My LG Refrigerator..........Hmmmmm!

My 5 YO LG Refrigerator 24 Cu/ft French Door/Bottom Freezer with indoor ice and water dispenser has been a rather nice unit. Biggest problem is the icemaker in upper French door which was the capacity for a one or two member family (probably holds about 1/2 cu/ft of ice when full) and runs noisily (not a problem as I'm a bit deaf).

Yesterday, as the 103F temp outside I had no ice - maker had quit functioning. I tried switching unit off and on, which would cause movement in cube tray, but hang up after turning about 1/8 turn, then would return to fill position, except it hadn't dumped any ice. I thought may be it was just a piece of ice keeping it from working, so taped over air holes that feed freezer air to maker and left door of maker open with fridge door shut. No go. After trying all I could think of, went on line to see if could find a solution or to buy another unit ($225 +/-). I had already gone thru all the troubleshooting stated in manual that came with unit - is it on? yes - is water available (yes) - if all yes and no worky - buy a new maker.

I had a call from a neighbor saying she was at store and did I need anything - told her to being me a small bag of ice that I could use until repairs made.

Finally went to LG web site. Same instructions as found in manual along with call for serviceperson if not working. Did some more digging, entered model number, found some more things to try, nothing. Then noticed a small note to check this site if had a particular model (which I had). There was one more thing to try - this model has a well hidden reset button in an obscure back left bottom corner of the icemaker - I even had trouble determining that it was an actual button - pushed it and immediately the ice tub started rocking, I replaced the ice recepticle and low and behold it dumped the ice and refilled with water. Checked this AM and it's still making ice.

My bitch is why this isn't in the manual and difficult to find on LG site. I damn near ordered a new icemaker I didn't need. Had I not been such a cheapskate and kept looking for answers (even watching the You Tube "How To" for this unit), I'd have blown $225 +/- and never knew I wasted my money.

I can just imagine the many people that have had a service call made and tech dicks around with ice maker, charges $100 for pushing a reset button and never telling the owner what he did OR just saying you need a new icemaker with install at about $500 for the two, then taking the old icemaker and selling on ebay (Ebay had a used one for $89 and new up to $300). Surely, I'm not the only one that has had this problem and one would think that it would be stated clearly and openly rather than buried on their web site.

Vent done.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Re: My LG Refrigerator..........Hmmmmm!

OMG! That whole rant made me feel better today! I don't know why. My old refrigerator is probably on its last legs, but I am just too lazy to do anything about it right now.

FlyGuy is right. Thank goodness for the newfangled electric powered search engine.

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Whew, that saved you some money! You're closer to the Equator than I am but those humid summers need A/C and ice. August is the humid summer month in So Cal, we usually get any storms from your direction. I'm nursing my refrig and a/c along, I'm hoping to get through the summer without having to replace one or both of them.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Knock on wood, still pooping out ice.

Did run across a you tube vid last night that mentioned "reset" button in passing except it titled it "test" button.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

What a great little tale--so true.

Moreover, the pic inside the reddit search engine could be the web.

Design of user interfaces, like where the friggin' reset button is--gui's are unregulated because freedom. It would be nice to have many features in the same place on all models. The turn signal is on the left side of the steering wheel is now standard, which is cool. When I was a kid, my dad's work truck had a lever you pulled which would swing an arm out on the driver's side of the truck, an arm with yellow sideways V's. Had an orange tip. So a left turn would be the arm straight out, like a hand signal, and a right turn would have the arm straight up. There was one tail light above the license plate. And back then, in all cars, the high beam headlight switch was a button on the floor to the left of the clutch--there were no automatics among anyone we knew.

Just think, though, as the Internet of Things (IoT) builds out, your icemaker will soon be able to repair itself, even to trouble shoot itself. Maybe it will download a patch, display healthy eating guidelines, eh. All fridges will have all kinds of features, like verbal commands. "I'd like a beer."

Say it with me, "I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Had another incident with my six YO Samsung frontloading washer about 3 years ago - out of warranty. Started leaking water during operation flooding floor. I was up to ass in work, so rather than DIY I call for a tech to come fix. Turned out to be one of the water feed hose to distribution water box failed at nipple it slipped over and clamped. Have to give kudos to tech - he gave me the option to pay the $35 service call or another $100 if he cut the hose portion off that was leaking (hose was barely long enough to cut and reattach) or I could do it myself - I chose the latter.

Considering there are about a half dozen of the same hose feeding the box I decided to buy some spares. Almost had a bowel movement when I saw price from Samsung for one short piece of hose. Ebay to the rescue - bought a complete set of used hoses plus extra spares for under $15 - now have enough hose to repair for the life of the washer.

Couple years ago I had a short in my Saturn. Shorts are pesky, and for the life of me, I and my bud of Driveway and Shade Tree Mechanics Union Local 420 could not locate the short even with bags of equipment such as a crescent wrench and screwdriver, a Radio Shack circuit tester and a six pack of Sierra Nevada brew. We resorted to the internet and data mined all kinds of options about what it might be. We chatted it out and consulted and so on. Fail. So I took it to the pros.

Next day I get a call. "We found it, Mr. Fingers. You had a rat living in your air cleaner and he ate some insulation. We fixed it fine."

"What about the rat?"

"My mechanic got him with a screwdriver."

"So it goes. Be there in fifteen."

Goes to show that screwdrivers are good to have. And beer. Good.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Every added feature is just another possible breakdown waiting to happen. I worked on a new GE fridge that had stopped defrosting, Timer went bad. That used to be a simple clock mechanism, about $10 for the part and 2 screws and maybe 4 wires to fix found in the front bottom section of the fridge. The poor guy spent $200 for a new Control board that had to be ordered and hooked up. But that's progress.
Does the LG call you up and complain when the milk is low or the eggs are gone?

We have a GE fridge with an icemaker at our beach house. First, the main board blew--on a Sunday. Brownouts are harder on all these new electronically controlled appliances than surges. The local repair guy got his boss to open the store (lumber, tools, paint, etc...and appliances) and got the main board and fixed. Then the icemaker went. I thought just turning off the water was enough, but no, you actually have to turn it off. So I had to buy one on line and haul it down to the Bahamas so he could fix it.
Two lessons out of this:
1) ALWAYS have a brown-out surge protector on your appliances. They shut down in a brown-out and don't turn on again until the voltage level is safe. There are several brands but I've had good luck with Pipeman brand.
2) ALWAYS turn off the icemaker when the house water is going to be turned off! EVERY.SINGLE.TIME!

No problem since then.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

People laugh when they get in and see the window crank on my 97 Nissan pickup and suddenly wonder if they’ve slipped into the Andy Griffith show.

I tap the handle and say, “Just wait till you slide off an icy bridge into the river in your Tesla. Then you’ll be wishing you had one of these puppies.”
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:49 am People laugh when they get in and see the window crank on my 97 Nissan pickup and suddenly wonder if they’ve slipped into the Andy Griffith show.

I tap the handle and say, “Just wait till you slide off an icy bridge into the river in your Tesla. Then you’ll be wishing you had one of these puppies.”
I miss those cranks. I’ve had to replace the passenger side window motor 3 times in 25 years.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I have a window breaking/seat belt cutter tool on long cord in driver side door pocket. The only 'crank' in my car is the driver!! LOL

Sadly, my other car is a Prius. So yes, slowly but surely I will become the only crank left in the cars I drive.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Old thread I had forgotten - replaced ice maker early this year with NIB bought on ebay $125.00 shipped. New works better than old ever did from gitgo. Old unit kept over filling as it was not dumping made ice due to sensor mount breaking no twist of flex ice tray. I've repaired break using super glue and will use as an emergency spare should the one in service take a dump. Still props for Google and ebay!! eBay has kept several of my obsolete appliances in service or saved me a bundle on old parts rather that OEM.