My Wife just OK'd my Getting a .308!

It's no secret I've been jonesing for a Windham Weaponry Hunter in "Nutmeg" furniture. It's an AR-10, .308 Win, with a laminated wood stock and foreend. Comes with a 5 round mag, but has a non-NJ compliant flash arrester. (the AR-15 version doesn't, not even a threaded barrel, so it's compliant).

My wife has said "Go ahead, Happy Birthday!" (9 days away from "Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?")

I'm trying to decide if I should try to get the best price on GunBroker and then have my LGS get the transfer and gun-smithing fee to make it legal (either a compliant muzzle-brake or thread cap, welded and pinned) or pay the extra and buy it directly from them. They're good people but it does add at least $100 to $150.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments? (OK, if you ask "why do you want it?" it's because it's an AR-10 that's got GREAT reviews and doesn't look "scary")
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: My Wife just OK'd my Getting a .308!

foghorn wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:54 am Get the wood grip from Boyds to complete the look.
I very, VERY much like that idea--just didn't know where. I consider it a "Stealth AR"--looks like a hunting rifle--which it is. If NJ's 10-round limit is overturned, it would be cool to have a 15 or 20 round mag.
I rented a DPMS AR-10 once at GFH in Totawa. Hated the red dot they mounted on it but really liked shooting it. At 25 yards (OK, I know) with my very first shot, I hit the bull! And Windham is reputed to be superior to DPMS!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

LGS. They charge a much higher xfer fee for guns they have in stock than for ones they don't (which I understand), and their gunsmith is reliable, unlike the other 2 I know. Still, they worked out a good deal with me to have the A2 removed and a compliant muzzle break pinned and welded on (as state law requires).

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:09 pm I guess. Muzzle brakes are allowed but I don't know what constitutes compliance vs non in NJ.
Now I understand what you meant about GB plus gunsmithing.

I guess that is an example of "common sense gun control" measures?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

featureless wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm Congrats, YT! You'll love it (but will have to take up reloading to feed it if you shoot it much!).

Now you get to decide what kind of aimy thingy to put on it. :)
I do have an inexpensive Sig tele to use at first. And I plan on getting a couple of 10 round mags, possibly pinned ones.

lurker wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:06 am
eelj wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:22 am
lurker wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:19 am so. getting wood, are you?
Tsk tsk, naughty naughty.
naughty is in the mind of the beholder. :ras:
Yeah, well, OK, you turkeys.

I think it is acceptable to me with all wood furniture. I mean, the .308 is such a great round. Why waste it on something with no personality? It becomes somewhat sullied in a semi-auto, but it's a survivable hit. ;-)

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack