Re: Another "am I crazy" thread: 9mm revolver

What are the bore dimensions on these multi cal guns. 9mm is generally smaller then 38s and 357s. I bought a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 45 many years ago when Ruger was cutting their barrels for a .454 projectile and the factory acp bullets were quite inaccurate in that gun. The 357 version of that revolver were notoriously worse with the 9mm cylinder.

eels said:

The 357 version of [the Ruger Blackhawk] were notoriously worse with the 9mm cylinder.

I have certainly read this many times. I own the Blackhawk Flattop in .357 with the 9mm cylinder. I have shot 9mm several times with it and I cannot say it was really bad. At 20 yards my .357 hand rested groups were about 4 inches apart (I am not a great shot, enthusiastic, but not great). The same test with the 9mm was maybe an inch bigger. The point of aim moved a bit upward, but the groups were not terrible.

IMO, the real benefit of the 9mm cylinder is the SHTF scenario where you now have two common calibers to scrounge. I have a mild case of 'prepper' and such considerations have a bit more weight in my mind than might make sense to others.

Bisbee wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:47 pm Be careful... It’s suspected that Girard Damien Saenz was trying to pare down his gun collection using the Marie Kondo method when his neighbor peered over the fence.
Gahhhh! Too many TV show references in one sentence! Me pea brain exploded! :laugh:

In all seriousness, my old model Vaquero shoots both .45LC and .45 acp with the two cylinder thing, both nicely timed. The one problem I see in shooting acp cartridges is that they seat on a little shelf in the cylinder instead of by the rim. If some crud or soot or what not gets in there, one round might not seat well. Shooting at the range this is easy to fix, as I have a brush with me that I clean the cylinders with every few go 'rounds. Not good in a self defense revolver, I say, but just fine other wise.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:44 am
Bisbee wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:47 pm Be careful... It’s suspected that Girard Damien Saenz was trying to pare down his gun collection using the Marie Kondo method when his neighbor peered over the fence.
Gahhhh! Too many TV show references in one sentence! Me pea brain exploded! :laugh:

In all seriousness, my old model Vaquero shoots both .45LC and .45 acp with the two cylinder thing, both nicely timed. The one problem I see in shooting acp cartridges is that they seat on a little shelf in the cylinder instead of by the rim. If some crud or soot or what not gets in there, one round might not seat well. Shooting at the range this is easy to fix, as I have a brush with me that I clean the cylinders with every few go 'rounds. Not good in a self defense revolver, I say, but just fine other wise.

CDFingers
Same issue with shooting 38 spl cartridges in 357 then shooting a 357 cartridge.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:01 am

CDFingers
Same issue with shooting 38 spl cartridges in 357 then shooting a 357 cartridge.
Not exactly. I think the .38 powder would have to be pretty dirty to prevent seating. Now, that .357 going off and welding itself to the inside of the cylinder using that soot, well, maybe. I did get that problem with my .357 lever gun shooting .357 after the .38. My Vaquero has the two cylinders, so the only prob I get is with .45acp leaving some small fungoo in there to muck things up. My GP100 shoots the .38 and .357 from the same cylinder, of course. Might be interesting to shoot like one hundred .38's then pop in a .357 to see if I can get it to weld.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:46 am
TrueTexan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:01 am

CDFingers
Not exactly. I think the .38 powder would have to be pretty dirty to prevent seating. Now, that .357 going off and welding itself to the inside of the cylinder using that soot, well, maybe. I did get that problem with my .357 lever gun shooting .357 after the .38. My Vaquero has the two cylinders, so the only prob I get is with .45acp leaving some small fungoo in there to muck things up. My GP100 shoots the .38 and .357 from the same cylinder, of course. Might be interesting to shoot like one hundred .38's then pop in a .357 to see if I can get it to weld.

CDFingers
That is why there is an advantage to reloading. I only reload 357 brass for my 357s If I want a wadcutter at 38 spl loads I still load it in 357 brass. No carbon ring.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Bisbee wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:07 am These will likely rely on moon-clips.
Everyone seems to have forgotten this: Just milling a cylinder for 9mm probably won't work. You either need moon clips or a cylinder designed to catch the rim of the shell. The Ruger BlackHawk convertible doesn't need moon clips and the old S&W 547 didn't either. I don't know if the Chiappas need them.

I'm guessing moonclips are totally specific to the gun.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Moon clips are generally specific to the gun.

Cowboy guns that have plungers don’t need moon clips. Extracting empties is the main issue with wheelguns. Most revolvers will fire a rimless round fine without moon clips. Not reliable ignition however so not the most ideal for defensive situations.

I kinda like moon clips for the quick reloads. Not so much for unclipping the empties and clipping in new rounds though. Meh...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

BTW, CD, it doesn’t take several hundred rounds of .38 to create a soot ring that would weld a .357 casing into the chamber... Maybe just 20 or so. The result may be ripping the base rim off the casing with a vigorous yank of your lever then spending the next week dismantling the rifle and figuring out a way to remove the rest of the brass.

-Ask me how I know.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Awe, c’mon Max, you’re obviously a man of means. A serious enthusiast in your position would acquire the neighboring unit for use as your workshop/armory.

And James Bond would remove the door to the hallway and install a secret entrance through your bedroom closet wall.
:yes:

Bisbee wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:31 pm BTW, CD, it doesn’t take several hundred rounds of .38 to create a soot ring that would weld a .357 casing into the chamber... Maybe just 20 or so. The result may be ripping the base rim off the casing with a vigorous yank of your lever then spending the next week dismantling the rifle and figuring out a way to remove the rest of the brass.

-Ask me how I know.
OUCH!!!! :sick:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Actually, there was briefly a rimmed 9mm cartridge, if I remember correctly offered briefly by Federal. They stopped making it when someone noticed that it was very close to identical to the old low pressure .38 S&W. The thought of people putting a high pressure 9mm rimmed in a weak .38 S&W revolver caused them to stop making it.

You might be able to fire .38 S&W cases loaded with 9mm bullets in a 9mm revolver, and have it extract without moon clips. The bullet diameter of the .38 S&W is supposed to be .360", and the 9mm is supposed to be .355" or .356".

Some mention was made of revolvers in .45 acp. There is the .45 auto rim cartridge, which allows one to extract the case without a half moon clip because it has a really thick rim. Only custom loaders sell ammo with these cases, mostly you have to load the brass yourself. Starline makes it.

NuJudge wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:03 pm Actually, there was briefly a rimmed 9mm cartridge, if I remember correctly offered briefly by Federal. They stopped making it when someone noticed that it was very close to identical to the old low pressure .38 S&W. The thought of people putting a high pressure 9mm rimmed in a weak .38 S&W revolver caused them to stop making it.

You might be able to fire .38 S&W cases loaded with 9mm bullets in a 9mm revolver, and have it extract without moon clips. The bullet diameter of the .38 S&W is supposed to be .360", and the 9mm is supposed to be .355" or .356".

Some mention was made of revolvers in .45 acp. There is the .45 auto rim cartridge, which allows one to extract the case without a half moon clip because it has a really thick rim. Only custom loaders sell ammo with these cases, mostly you have to load the brass yourself. Starline makes it.
38 S&w brass is too big for a 9mm chamber

senorgrand wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:46 pm What parts other than the cylinder do I need to order? Extractor. Extractor rod. Extractor spring. Anything else?

I really want to mostly shoot 9mm steel with a red dot on this thing. But sometimes I want to blow apart target stands with 357, so I will need two cylinders.
Just get two guns.