Los Altos Rod and Gun, rifle fun

A beautiful day in the mountains. I recently bought a Springfield 1903. And I have a hunting rifle to sort out. So I spent an interesting few hours playing with different ammo, and figuring out how to make the 1903 sights work at 100 yds. The Springfield has a receiver made in 1918 (SN comfortably after the heat treat change) but a barrel marked June 1931 and a late type bolt. I figure the rifle was rebuilt in the 30’s and set aside because the barrel is pretty clean! Turns out the sight slide is busted so I’ll need to replace it and spend another afternoon at the range. I got the hunting rifle sorted out too.

I finished out with my AR-15 “service rifle” converted to CA featureless. Sigh. But it’s still a joy to shoot. Pic below is iron sights, 100 yds, 20 rounds slow, 10 rounds < 1 min.
Aim past the target.

Re: Los Altos Rod and Gun, rifle fun

YankeeTarheel wrote:Nice shooting! Wish I could do that at 50 yards with just iron sights!
Even with my new script in my glasses I'd be lucky to SEE the circle a 100 yards!
Yeah, that target ain’t the best for iron sights. I basically was trying to center the front post into the center of a big black blob much bigger than the post.
Aim past the target.