Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

...allegedly.
Ask Amy: Dad is horrified to learn daughter has a gun in their house
Dear Amy: This week, I discovered that my intelligent, hard-working, responsible 24-year-old daughter (who lives with me) is a gun owner! And it’s not a normal gun, either — it is a 40-caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow-point bullets to go with it.

Amy, this is the kind of weapon a criminal would possess! She says it is for emergencies. There have only been two home invasions in our neighborhood in the last 11 years.

I’ve given her three choices: She can either give her weapon to me, sell it or move out in three weeks.
Apparently, the daughter's ownership of a firearm makes her impossible to trust and is "endangering" the father, provided the entire thing is not made up.

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

Link to evidence backing that assertion, Bang?

Because without evidence then we are no better than the noise generators on this issue.

But yes, I am dismayed at the tone of this so called “advice columnist”. While anyone could conceivably start a column professing to give rational advice for people in society to get along, it doesn’t mean that everyone should. In this day and age where anyone with internet and a keyboard can blog and broadcast their opinions, I feel the standards for professional writers and editors should be held at a higher; where facts and opinions are clearly explained.

If the aim of this column is to propagate fear and mistrust, the columnist succeeded. In every other respect where we imagine folks writing in for advice would be seeking, such as information, guidance, understanding, this “Amy” fails on all fronts.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: Dad, horrified to learn daughter has a pistol, consults advice columnist,...

Other than the hysterical tone of the "Father", the basic idea that he should have control of his own house is legit.

But treating his 24 year old daughter like a child is not OK.

One thing all of on this forum need to accept is that the anti-gun sentiment is not based on rational concepts. Assertions such as "that is the kind of gun a criminal owns" or that hollow points are "exploding ammunition" are pervasive.

To most of these emotional anti-gun people, the only info they want to read or hear is that "two legs bhaaaad, four legs gooooood". OH SORRY "guns are bhaaaad ... no-guns gooooood".

While I may agree this feels like a setup, there is an inherent problem with gut feelings that is the heart of our political paralysis. It is exactly the same “logical fallacy” that lead Dear Amy to write what she did:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

OK, so this week we learn about 'deep fake' videos. Well, advice columnists have been faking their letters for decades. A tiny few have been caught because it is not normal for their supplicants to reveal a real identity in the first place.

I agree with Bisbee we need to focus on 'fact based' arguments. I also agree this one smells a bit.

In any event. The columnist's answer was to use the letter as a pretense for a pitch from her (very small) bully pulpit.

No where did she point out that the man's daughter is of legal age and has the right to own a firearm. The hysterics of "exploding ammunition" would be entertaining in another world.

When I saw this article yesterday I swear I thought it was a satire site and some parody of the antigun crown. This is just unreal to me. Some of our FB members decided to discuss this letter with the columnist on twitter. (Not at our behest) I think this one sums it up pretty well.
Amy.JPG
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I don't trust my daughters either. But it's with the credit card not their guns.

Dude locks himself in his bedroom to protect himself from his armed daughter. LMAO. After reading it, I get the feeling it was a strawman to set up the response.

I'm surprised Omaha.com ran that syndicated column, given the readership here. It likely went over like a turd in a punchbowl.

That's before we even get to the point where it reads that grown women shouldn't be armed for their protection and are likely not trained or capable of owning a gun. How misogynist is that crap coming from an Amy. A lot of females here are strong, capable, armed, and have been shooting since childhood. Maybe his daughter joined The Well Armed Women group and has her CCW permit.
Brian

Dear Amy (Amy Dickinson) got beat up by her readers.
Dear Readers: I recently ran a question from “Dumbfounded Father” in my column. This man had a 24-year-old daughter who was living with him. She had recently disclosed that she possessed a .40 caliber semi-automatic weapon, with hollow point bullets. This father did not want to have guns in his home.

In my response, I incorrectly stated that hollow point bullets “explode.” I stated that this ammunition is illegal in 11 states. I take responsibility for this error, and apologize to readers who were misinformed, confused or furious about it.

I reached out to Eric Delbert, a second-generation law enforcement officer and owner (with his father) of LEPD firearms range and training facility in Columbus, Ohio, who patiently described the characteristics of hollow point bullets. They do not explode. They expand. This ammunition seems to be only partially banned in one state (NJ). He also pointed out that the .40 caliber semi-automatic is extremely popular, and — in his opinion — an appropriate choice for this young woman.

I firmly believe that homeowners have the right to protect themselves and their homes from civilians bringing firearms onto their private property.

An adult family member who pays no rent or expenses is a guest in the home. If this daughter won’t relinquish her firearm — this houseguest should take her gun and find another place to live.

This Q and A from my column has been widely shared on social media, and I have been called out scores of times by gun owners and advocates who used my error on hollow point bullets to disregard my point of view. That’s on me.

Many angry readers also suggested that my ignorance of firearms and ammunition disqualifies me from commenting on gun ownership or gun violence.

Obviously, I disagree. I don’t have to know the intricacies of a car engine to advocate for commonsense driving and licensing laws.

I was also accused of having a “bias” against guns. A gun is an inanimate object. I don’t hold a particular bias against these objects.

I definitely have a bias against the people who use guns to terrorize and kill one another. I also have a bias against the gun lobby that gaslights Americans into believing that gun ownership is not only a right, but also — these days — a necessity, as many readers have suggested.

Additionally, the disrespect, anger, violent language, and threats contained in many of the responses to this Q and A are, frankly, a great argument for stricter gun control.

My position on gun ownership arises from my own exposure to the heartbreaking aftermath of gun violence. As a journalist, I spent time with and interviewed many mothers who had lost their young children to random and unprovoked gun violence. I wrote about the killings at Columbine High School, and the culture of violence that contributed to that massacre.

My very small rural hometown has been rocked by a series of gun killings, including an entire family murdered on Christmas Eve, a workplace murder, and the tragic story of a father (the football coach at my high school) who was murdered protecting his daughter from her gun-wielding boyfriend.

Plus, I live in the world. School killings, church killings, workplace killings, mall killings, partner killings, accidental shootings — we are awash in violence, and ready access to dangerous weaponry makes it too easy for innocent people to get shot. Thoughts and prayers, it turns out, are no match for a hollow point bullet.

And someone like me: small, physically inept, and — (according to many commenters) not too bright and/or possibly deranged — has no business wielding a gun. Most importantly, I don’t want to own a gun, and so I will exercise my right not to own one or allow one in my home.

On the day I’m writing this, two fairly quotidian stories of senseless gun violence caught my eye: One involved two men who killed each other in a shootout when one cut another off in traffic (both men reportedly had concealed carry permits). The other was of an ambush shooting at a California Costco parking lot (the second Costco shooting in three days): one dead, two injured.

This column is a great space to explore the vagaries of the human condition. Questions from the lovelorn, love-lost or betrayed; the confused parents, Bridezillas, and angry in-laws — all provide insights into the daily struggles presented just by being human and living in the world. Gun violence is part of our world, and so we should talk about that, too.
https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/ ... f8287.html
Last edited by highdesert on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

NOW she gets thoughtful about guns :-)

I re-read her initial article. It was pretty biased against guns - period. What she failed to do in her update is ALSO correct that it was the type of gun owned by a gangster. She did acknowledge that an expert said it was an appropriate gun for a young woman.

I do agree that we should be willing to talk openly about gun violence. But people are funny. They want to blame the "object" such as a gun, when they know nothing about guns. They never seem to want to ban ladders (which may be higher than non-suicide firearm deaths!) https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm

No one seems to want to ban:
- Ladders
- 220 AC current
- Swimming pools
- Automobiles
- Bicycles
- Chemicals that cause poisoning

In the United States:
3 times as many people die from accidental falls as non-suicide gun deaths. 5 times as many people die from accidental poisoning.