ABC/WaPo poll: majority for UBCs, ERPOs, bans, compulsory surrender; firearm prohibition would reduce mass shootings

6 in 10 fear a mass shooting; most think gun laws can help: POLL
Two measures, specifically, remain overwhelmingly popular: Eighty-nine percent in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll support background checks for all gun purchases, including private and gun show sales; and 86 percent back “red flag” laws allowing the police to take guns from individuals found by a judge to be a danger.
By a 15-point margin, 56 to 41 percent, the public supports banning the sale of assault weapons. That’s off its recent peak, 62 percent, after the shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, last year, but well up from its low, 45 percent in late 2015.
Beyond banning assault weapons sales, 52 percent support a mandatory buyback program in which the government would require owners to turn in their assault weapons in exchange for payment. And six in 10 in this poll, produced for ABC by Langer Research Associates, support banning high-capacity ammunition clips.
https://twitter.com/JTHVerhovek/status/ ... 56576?s=20
Johnny Verhovek
@JTHVerhovek
Views on gun policy from latest @ABC/@washingtonpost poll (1,003 U.S. adults, MoE +/- 3.5%)

Requiring background checks
Support: 89%
Oppose: 9%

Banning assault weapons
Support: 56%
Oppose: 41%

Mandatory assault weapon buyback
Support: 52%
Oppose: 44%

Re: ABC/WaPo poll: majority for UBCs, ERPOs, bans, compulsory surrender; firearm prohibition would reduce mass shootings

It’s not just the NRA. Although they really suck. It’s mostly the media. Controversy sells. And many of the main outlets-including NPR- spin the shit out of this. Ignoring defensive gun use numbers. Going head on into the term “assault weapons”. Never discussing the fact that at least most of the “red flag” laws are blatantly violative of due process. Michigan had a second amendment rally yesterday. Yet not a peep on mlive (a popular local online news site). And local NPR (Michigan public radio) went with a story of some democrat house rep introducing a bill to allow protest signs in the state capitol. Open carry is legal in the capitol. So they get the rep on, who spouts off that “studies show that open carry doesn’t save lives, but our legislators think that protest signs are too dangerous to be carried in the capitol.” And the reporter gives a passing mention to the fact that the bill was introduced on the same day that there was a “rally for so-called open carry day.”

I’ve actually heard/read comments from liberal friends that we should regulate guns as strictly as we regulate abortion. How messed up is that? It’s a total tool to get back at Republicans.

Re: ABC/WaPo poll: majority for UBCs, ERPOs, bans, compulsory surrender; firearm prohibition would reduce mass shootings

DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:22 pm
Views on gun policy from latest @ABC/@washingtonpost poll (1,003 U.S. adults, MoE +/- 3.5%)

Requiring background checks
Support: 89%
Oppose: 9%
I support
Banning assault weapons
Support: 56%
Oppose: 41%
I've gotten to the point where I honestly don't care.
Mandatory assault weapon buyback
Support: 52%
Oppose: 44%
I've gotten to the point where I honestly, really don't care. But I think the NRA, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity should be the ones buying them.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

Polls have shown that most Americans are also in favor of a “Medicare for All” approach to healthcare, a third major political party, and disapprove of congress. The cynical right-wing interests of the civilian disarmament lobby are laid bare when they write off the majority here. And unlike disarming the working class, the other things people want would actually help address the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

Mikeinmich wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 pm It’s mostly the media. Controversy sells. And many of the main outlets-including NPR- spin the shit out of this.
Yup and since it's an ABC news poll and ABC is hosting tonight's Democratic presidential candidate debate they'll probably reference their poll in a question. The media will keep the drum beat going on gun control as long as they can make money. Background checks and red flag laws are the only things that gun supporters and gun grabbers agree on in this poll, similar to other polls.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ABC/WaPo poll: majority for UBCs, ERPOs, bans, compulsory surrender; firearm prohibition would reduce mass shootings

Two questions from a lurking conservative:
Why are you so down on the NRA?
If you don’t think the NRA has help us keep our rights, why would the gun grabbers continually complain of the NRA’s lobbying successes?

And secondly, and I state this with respect of this group, if you are concerned with red flag laws and possible confiscation, why vote liberal?

Dobe wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:44 pm Two questions from a lurking conservative:
If you don’t think the NRA has help us keep our rights, why would the gun grabbers continually complain of the NRA’s lobbying successes?

