Another "am I crazy" thread: 9mm revolver

Reviews and discussion of handguns.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Another "am I crazy" thread: 9mm revolver

Post by eelj »

What are the bore dimensions on these multi cal guns. 9mm is generally smaller then 38s and 357s. I bought a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 45 many years ago when Ruger was cutting their barrels for a .454 projectile and the factory acp bullets were quite inaccurate in that gun. The 357 version of that revolver were notoriously worse with the 9mm cylinder.

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by max129 »

eels said:

The 357 version of [the Ruger Blackhawk] were notoriously worse with the 9mm cylinder.

I have certainly read this many times. I own the Blackhawk Flattop in .357 with the 9mm cylinder. I have shot 9mm several times with it and I cannot say it was really bad. At 20 yards my .357 hand rested groups were about 4 inches apart (I am not a great shot, enthusiastic, but not great). The same test with the 9mm was maybe an inch bigger. The point of aim moved a bit upward, but the groups were not terrible.

IMO, the real benefit of the 9mm cylinder is the SHTF scenario where you now have two common calibers to scrounge. I have a mild case of 'prepper' and such considerations have a bit more weight in my mind than might make sense to others.

Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Mustang »

Ruger makes a 9mm version of the SP101

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... /ID/205221

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Bisbee wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:47 pm
Be careful... It’s suspected that Girard Damien Saenz was trying to pare down his gun collection using the Marie Kondo method when his neighbor peered over the fence.
Gahhhh! Too many TV show references in one sentence! Me pea brain exploded! :laugh:

In all seriousness, my old model Vaquero shoots both .45LC and .45 acp with the two cylinder thing, both nicely timed. The one problem I see in shooting acp cartridges is that they seat on a little shelf in the cylinder instead of by the rim. If some crud or soot or what not gets in there, one round might not seat well. Shooting at the range this is easy to fix, as I have a brush with me that I clean the cylinders with every few go 'rounds. Not good in a self defense revolver, I say, but just fine other wise.

CDFingers
ImageImage
We can share what we got of yours
'cause we done shared all of mine.

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

CDFingers wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:44 am
Bisbee wrote:
Be careful... It’s suspected that Girard Damien Saenz was trying to pare down his gun collection using the Marie Kondo method when his neighbor peered over the fence.
Gahhhh! Too many TV show references in one sentence! Me pea brain exploded! :laugh:

In all seriousness, my old model Vaquero shoots both .45LC and .45 acp with the two cylinder thing, both nicely timed. The one problem I see in shooting acp cartridges is that they seat on a little shelf in the cylinder instead of by the rim. If some crud or soot or what not gets in there, one round might not seat well. Shooting at the range this is easy to fix, as I have a brush with me that I clean the cylinders with every few go 'rounds. Not good in a self defense revolver, I say, but just fine other wise.

CDFingers
Same issue with shooting 38 spl cartridges in 357 then shooting a 357 cartridge.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

Ruger also has an LCR version in 9 mm.
https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5456.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

wooglin
Been around awhile

Post by wooglin »

highdesert wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:17 am
Ruger also has an LCR version in 9 mm.
https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5456.html
And an LCRx.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

TrueTexan wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:01 am
CDFingers wrote:
Bisbee wrote:

CDFingers
Same issue with shooting 38 spl cartridges in 357 then shooting a 357 cartridge.
Not exactly. I think the .38 powder would have to be pretty dirty to prevent seating. Now, that .357 going off and welding itself to the inside of the cylinder using that soot, well, maybe. I did get that problem with my .357 lever gun shooting .357 after the .38. My Vaquero has the two cylinders, so the only prob I get is with .45acp leaving some small fungoo in there to muck things up. My GP100 shoots the .38 and .357 from the same cylinder, of course. Might be interesting to shoot like one hundred .38's then pop in a .357 to see if I can get it to weld.

CDFingers
ImageImage

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

I've had the welding thing happen on my Virginian Dragoon after shooting a bunch of 44 special. The soot ring is definitely a thing.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

CDFingers wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:46 am
TrueTexan wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:01 am
CDFingers wrote:

CDFingers
Not exactly. I think the .38 powder would have to be pretty dirty to prevent seating. Now, that .357 going off and welding itself to the inside of the cylinder using that soot, well, maybe. I did get that problem with my .357 lever gun shooting .357 after the .38. My Vaquero has the two cylinders, so the only prob I get is with .45acp leaving some small fungoo in there to muck things up. My GP100 shoots the .38 and .357 from the same cylinder, of course. Might be interesting to shoot like one hundred .38's then pop in a .357 to see if I can get it to weld.

CDFingers
That is why there is an advantage to reloading. I only reload 357 brass for my 357s If I want a wadcutter at 38 spl loads I still load it in 357 brass. No carbon ring.
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by max129 »

TrueTexan said:

That is why there is an advantage to reloading. I only reload 357 brass for my 357s If I want a wadcutter at 38 spl loads I still load it in 357 brass. No carbon ring.

