Ruger 9mm Carbine - sight options

LOVE my 9mm Ruger pistol chamber carbine. I have a stack of Freedom Week Happy Sticks for it that are all loaded-up and ready for the range.

Just wondering if I want to put an optic on it. The sights are great and dead-on (it has a fiber-optic front). It's just that my eyesight sucks and I'm wondering if I want either a red dot or an x1-6 illuminated scope.

I'll be mostly shooting pie-sized plates at no more than 50 yards. Although if I scope it, I'll try to ring some steel out to 100 yards. If a red dot, I'm leaning Vortex Venom at the 6 MOA size, because I could move to a handgun if I want.

If a scope, I'm leaning Vortex Strike Eagle because the reticle looks like it's could be used as a 1.5 MOA or 8 MOA, depending on how you use it. Here's a picture:

Whatchya think?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Ruger 9mm Carbine - sight options

senorgrand wrote:LOVE my 9mm Ruger pistol chamber carbine. I have a stack of Freedom Week Happy Sticks for it that are all loaded-up and ready for the range.

Just wondering if I want to put an optic on it. The sights are great and dead-on (it has a fiber-optic front). It's just that my eyesight sucks and I'm wondering if I want either a red dot or an x1-6 illuminated scope.

I'll be mostly shooting pie-sized plates at no more than 50 yards. Although if I scope it, I'll try to ring some steel out to 100 yards. If a red dot, I'm leaning Vortex Venom at the 6 MOA size, because I could move to a handgun if I want.

If a scope, I'm leaning Vortex Strike Eagle because the reticle looks like it's could be used as a 1.5 MOA or 8 MOA, depending on how you use it. Here's a picture:

Whatchya think?
I slapped a Burris AR-332 3x illuminated prism on mine and I've been very happy with it, the reticle is fairly similar to the picture you shared. My only real issues with it is the limited eye relief, and it's not the lightest optic ever built, but neither is really a problem for what is primarily a fun range toy. It allows me to hit ridiculously small groups at 50yds fairly easily, and ringing steel at 100yds is cake. I personally feel like 6 MOA is too big a dot for a rifle that you wanna stretch out into the lower end of mid-range shooting.

senorgrand wrote:What's the eye relief?
2.5in and that's really 2.5in, there's no significant range to that. The good news is the glass is clear and the thing is cheap, you can pick one up with either the CQ or 3X reticle and with a free 3 MOA Fastfire 3 for under $300 shipped, and they have one of those truly no-questions-asked lifetime waranties.

kronkmusic wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 pm
senorgrand wrote:What's the eye relief?
2.5in and that's really 2.5in, there's no significant range to that. The good news is the glass is clear and the thing is cheap, you can pick one up with either the CQ or 3X reticle and with a free 3 MOA Fastfire 3 for under $300 shipped, and they have one of those truly no-questions-asked lifetime waranties.
Hmmm....

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

If you're going to spend $300, I'd jump to $400 and grab the Burris MTAC combo instead. Gives you the Fastfire plus the MTAC- the MTAC has 4" of eye relief, so if you decide to start moving and shooting at any point, you have an optic that won't frustrate you for that endeavor.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15485 ... ount-matte

And it comes with the PEPR mount, which is a really great mounting solution.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:If you're going to spend $300, I'd jump to $400 and grab the Burris MTAC combo instead. Gives you the Fastfire plus the MTAC- the MTAC has 4" of eye relief, so if you decide to start moving and shooting at any point, you have an optic that won't frustrate you for that endeavor.

Damn, that's actually a really good deal

kronkmusic wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am
shinzen wrote:If you're going to spend $300, I'd jump to $400 and grab the Burris MTAC combo instead. Gives you the Fastfire plus the MTAC- the MTAC has 4" of eye relief, so if you decide to start moving and shooting at any point, you have an optic that won't frustrate you for that endeavor.

Damn, that's actually a really good deal
Yeah, if I was in the market for any such thing, I'd jump on it. About $200 less than normal.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Have you considered that a removable barrel may slightly change the point of aim slightly each time to take down the gun if using a receiver mounted optic? Part of the reason I don’t bother and keep the barrel mounted ghost ring. But maybe not as big a big deal for under 100 yard plinking as I imagine.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

senorgrand wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:32 pm Hey...can I just make a 3 MOA dot a bigger dot by upping brightness? Won't the "flare" make for a bigger dot?
Somewhat. I've found the aimpoint t-1 dot to be just right for a rifle but it doesn't get a lot bigger with brightness increases. It's easy to pick up even at its small size. I once had a Eotech and it is the best circle/dot thingy of them all but battery life sucks and you have to manually turn it on, something unacceptable for a zombie apocalypse rifle, so it went on its way to another home. I have had a Delta Point Pro 12 MOA triangle on a rifle and found it to be way too big plus most mounts put it too high for my tastes. It may be on it's way out the door as well. The RMR I recently picked up does look bigger the brighter it is set--I really like it. However, reader beware--I have astigmatism so your results may vary. Amazingly, they all look better without my glasses on. :ugeek:

edited to add: I don't think the RMR would be acceptable on a rifle as a primary--the field of view is pretty small. The new RSO might fair better.