Re: Home Defense Gun Suggestions

Just like the real world. Wall after wall 6" apart. :)

Here's a summary of a slightly more realistic test (walls space apart to allow the light bullet to lose steam). Sorry, you'll need to read rather than watch.
Two interior test walls were constructed using a wood 2x4 frame with standard drywall board attached to both sides. Two exterior test walls were made using wooden frames with drywall board attached to one side and exterior grade T1-11 wooden siding attached on the other (exterior) side. R-19 fiberglass insulation batting (Dow Coming) was stapled inside the two exterior test wails. To maintain test medium consistency, no wooden cross beams, electrical fixtures, conduits, or electrical wiring were placed in any of the test walls.

The test walls were placed in the following sequence to mimic shots fired from. inside a building, through two internal rooms, out the building, and into another similarly constructed building:

A. Interior wall #1 was placed 8 feet from the shooting position.

B. Interior wail #2 was placed 8 feet beyond interior wall #1.

C. Exterior wall #1 was placed 8 feet beyond interior wail #2. (Exterior side facing away from the shooter.)

D. Exterior wall #2 was placed 15 feet beyond exterior wall #1. (Exterior side facing toward the shooter.)

All calibers tested were fired from a position 8 feet in front of interior wall #l, so the bullet trajectory would travel in sequence through each of the succeeding test walls. Each caliber tested was chronographed and all firing results were videotaped for archive files.

The following results were obtained:

All handgun calibers exited exterior wall #1. This means they exited the "house" after passing through two interior "rooms," then entered another "house" to impact into the berm. The handgun caliber which demonstrated the least penetration was .22 LR Lightning.
The only calibers which did NOT exit the "house" were .223 (5.56) soft point and hollow point loaded bullets.
All projectiles demonstrated directional changes in their trajectory after passing through the first interior wall. The greatest directional changes (10 inches+ yaw) were shown by 9mm and .40 S&W projectiles.
Directional changes in bullet trajectory appeared to increase in magnitude with each test wall the projectile passed through.
http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=26

If'n you're worried about blasting your neighbors, soft point .223 would appear to be the least likely to enter their house after existing yours (at real world distances).
Last edited by featureless on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

featureless wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:45 pm This is what I load my home defense mags. They are the least likely to go through my home's walls and into my neighbors' home. It is one of the multitude of reasons LEO, et. al. use it.
That's what I too have heard and read. LEOs are in many types of structures so they have history with ballistic penetration. JHP - in 9 mm or 40 S&W. Since the FBI switched back to 9 mm LE seems to be going that direction. Speer Gold Dot seems popular.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:24 pm
featureless wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:45 pm This is what I load my home defense mags. They are the least likely to go through my home's walls and into my neighbors' home. It is one of the multitude of reasons LEO, et. al. use it.
That's what I too have heard and read. LEOs are in many types of structures so they have history with ballistic penetration. JHP - in 9 mm or 40 S&W. Since the FBI switched back to 9 mm LE seems to be going that direction. Speer Gold Dot seems popular.
My home defense mags are loaded with Speer Gold Dot.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I use a S&W SD40VE for home defense (sub $250) polymer/striker. Also recommend a Taurus PT92 (sub $350) hammer/decocker all metal. You don't need fancy sights or laser for HD. Round capacity more important 13 thru 20 respectfully. Both full size pistols. SD has an atrocious trigger (about 8 lbs.- but better than the old Sigmas excess of 13 lb. pull). Both economical and go bang everytime in my experience. If you have the funds, any of the M&P will do. I don't care for the 1911 platform at all in any caliber - personal preference.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:54 pm I use a S&W SD40VE for home defense (sub $250) polymer/striker. Also recommend a Taurus PT92 (sub $350) hammer/decocker all metal. You don't need fancy sights or laser for HD. Round capacity more important 13 thru 20 respectfully. Both full size pistols. SD has an atrocious trigger (about 8 lbs.- but better than the old Sigmas excess of 13 lb. pull). Both economical and go bang everytime in my experience. If you have the funds, any of the M&P will do. I don't care for the 1911 platform at all in any caliber - personal preference.
Hey, it's a S&W with a lifetime warranty just like their much more expensive pistols and revolvers. And if it's ever used in a shooting you won't cry any tears if it gets lost in a police evidence lockup. Yes SDs are better than the earlier Sigma or a Hi-Point, the SD model is popular. Triggers are bad but you're less likely to get Glock Leg. ;)
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Back to the original question: Of course, most SIG Sauer choices are superior in any caliber.

The short answer: SIG.

:roflmao:

Seriously, rent some, try some, and try again. And don't be scared of loving 45 ACP.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Right now my nightstand gun is a SIG P239. I have a lot of SIGS, but the 239 has overnight duty because I found a great deal on Crimson Trace grips for it. At night, with my old eyes, who wants to have to aim? Years ago I gave up on night sights being any help.

Being a single stack, it's not my favorite SIG (my P228 is) but the laser grips make it a no brainer.

And I keep my SP2022 with a laser/tactical light in a drawer just under the 239. You know - in case another 15 rounds seem prudent.

Then again, as others have mentioned, a shotgun is a good choice, too. And cheaper than most quality handguns.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

The only loaded gun in my house is a Beretta 92 compact. I'll admit that the sa/da pistols take a bit of getting used to but if I can overcome that, anyone can.

Also, I had a negligent discharge inside my house about two years ago. The silver lining is that I learned exactly how well a 9mm hollow point hangs up in a plaster wall. Only a few fragments made it through into the next room.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

I don't know if they still make the SP2022, but it is very underrated. Fantastic pistol.

I tend to rotate nightstand guns depending on what I shot at the range recently. I always have a 38 snubbie there, too, though. Of course, I practice with one often.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Riverkilt wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:38 pm I live in a four plex and chose the Mossberg 500 Shockwave in .410 Doesn't fly out of my hands like the 12 gauge Shockwave and still does the job with self-defense rounds in it.
The 12ga is best to use with the Aguila mini shells less recoil and you can load 9 shells. Then you can vary the loads between birdshot, buckshot and slugs.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

K9s wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:54 pm I don't know if they still make the SP2022, but it is very underrated. Fantastic pistol.

I tend to rotate nightstand guns depending on what I shot at the range recently. I always have a 38 snubbie there, too, though. Of course, I practice with one often.
Yup - I have a 2" Model 60 next to the SP2022. I love wheelguns, but don't practice double action firing nearly enough.
As for the SP2022, they still make them - it got its name because the French police signed a contract to buy & replace them through 2022. I love it; when I started buying guns again in 2012, it was my first purchase. I fell on some hard times and had to sell it, but after rebounding, I bought one on GB for a song a couple years ago. And I still had the TLR-4 to put on it.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

So, I woke up yesterday morning and said SCREW EVERYONE HERE, and got myself a:

Canik TP9SF

Reasons why:

* I'm a hipster, Glocks and Sigs are too mainstream.
* Better sights than the Glock
* Better trigger than the Glock, felt so smooth, nice reset.
* $200 cheaper than the guns I was looking at.
* It looked sexy.
* it's a Turkish company, and I love turkey, especially with gravy.

I'm now opening the floor for questions

Turks make some finely machined pistols. I have a couple of TISAS Zigana Sports - one has been a great gun and accurate (cause I'm not); haven't shot the second one - safe Queen or parts if DJT fucks up our relations with Turkey.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.