FBI arrests OH man for threats against government and Planned Parenthood

The FBI arrested an 18-year-old from Ohio for making online threats — including against the federal government and Planned Parenthood — and found a large cache of weapons, authorities said. When agents raided the Boardman, Ohio, house where Justin Olsen was living they recovered 15 rifles, 10 semi-automatic pistols and roughly 10,000 rounds of ammunition, according to a criminal complaint written by FBI Special Agent Themistocles Tsarnas and seen by NBC News.

Olsen, who wrote under the name "ArmyOfChrist," was charged Monday with one count of threatening to assault a federal law enforcement officer. "ArmyOfChrist discussed supporting mass shootings, and assault and/or targeting of Planned Parenthood," according to Tsarnas. Assistant Mahoning County Prosecutor Michael McBride decided authorities had to act swiftly on the threats in the wake of the recent mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, NBC affiliate WFMJ reports.

The case against Olsen began earlier this year when FBI agents in Anchorage, Alaska, working in a chat room called "iFunny," found a user named ArmyOfChrist making threatening comments. That user wrote online that he supported the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995 and the shootings of ATF agents at the siege of the Branch Davidians compound in Waco, Texas, in 1993. "Hell even the Oklahoma City bombing shows that armed resistance is a viable method of political change. There is no legal solution," ArmyofChrist wrote on Aug. 6, according to the complaint. "In conclusion, shoot every federal agent on sight."

Agents raided his place of residence, described in the complaint as his father's home, on Aug. 7 and found a large number of guns and bullets throughout the house and in a gun vault in Olsen's room. Olsen allegedly told agents that his writings were "only a joke." Olsen also characterized his comments as "a hyperbolic conclusion based on the results of the Waco siege ... where the ATF slaughtered families," according to the complaint. A message seeking comment was left with Olsen's attorney. Agents seized 15 rifles, 10 semi-automatic pistols and roughly 10,000 rounds of ammunition during the arrest. Olsen is still in custody and scheduled to make an appearance in U.S. District Court in Youngstown on Friday.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fb ... 0-n1042036
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: FBI arrests OH man for threats against government and Planned Parenthood

What 18 yo can afford all that ammo and those firearms? None! They confiscated his dad's guns that were in a safe.

They raided his mom's house first, were told he was at dad's, then took the dad's guns from his safe. The kid didn't own or have access to those guns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ifles-fbi/
The comments were all written by an Ohio teenager named Justin Olsen, the FBI says in federal court documents. And when agents raided a home where the 18-year-old lived earlier this month, they found about 10,000 rounds of ammunition and a vault full of assault-type weapons and shotguns.

Agents found plenty of firepower in Olsen’s father’s home, though it’s unclear how much of it the 18-year-old could access. There were about 300 rounds of ammunition on a stairway, the FBI says, and thousands of rounds of ammo, camouflage clothing and a gun vault in another bedroom in the house. Agents eventually seized about 15 rifles and shotguns and 10 semiautomatic pistols.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 pm Who is the real owners of the guns? The 18 y.o. Can’t legally bu or own a hand gun. Bet the guns belong to his dad.
I'm not saying the guns were his, but there are no federal laws prohibiting someone 18 or older from owning a handgun. Maybe Ohio has some state law regarding that, but I'd doubt it since Illinois doesn't even do that. Most people don't know that there is no federal prohibition from owning a handgun after age 18 so I'm doing my little part to help spread awareness. :beer2:

ElMonoDelMar wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:27 am
TrueTexan wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 pm Who is the real owners of the guns? The 18 y.o. Can’t legally bu or own a hand gun. Bet the guns belong to his dad.
I'm not saying the guns were his, but there are no federal laws prohibiting someone 18 or older from owning a handgun. Maybe Ohio has some state law regarding that, but I'd doubt it since Illinois doesn't even do that. Most people don't know that there is no federal prohibition from owning a handgun after age 18 so I'm doing my little part to help spread awareness. :beer2:
How old do you have to be to purchase a gun? It depends on what type of gun and what type of transaction. Under federal law when dealing with a Federal Firearms Licensee, also known as an FFL, you have to be at least 18 years old to purchase a long gun, and at least 21 years old to purchase a handgun. Here in Texas to purchase a long gun the rules are the same. But unlike federal law, Texans can purchase handguns at 18.