And secondly, and I state this with respect of this group, if you are concerned with red flag laws and possible confiscation, why vote liberal?

This excludes me, but for most people, including fudds, the RKBA is way down the list of things about which they really care.

DispositionMatrix wrote:

This excludes me, but for most people, including fudds, the RKBA is way down the list of things about which they really care.
Thanks, that explains it.

Because Wayne LaPierre has made it harder to be a gun owner and not easier. It's a long list but at the top of it: RKBA should NOT, NOT, NOT be a Conservative vs. Liberal issue.
Read your question again but then ask: Why does the NRA hate ME so much?
No one is immune from Targets of Convenience. Who else would you like the gun-grabbers to complain about?
Because, as we see, Conservatives are horrible at running our country. And I for one am not in the least bit worried about "possible" confiscation.

I don't care who is a single issue voter, but I am not. Abortion, immigration, LGBTQ, military spending/readiness are all as important to me (in my own uber-Liberal way) as they are to the people on the other side.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

-The NRA was right-wing nutty before it was in fashion. They got worse. They spew fear and hatred. They pretend it is about the 2nd Amendment, but it is about money and power for them.

-Voting liberal has almost nothing to do with Red Flag laws or "confiscation" in my opinion. GOP passes Red Flag laws in states and they are usually the first thing the GOP brings up. Confiscation is a fantasy cooked up by the GOP. It could only happen under a GOP-controlled country. Only Trump could convince the right-wing to give up their guns. Trump is their Kim Jung Un.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

MayhemVI wrote:

Because Wayne LaPierre has made it harder to be a gun owner and not easier. It's a long list but at the top of it: RKBA should NOT, NOT, NOT be a Conservative vs. Liberal issue.
Read your question again but then ask: Why does the NRA hate ME so much?
No one is immune from Targets of Convenience. Who else would you like the gun-grabbers to complain about?
Because, as we see, Conservatives are horrible at running our country. And I for one am not in the least bit worried about "possible" confiscation.

I don't care who is a single issue voter, but I am not. Abortion, immigration, LGBTQ, military spending/readiness are all as important to me (in my own uber-Liberal way) as they are to the people on the other side.
I have read and read the responses to my questions. Most don’t believe there will be a confiscation, and some feel that the NRA is responsible for the confiscation hype.
I can’t be the only one on this forum who has watched the Democratic candidates speak of “assault weapons” ban and confiscation.

I’m not a single issue voter either, but this is a gun forum. It’s a liberal gun forum; the question begged to be asked.

DispositionMatrix wrote:
Dobe wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 am I can’t be the only one on this forum who has watched the Democratic candidates speak of “assault weapons” ban and confiscation.
Heh. https://theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3/vi ... 24#p730424
Who said liberals don’t have a sense of humor?

That was funny.

Dobe wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 am
I’m not a single issue voter either, but this is a gun forum. It’s a liberal gun forum; the question begged to be asked.
Sure. Ask anything you want. If I have an answer, I'll give it. If cats, bong hits and work get in the way, hopefully others will reply. But while I'm a newbie to this forum, I've been a Liberal for quite a while; so I'll give a word of advice. Don't expect singular, rote answers. We don't use scripts....unless a shit load of money is involved and Martin Scorsese is directing (the man is reeeealy missing out on this undiscovered talent, btw).

MayhemVI wrote:
Dobe wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 am
Sure. Ask anything you want. If I have an answer, I'll give it. If cats, bong hits and work get in the way, hopefully others will reply. But while I'm a newbie to this forum, I've been a Liberal for quite a while; so I'll give a word of advice. Don't expect singular, rote answers. We don't use scripts....unless a shit load of money is involved and Martin Scorsese is directing (the man is reeeealy missing out on this undiscovered talent, btw).
Appreciate the info.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. -- H.L. Mencken
Mencken was obnoxious, abrasive, racist, elitist, and anti-Semitic. But, many of his observations, like this one, were surgically and acidly precise.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 am
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. -- H.L. Mencken
Mencken was obnoxious, abrasive, racist, elitist, and anti-Semitic. But, many of his observations, like this one, were surgically and acidly precise.
Mencken was all that, but as a newspaperman many of his statements were pithy. Democrats are a lot like Republicans they grab those simplistic solutions that are wrong. There is a huge difference between what is popular as measured by a poll and what works based on empirical research.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan