Re: Check out my fake Johnson

Marlene said:

...my neighborhood blacksmith was out of argon ...

I love where and how I live, but I really do miss having a "neighborhood black smith". I am not willing to move back to the South to get that back, but I miss it.

A really beautiful result for a fun project.

Congrats Marlene.

Ok, here’s a post-MITM update:

I still haven’t found an un-checkered oil finish or unfinished walnut Rem 1100 stock for it, but I’ve been shooting it with the stock that’s on it.

With a handful of Shinzen’s reloads (might need to get the recipe) a few of us were easily tagging a silhouette target from 425 yards yesterday. Just cover the torso rectangle with the front sight blade rectangle and you’re good to go. Ping! We were passing the gun back and forth without allowing meaningful cooling time, and the Faxon pencil barrel didn’t mind a bit. At 100 yards this rifle is a bit boring, but at 400 it’s just pleasantly easy.

I’m full of opinions. That’s no surprise to anyone here. This might be the first time I’ve got so many of them in to a rifle so completely. The shootability of this gun feels like I’ve figured some things out about design and it’s a kind of gratification I haven’t had before.

Agreed. And it was fun to shoot, as long as it's not just paper at 100- stretching the legs and shooting steel makes an accurate gun fun, especially when it looks and feels like that. I'd ditch my regular AR in a heartbeat for one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Marlene wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:44 pm Ok, here’s a post-MITM update:

I still haven’t found an un-checkered oil finish or unfinished walnut Rem 1100 stock for it, but I’ve been shooting it with the stock that’s on it.

With a handful of Shinzen’s reloads (might need to get the recipe) a few of us were easily tagging a silhouette target from 425 yards yesterday. Just cover the torso rectangle with the front sight blade rectangle and you’re good to go. Ping! We were passing the gun back and forth without allowing meaningful cooling time, and the Faxon pencil barrel didn’t mind a bit. At 100 yards this rifle is a bit boring, but at 400 it’s just pleasantly easy.

I’m full of opinions. That’s no surprise to anyone here. This might be the first time I’ve got so many of them in to a rifle so completely. The shootability of this gun feels like I’ve figured some things out about design and it’s a kind of gratification I haven’t had before.
Not sure if I handed you a bag of the 55gr or the 77gr, but both do pretty well. I still want one of these
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Marlene wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:04 pm Threw some black paint on the bare metal parts, this is the first real mechanically complete assembly of the gun.

I’ve got some sight details to work out on first firing (unsure of front blade height).

This is not the final wood, but close enough for now. Expect it to look more Garand-like in finish, like the forend.
It don't look so hilbilly anymore Ma. :clap2:
We sit in the mud... and reach for the stars.
Ivan Turgenev

Prevent Suicides Call https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/t ... meone-now/

I’ll only part with it cause I can do it again.

With the final version of the wood and either Duracoat or Ceracoat in a parkerize-ish off black, I’d ask 5k, which is parts plus a half week of machinist’s billable hours. It’s a lot for a rifle but it’s the price what goes in to it.

I’m lucky I get to do my own work, because I can’t afford me.