Gee THANKS! I was avoiding reloading until I read this. It makes too much sense.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Reloading enriches the sport.

CDFingers
ImageImage

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Bisbee wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:07 am
These will likely rely on moon-clips.
Everyone seems to have forgotten this: Just milling a cylinder for 9mm probably won't work. You either need moon clips or a cylinder designed to catch the rim of the shell. The Ruger BlackHawk convertible doesn't need moon clips and the old S&W 547 didn't either. I don't know if the Chiappas need them.

I'm guessing moonclips are totally specific to the gun.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by max129 »

CDFingers said:

Reloading enriches the sport.
I am in favor of reloading - I live in a high rise. No room for the setup.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Thin plywood sized to the press atop a table, then C-clamp the single stage press there, with the scale off to the side. Not ideal, but appropriate.

CDFingers
ImageImage

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

Moon clips are generally specific to the gun.

Cowboy guns that have plungers don’t need moon clips. Extracting empties is the main issue with wheelguns. Most revolvers will fire a rimless round fine without moon clips. Not reliable ignition however so not the most ideal for defensive situations.

I kinda like moon clips for the quick reloads. Not so much for unclipping the empties and clipping in new rounds though. Meh...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

BTW, CD, it doesn’t take several hundred rounds of .38 to create a soot ring that would weld a .357 casing into the chamber... Maybe just 20 or so. The result may be ripping the base rim off the casing with a vigorous yank of your lever then spending the next week dismantling the rifle and figuring out a way to remove the rest of the brass.

-Ask me how I know.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

Awe, c’mon Max, you’re obviously a man of means. A serious enthusiast in your position would acquire the neighboring unit for use as your workshop/armory.

And James Bond would remove the door to the hallway and install a secret entrance through your bedroom closet wall.
:yes:

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Bisbee wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:31 pm
BTW, CD, it doesn’t take several hundred rounds of .38 to create a soot ring that would weld a .357 casing into the chamber... Maybe just 20 or so. The result may be ripping the base rim off the casing with a vigorous yank of your lever then spending the next week dismantling the rifle and figuring out a way to remove the rest of the brass.

-Ask me how I know.
OUCH!!!! :sick:
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

NuJudge
Been around awhile

Post by NuJudge »

Actually, there was briefly a rimmed 9mm cartridge, if I remember correctly offered briefly by Federal. They stopped making it when someone noticed that it was very close to identical to the old low pressure .38 S&W. The thought of people putting a high pressure 9mm rimmed in a weak .38 S&W revolver caused them to stop making it.

You might be able to fire .38 S&W cases loaded with 9mm bullets in a 9mm revolver, and have it extract without moon clips. The bullet diameter of the .38 S&W is supposed to be .360", and the 9mm is supposed to be .355" or .356".

Some mention was made of revolvers in .45 acp. There is the .45 auto rim cartridge, which allows one to extract the case without a half moon clip because it has a really thick rim. Only custom loaders sell ammo with these cases, mostly you have to load the brass yourself. Starline makes it.

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by max129 »

Bisbee said:

A serious enthusiast in your position would acquire the neighboring unit for use as your workshop/armory.
Just saw this :thumbup:

My wife and I have had this exact discussion. Since she would get a bigger studio to work in, it could happen.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

NuJudge wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:03 pm
Actually, there was briefly a rimmed 9mm cartridge, if I remember correctly offered briefly by Federal. They stopped making it when someone noticed that it was very close to identical to the old low pressure .38 S&W. The thought of people putting a high pressure 9mm rimmed in a weak .38 S&W revolver caused them to stop making it.

You might be able to fire .38 S&W cases loaded with 9mm bullets in a 9mm revolver, and have it extract without moon clips. The bullet diameter of the .38 S&W is supposed to be .360", and the 9mm is supposed to be .355" or .356".

Some mention was made of revolvers in .45 acp. There is the .45 auto rim cartridge, which allows one to extract the case without a half moon clip because it has a really thick rim. Only custom loaders sell ammo with these cases, mostly you have to load the brass yourself. Starline makes it.
38 S&w brass is too big for a 9mm chamber

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

What parts other than the cylinder do I need to order? Extractor. Extractor rod. Extractor spring. Anything else?

I really want to mostly shoot 9mm steel with a red dot on this thing. But sometimes I want to blow apart target stands with 357, so I will need two cylinders.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

might be worth getting a crane for each cylinder, but ask your gunsmith, or just have the S&W custom shop supply the parts when they fit them

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

senorgrand wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:46 pm
What parts other than the cylinder do I need to order? Extractor. Extractor rod. Extractor spring. Anything else?

I really want to mostly shoot 9mm steel with a red dot on this thing. But sometimes I want to blow apart target stands with 357, so I will need two cylinders.
Just get two guns.