How does a Texas resident purchase a handgun at age 18? The answer is simple: through a private sale. A Texas resident 18 or older but under 21 won’t be allowed to purchase a handgun through an FFL dealer but that person can purchase a handgun from another Texas resident. Sales between two people who aren’t licensed dealers are called private sales. We often receive questions from members asking whether they can allow their children or other family members to use or access their guns. The question’s answered differently depending on federal and state possession laws.
https://www.uslawshield.com/legal-age- ... -in-texas/
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Yeah, I think we're in agreement. As long as you don't purchase from an FFL, there is no federal prohibition of someone 18 or older from owning an handgun. I know that's true in Illinois, and at least in Texas from your link.

I'd be curious how many states actually prohibit those under 21 from owning handguns. I'm too lazy to do the research, but if anyone lives in a state where this is the case, I'd like to know.

ElMonoDelMar wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:13 pm Sadly, NJ and Cali were the ones that I figured would have a ban on 18yo owning handguns. Thanks for the info!
My issue was that I didn't think the 18 yo could afford all that ammo and those weapons. Not many could. They belonged to his father and were in a safe.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s said:

My issue was that I didn't think the 18 yo could afford all that ammo and those weapons. Not many could. They belonged to his father and were in a safe.
And THAT is exactly what I mean by wanting the news to "get it right".

Scenario 1: The teenager OWNED all those weapons and ammo. And they were in his control.

Scenario 2: The teenagers's FATHER owned all that stuff and the guns were in a locked safe. Control is ambiguous.

Scenario 3: The teenagers's FATHER owned all that stuff and the guns were in a locked safe. AND the teenager did not have access to the safe.

So, from reading the news, which of those 3 is it?

It really does make a big difference.

According to the WaPo story, all guns were in a safe. Ammo stored in a bedroom.

According to NBC: a large number of guns throughout the house. That doesn't mean they were accessible to the teenager or were not in safes.

No one says the teenager owned any guns, as far as I know. The lack of specific information is because the reporters don't know enough about it to ask the right questions IMHO.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:59 pm Max: you assume journalists don't have a disarmament agenda. Disinformation is then a feature, not a bug
I really think they don't know what they don't know. They are clueless on this like they are clueless on many things they report. It is painfully obvious that they pretend to be knowledgeable about things they are not in many cases. They hope the reader has no more information than they do about guns, agriculture, policing, and other things they are insulated from.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

There is a big difference between lots of guns (or any guns) in the house and lots of guns in the house in a safe. Mine are in a safe specifically because I have a kid. Kids have no business interacting with firearms unsupervised, imho.

If I did not have a kid, there'd still be guns in a safe. Burglars have no business interacting with my firearms, either. There's plenty of other shit in my house to keep them occupied.

And, because events like this lead to calls for storage requirements, I understand the argument that a locked front door should be sufficient. Because 80% of guns used in crimes are illegally obtained (most often by theft), I chose to add an extra layer or two. But really, a locked front door should cut it. This is another example where additional laws would be contrary to how the world works, putting the onerous on the law abiding. Breaking and entering as well as burglary are already illegal.

K9s wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:03 pm
senorgrand wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:59 pm Max: you assume journalists don't have a disarmament agenda. Disinformation is then a feature, not a bug
I really think they don't know what they don't know. They are clueless on this like they are clueless on many things they report. It is painfully obvious that they pretend to be knowledgeable about things they are not in many cases. They hope the reader has no more information than they do about guns, agriculture, policing, and other things they are insulated from.
I think both are true.

featureless wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:11 pm
K9s wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:03 pm
I think both are true.
You are probably right. They don't have guns, don't know anything about them, don't know people with firearms, and only hear about them in crime reports. Of course they would want them banned.

I have never heard a journalist who asks "Why does anyone need a weapon of war?" also ask "Why does anyone need more than $10 million and a yacht?" and suggest taking away money or fast cars or yachts.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:54 pm
I have never heard a journalist who asks "Why does anyone need a weapon of war?" also ask "Why does anyone need more than $10 million and a yacht?" and suggest taking away money or fast cars or yachts.
Well, getting rich is part of the American dream. Can't question that. Getting shot is not. What gun control advocacy neglects is that the right to "shoot a muthafukah" for the hell of it is nowhere in the text. The right is to keep and bear. Shooting people for the hell of it is illegal for good reason. It would interfere with getting rich. :)

As I've said before, no one needs to vote or sit at the front of the bus, either. But we've decided those, and many other things, are rights. So too is keep and bear, as clearly described in the Bill of Rights.

I commented on the same topic in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=52398&p=726860#p726860

I do have some concern that the red flag laws without due process will get abused.

I predict states will move to "anonymous" reporting of "dangerous" people and that it will be abused by people who simply do not like folks with guns.

Am I glad they found someone who made viable threats? I am not sure they did. So far, all the evidence I read in the news is that this joker is a loudmouth and has some weird ideas.