Re: Home Defense Gun Suggestions

The TP9SF model is an excellent gun. Trigger is better out of the box than my polished trigger G17. This model doesn’t have the wonky decocker so it’s always ready to go, like a Glock. Balances well, has a match-grade barrel, and is very affordable.

I know nothing of being a hipster so I decided to write about the gun... not hip enough.

Oh, and being “old” is a state of mind. We can avoid that by remaining mentally limber.

And having sex. Lots of sexy-time.
Last edited by Bisbee on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:07 pm
Bucolic wrote: nor a flannel wardrobe.
You're doing yourself a disservice. Flannel shirts are peak fashion
Not in 100+ degree days in Texas. Not even in Austin.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Bisbee wrote:The TP9SF model is an excellent gun. Trigger is better out of the box than my polished trigger G17. This model doesn’t have the wonky decocker so it’s always ready to go, like a Glock. Balances well, has a match-grade barrel, and is very affordable.

I know nothing of being a hipster so I decided to write about the gun... not hip enough.

Oh, and being “old” is a state of mind. We can avoid that by remaining mentally limber.

And having sex. Lots of sexy-time.
What don't you like about Glock's decocker, or is it decockers in general?

Edit: I misread. So what don't you like about decockers?
Last edited by DMac on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm
Bucolic wrote:My clock stopped around 1978.
I seriously have a hard time believing anyone on the internet is old. I don't know why.
Let me guess.... you are young and don't talk to many people over 50? Until now, that is?

Gun forums have a lot of people over 50.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:32 pm
featureless wrote:No decocker on a Glock.

By the way, congrats on the purchase!
I misread. Do people not like decockers?
Depends. Before I could carry, I preferred a striker with no saftey or decocker. Now that I have a CCW, the idea of a chambered gun with a lightish trigger has pushed me back to a DA\SA platform, thus the new CZs. One has a decocker for carry. One has a saftey for home because California won't let me have the decocker version. :)

K9s wrote:
DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm
I seriously have a hard time believing anyone on the internet is old. I don't know why.
Let me guess.... you are young and don't talk to many people over 50? Until now, that is?

Gun forums have a lot of people over 50.
I thought people over 50 online were an illusion created by George Soros to further Best Buy's Geek Squad cartel strangle hold on the tech support market.

I also don't have Facebook or deal with social media much, so everyone online is a 25 year old white guy who wears polos in my mind.

We all have our demons.

just because i'm over 50/60/65 doesn't mean i can't act immature. i think of retirement as a chance to be a kid again, wear shorts and t-shirts and flip-flops everywhere, take naps whenever i feel like it, don't work, don't go to school. mash lightly (no touch!) on the pretty girls. my toys are more expensive lately. responsibility is for suckers and losers. :D
Last edited by lurker on Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

featureless wrote:
DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:32 pm
featureless wrote:No decocker on a Glock.

By the way, congrats on the purchase!
I misread. Do people not like decockers?
because California won't let me have the decocker version. :)
I almost took an engineering job in California. Glad I didn't now. Climate is too hot, and everything causes cancer there

Decockers are fine. But it depends on the manufacturer’s design intent.

Specifically on the Canik TP9-SA, in copying the Walther design, they included the decocker but on a Single Action striker pistol. Who the hell does that? So if you load a round and decocked the gun to holster and carry safely, every time you draw the gun you have to rack the slide again! Pretty useless for a carry pistol, unless you basically practice draw-and-rack Israeli style. I guess anything is possible.

The one you got is the subsequent design, where Canik listened to the consumer reviews and did away with the decocker altogether.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Pretty useless for a carry pistol, unless you basically practice draw-and-rack Israeli style. I guess anything is possible.
What's the deal with that? I saw some Israeli military surplus pistols in this config. Kinda confused me.

In the good ole USMC we carried the Beretta M9, DA/SA and made sense because we trained with the external hammer you could press on when leg holstering for extra safety. Since us jarheads need all the extra safety we can get.

But the Israeli style baffles me. The pistol was always my backup weapon when transporting certain equipment, so if you ever needed it that means someone got the drop on you close. Couldn't imagine having to rack it to fire.

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:19 pm
Bucolic wrote:
DMac wrote:
Shit, I’m so old that I was on the internet before they let AOL In.
So you remember when pop-up blockers were a thing?
I'm so old I remember when the "internet" was the Fido-net, and eMail could take as long to get across the country as snail-mail!
I remember when my HS "computer" was a dial-up acoustic-coupler teletype that did everything in BASIC, and you recorded programs on a paper tape--and both Gates and Jobs were also in HS.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote:just because i'm over 50/60/65 doesn't mean i can't act immature. i think of retirement as a chance to be a kid again, wear shorts and t-shirts and flip-flops everywhere, take naps whenever i feel like it, don't work, don't go to school. mash lightly (no touch!) on the pretty girls. my toys are more expensive lately. responsibility is for suckers and losers. :D
Your retirement plan is a lot like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:26 pm
lurker wrote:just because i'm over 50/60/65 doesn't mean i can't act immature. i think of retirement as a chance to be a kid again, wear shorts and t-shirts and flip-flops everywhere, take naps whenever i feel like it, don't work, don't go to school. mash lightly (no touch!) on the pretty girls. my toys are more expensive lately. responsibility is for suckers and losers. :D
Your retirement plan is a lot like mine.
i'm actually chafing a bit at the lack of structure. i've always been somewhat serendipitous, plans are for other people, but now i've all of this time on my hands, and i need a bit of organization. those bucket list items? pick one, work up to it, knock it out, check it off. next!
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I'm old enough to remember having a dialup shell account that had to be run through a terminal program to access the internet on a UNIX machine. The ISP was the only one in the DFW area that provided that access to us mere mortals. the good old days of Gopher Space, FIDONet, and heaven forbid who can forget USENET.

I love the decocker on my Sig 227 DA/SA Don't have to worry about a safety. First round trigger pull is heavy as hell, but the rest are a SRT and light as can be. The first round fired is like using a DA/SA revolver.

I just can't wrap my mind around the "Trigger Safety" of the Glocks. Their safety is why we develop the term Glock Leg. The Glock trigger safety kinda reminds me of a baby boy's pecker. It has to be covered at all times because it is liable to go off at anytime it touches anything.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,