Sun May 19, 2019 3:19 pm

kronkmusic wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:56 am
TrueTexan wrote:
K9s wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:49 pm
I wonder if Congress is stretching this out so that anything they receive will show up around the time of the GOP convention? Remember that the Wikileaks drops and other shenanigans happened right around the Dem convention for maximum effect.
Drop the shoe just after the convention and the renomination of Trump, so the Reptilians are totally screwed. The scary thing is Trump and Bolton may have us in a new war with Iran and Venezuela by then. You now the way to get reelected as a Reptilian President is to start a war Just look at the last three Reptilian Presidents.
Last 4 if you consider making a backroom deal to stay in a war to win an election. Nixon quite literally and obviously sacrificed untold thousands of lives for political gain, if that's not a war crime then I don't know what is, yet we fired him over tapes. Every Republican president since Eisenhower should have spent the rest of his life behind bars for crimes against humanity.
I think another war in the middle east would guarantee a GOP loss. I assume they are waiting for Term 2.0 for stuff like that.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest