CZ Scorpion

Technically its a pistol, but we all know thats not the case.
IMG_20190524_121241.jpg
Picked this beauty up at my FFL today, its a 7.7" barrel with a 5" fake suppressor mounted on it. Came with the folding brace as well for $800, so I was happy with the price. I'm planning on picking up a suppressor to replace the fake can at some point and I'll probably SBR it as well.

Out of the box the trigger feels like every other select-fire military trigger and is pretty awful. I picked up a trigger spring kit and a new trigger right off the bat, I'll install them this weekend some time. I also got a bigger mag release although I don't find the stock one that bad.

The safety is also awful, it digs into your trigger finger, I picked up an AK style safety lever to replace it.

Re: CZ Scorpion

Slapped on the new safety lever and the extended mag release. They were pretty simple to get on and improved things greatly, I ordered a smaller AK style safety for the left side, I have a friend who's a lefty and I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

I also took a primary arms red dot off of my AR-15 and put it on, with the lowest riser I had it basically cowitnesses the front sight, I'm not sure how I feel about the rear sight still being on with the red dot, I'll have to try shooting it to see if it bothers me.

The unfortunate news was a managed to strip out the trigger housing screw head trying to get it out. At first I thought it was welded in like some of the earlier triggers, but I realize now its just one of the more impressive loctite jobs paired with a really soft screw. I tried slotting it with a dremel but couldn't get enough room to do a good job so it looks like I'll have to drill it out. HB Industries sells a drill and replacement screw that I ordered, I can live with the stock trigger till I get that.

I also ordered the manticore arms folding charging handle, because the stock one is tiny and HK style folding handles look cool. This will see the range this weekend.

DamnYankee wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:13 am Nice looking gun. I’ve wanted one since they first came out but have never managed to justify getting one. Curious about the plan to SBR vs the brace. The newer braces are so comfortable to shoot. What is gained vs lost?
The brace is fine, it doesn't really feel like it has the ergonomics I want out of an actual rifle stock. Also theres the general risk of 'ATF arbitrarily decides you can't shoulder a brace' or 'declares pistol braces verbotten.' The same thing happened with bumpstocks and I don't really want to be living under the risk of someone declaring how I use my rifle illegal by fiat.

Took this out to the range today. Got the Primary Arms red dot that my AR lent sighted in at 25 yards easy enough. Moved on to the action range and went through WAY too much ammo in the rain. This thing is a hoot, but that trigger is awful. At about 10 yards it was ringing the 8" steel without much of a problem. Definitely needs a new trigger and a new charging handle though.

Swapped out the trigger and the charging handle on this. Went with the Manticore Arms folding charging handle and ended up grabbing an extra AK style safety for the left side of the gun, so lefties can shoot in comfort too. The trigger job was a nightmare to do, the springs all seem like they're held in with wishes and faerie dust, eventually I figured out the trick and got it all to stay together long enough to put all the pins in. The 5lb pull and the new HBI trigger shoe make a world of difference. Also got to try messing with my friend's new Scorpion (he got jealous) and tried the old mag release after swapping to the long duckbill one, definitely the most important swap to do on the gun.

More interestingly I finished my Form 1 e-file today. Hopefully I can slap a real stock on this soon and be much more comfortable shooting.

Thanks! Next up is building a Form 1 can to put on it. Its going to be a bit longer than the fake one thats on there now. For the big pistols I with cans I think I prefer the look of the long shroud, but without a suppressor the short one like yours looks good.

I do sometimes find myself wishing I had gotten the micro, that looks real slick with the zhukov stock, but it wouldn't look as cool with a round suppressor so I'd be stuck waiting a year to get a commercial one.