Re: How can we Know that where is the Best Place to Install a Gun Safe?

lurker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:58 am targeted spam. notice the awkward language - "your weapon safe should satisfy the guideline guidelines that have been gone ahead by the law implementation offices." engrish no so gud. i suspect close analysis of sentence structure would reveal country of origin. i suppose it's good that furriners have jobs.
Russian spammers influencing the election again? :P

featureless wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:56 am
lurker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:58 am targeted spam. notice the awkward language - "your weapon safe should satisfy the guideline guidelines that have been gone ahead by the law implementation offices." engrish no so gud. i suspect close analysis of sentence structure would reveal country of origin. i suppose it's good that furriners have jobs.
Russian spammers influencing the election again? :P
it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Eris wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:52 pm Hey, at least the spammer came up with a relevant topic.

My cabinet (not a full-on safe) is in my bedroom closet. It's not bolted to the floor or wall, but it is on a second floor, which would make it a little more difficult to carry out if someone tried to do that.
same here. if someone tries to get it, they're going to have to get past a houseful of cats at the least. i pity the fool.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Eris wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:52 pm Hey, at least the spammer came up with a relevant topic.

My cabinet (not a full-on safe) is in my bedroom closet. It's not bolted to the floor or wall, but it is on a second floor, which would make it a little more difficult to carry out if someone tried to do that.
Sorry girl, but one of those cabinets is really easy to pop open if you can lay it down to bounce up and down on the door a little.

Marlene wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Sorry girl, but one of those cabinets is really easy to pop open if you can lay it down to bounce up and down on the door a little.
Yeah, I figure. It's not intended to be foolproof just annoying to thieves, and discouraging to the nosy minded. It's also what I could afford at the time and what I could find room for in the house. I really don't have any place to put a real safe. I figure they are too heavy for the second floor of the house I'm in, and the first floor is so filled with knick knacks and furniture that I could never find a place for it. Even the garage is full.

But I'll probably be moving into an RV again in a few months anyway, where a real safe would be right out because of the weight. I've been living with my mother for three years, but she died last week, so once the will goes through probate the house will be cleaned up and put up for sale and I'll have to move out.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

So sorry, Eris! That really is more important than whether you gun lockup is lousy, barely adequate, mediocre, or highly secure.
Both my parents are gone, my dad 17 years ago next month, my mom 5 years ago, and yet, it still feels like yesterday. At the end of June, my brothers and I along with those of our children who could be there, cast Mom's ashes in the same waters we cast Dad's.

I still miss them both, terribly, and expect I always will. But I also love to laugh at the stories we all tell about them--my dad swimming like a fish underwater in their pool in his 80's...but "forgetting" to take his hated hearing aid out! Or my mom, teaching my infant son, to remove his high-chair table...which he proudly did for me when my wife was travelling, while a contractor needed to get a check, dumping his ENTIRE dinner in my lap!

You, too, will, I hope, remember the good times. I handled the probate for my mom's estate and my two brothers, though older, were thrilled they didn't have to deal with, what in NJ was, 2 years of bullshit. I hope Kentucky is easier.

But most important, you have my condolences and empathy.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

So sorry to hear about your mom, it's tough losing a parent. I was in my late twenties-early thirties when I lost mine, forty years ago but I still miss them. Maybe temporary rental storage would work or a friend could store some until you get back to more permanent digs. All the best.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Marlene wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:56 pm Sorry to hear the bad news.

Really what I meant is that a couple screws from the inside of the cabinet to whatever makes it way more secure.
Thank everyone for you words of comfort. it's been a difficult week.

I thought about screwing the cabinet to the floor or wall, but the floors are hardwood and holes in them would be permanent, and the wall is drywall and screws could be easily ripped out of them. Since I knew I would be moving out someday anyway I figured I'd just leave no holes in things for now. When I eventually get a place of my own I plan on making things a bit more secure, and will probably get a real safe for the guns and use the cabinet for other things, like important papers and minor valuables. Really, at the moment the cabinet is mostly just to give me a place to put everything and keep them organized.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

You bolt into the 2x4 stud behind the dry wall with a lag bolt, prolly 1/4 inch. When you take it out, there's just this 1/4 inch hole to fill with spackle. You drill the hole in the cabinet about three inches from the top--this prevents a bad guy from gaining leverage against the bolts in the floor, which also should go into studs. Bad juju there if you don't own the home, though. If it's wood floors, that would be a bad thing. In absence of floor bolts, four into the wall studs, two high, two low. Just make it really tough to get that cabinet out.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:14 am You bolt into the 2x4 stud behind the dry wall with a lag bolt, prolly 1/4 inch. When you take it out, there's just this 1/4 inch hole to fill with spackle. You drill the hole in the cabinet about three inches from the top--this prevents a bad guy from gaining leverage against the bolts in the floor, which also should go into studs. Bad juju there if you don't own the home, though. If it's wood floors, that would be a bad thing. In absence of floor bolts, four into the wall studs, two high, two low. Just make it really tough to get that cabinet out.

CDFingers
Yup. All my "containers" are bolted to something solid in at least two places. They may get it, but will have to tear the wall and/or floor out to do so.

Greatest relevant spam thread ever.

We apparently have made a pineapple spamside-down cake. Not that there's anything wrong with pineapple.

Safe storage must become a non partisan endeavor. Instead of "whachya shoot?" I'm going to start asking, "What kind of gun safe do you have?" Sure, 'for the kids.' But more. "Protect your investments" is really non partisan. "Protect your guns from trumpers" not so much. Neither is "protect your guns from the gubmint." There may be something there, now that both parties are talking another AWB and so on.

I say safe storage must become as much a thing as are guns themselves. In a single breath always. "What kind of gun safe?" "Not yet full." "Ah."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack