Re: Shootin and Ridin: any motorcyclists here?

Go to a local MC shop and find boots and gloves that are comfortable. Summer light-weight gloves with lots of vents, armored knuckles, and padded palms--but comfortable. There are fall, winter, and extreme cold gloves, even electric gloves (a godsend in frigid cold). Do NOT wear fingerless gloves! The rule is: Dress for the crash first, then the ride. I like Aerostar touring boots. Unfortunately I don't think they make them anymore. One pair saved my ankle bones when I went down 15 years ago. --the hidden plastic plates and leather over them took the abrasions. The ankle was just sprained.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I settled on elkskin gloves years ago. Super comfortable and the ones I have now have a rubber squeegie built into the thumb for the face shield on the helmet. The gear that I use is based on long distance touring needs, but it will keep me comfortable no matter what the distance traveled. My boots are Sidi, very comfortable while riding, not so much walking. Comfort is very important, if your'e not comfortable while riding you will not concentrate on riding safe.

eelj wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 am I settled on elkskin gloves years ago. Super comfortable and the ones I have now have a rubber squeegie built into the thumb for the face shield on the helmet. The gear that I use is based on long distance touring needs, but it will keep me comfortable no matter what the distance traveled. My boots are Sidi, very comfortable while riding, not so much walking. Comfort is very important, if your'e not comfortable while riding you will not concentrate on riding safe.
I like the idea of a visor wedge on the gloves. what brand are they?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm
eelj wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:57 am Elkskin ropers from Aerostitch. Andy Goldfine is a real obsessive rider. Most everything he sells has come from many years of experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... nTpTlnYq5A
BTW, endorsed by the CHP. Do they get too hot?
I consider them to be a 3 season glove. My bike has a very nice after market fairing on it which keeps wind off of my hands.

A lot of bikers like to sit around in bars and mutter to each other "in the wind man", sounds real cool, but a person needs to be protected from the wind or they can get quite dehydrated. The Ropers
fit over the cuffs of my jacket and seal off my arms from not just the wind but also bees and wasps, they tend to panic and start stinging when they feel trapped. Go try on a number of different gloves

and see what feels good to you. Same with the helmets.

eelj wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:58 am
senorgrand wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm
eelj wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:57 am Elkskin ropers from Aerostitch. Andy Goldfine is a real obsessive rider. Most everything he sells has come from many years of experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... nTpTlnYq5A
BTW, endorsed by the CHP. Do they get too hot?
I consider them to be a 3 season glove. My bike has a very nice after market fairing on it which keeps wind off of my hands.

A lot of bikers like to sit around in bars and mutter to each other "in the wind man", sounds real cool, but a person needs to be protected from the wind or they can get quite dehydrated. The Ropers
fit over the cuffs of my jacket and seal off my arms from not just the wind but also bees and wasps, they tend to panic and start stinging when they feel trapped. Go try on a number of different gloves

and see what feels good to you. Same with the helmets.
Nothing like being stung while laid over in a turn...with a passenger riding pillion! Been there, done that! -- a yellow jack stung my hand. My mind was aware, but it didn't feel it till we were stopped and the engine turned off...THEN it hurt like hell!

In hot weather you need air flow to cool you but being pounded by the wind is both dehydrating (bad) but deafening (worse), plus tiring and mind-numbing (Deadly). That's why mesh jackets with armor are actually more comfortable at speed than just a tee. Better air flow, less pounding. But you gotta hydrate.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

MaxWyatt wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:43 am I'm also a fan of gauntlet style gloves. Better protection for your wrists and forearms and keeps the weather out of your sleeves. I only use my mesh and 'short' gloves when trail riding. I don't have enough confidence in them in case of a crash on the road.
I'm generally of the opinion that your palms and finger tips are the most at risk in a crash of your hands.