Re: Home Defense Gun Suggestions

I treat my Glock 19 and SIG P365 like a fixed blade knife (but with a very long reach). A knife has no safety, whenever it’s out of its sheath, it’s ready to use. Only fools sheath their knife in a hurry, because they’re liable to get stabbed.

As long as I keep the pistol in its holster, it will never go off. Glocks have been dropped from a helicopter without causing the striker to hit the primer.

The kind of people who get glock legs is the same kind who would stab or slice himself when handling a knife. I have carried a knife of some sort for a couple of decades and I have never cut myself, so I’m comfortable in carrying a pistol without manual safety or DA.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

you've never cut yourself? I can't tell you how many times I've nicked myself--but never when the knife was closed or sheath. Hell, I'm FAMOUS for coming from working on something and one of my boys will say "Dad, did you know your leg/knee/arm is bleeding?" (usually not). You work on a job with a matte knife and sooner or later you WILL nick yourself. That's what first aid kits are for. Some use Crazy Glue to glue cuts together!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Stiff wrote:.

The kind of people who get glock legs is the same kind who would stab or slice himself when handling a knife. I have carried a knife of some sort for a couple of decades and I have never cut myself, so I’m comfortable in carrying a pistol without manual safety or DA.
We called these people ASVAB Waivers in the Marines. No matter what safety precaution was set in place, they'd manage to circumvent it.

You don't know how many people cut themselves opening up MREs with knives out in the field.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:46 pm you've never cut yourself? I can't tell you how many times I've nicked myself--but never when the knife was closed or sheath. Hell, I'm FAMOUS for coming from working on something and one of my boys will say "Dad, did you know your leg/knee/arm is bleeding?" (usually not). You work on a job with a matte knife and sooner or later you WILL nick yourself. That's what first aid kits are for. Some use Crazy Glue to glue cuts together!
I’ve probably nicked myself a couple of times, but never severe enough worth remembering. I used to collect knives too, and some of them are sharpened until the edge has a near mirror polish. A couple of those knives are sharp enough to literally split hair. Still, no serious issues. It probably helps that I’m a creature of habit and I’m anal retentive about safety.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:48 pm
But the Israeli style baffles me. The pistol was always my backup weapon when transporting certain equipment, so if you ever needed it that means someone got the drop on you close. Couldn't imagine having to rack it to fire.
There was just a discussion about this on another forum. The reasoning seems to be that the various Israeli forces had various guns from various manufacturers and sources. None were up to date or consistent. So, rather than train everyone on every weapon, they standardized on empty chamber. They also prioritized a minimizing of ND over everything else.

I'm not sure how accurate the story is, but my dad was on board US Navy ships in the 80s as a civilian contract employee. He said policy was that guard arms would be unloaded to prevent ND. In the case of high alert, sidearms would still be unloaded, but the slide would be locked back and a loaded magazine would be held in the other hand. To fire, the mag would be inserted and slide released.

If this is true, empty-chamber standards aren't from that long ago, or really that weird.

bajajoaquin wrote:
DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:48 pm
But the Israeli style baffles me. The pistol was always my backup weapon when transporting certain equipment, so if you ever needed it that means someone got the drop on you close. Couldn't imagine having to rack it to fire.
There was just a discussion about this on another forum. The reasoning seems to be that the various Israeli forces had various guns from various manufacturers and sources. None were up to date or consistent. So, rather than train everyone on every weapon, they standardized on empty chamber. They also prioritized a minimizing of ND over everything else.
Ok, that kinda makes sense. I want to buy an Israeli surplus pistol now. Need to convince the wife I need it

bajajoaquin said:

I'm not sure how accurate the story is, but my dad was on board US Navy ships in the 80s as a civilian contract employee. He said policy was that guard arms would be unloaded to prevent ND. In the case of high alert, sidearms would still be unloaded, but the slide would be locked back and a loaded magazine would be held in the other hand.
I was out of the USN/USMC by late 1980, but in the late 1970s the guns were loaded onboard. Usually without a round in the chamber. In the early 80s, they still used .45 1911s.

There were several kinds of "guards" on a ship. The military police in the Navy are called "MPs" on board and SPs ashore (Shore Patrol). The difference is that when you walk across the brow onto the ship, you are governed solely by the UCMJ (Military Law). There is a civilian visitor rider to the UCMJ. But ashore, you have to mix the UCMJ with local laws and regs, thus all SPs are also MPs, but not all MPs qualify for Shore Patrol.

These different conditions regular how they are armed and the loaded condition of the weapons. For example, in Italy, SPs cannot carry a gun ashore at all, but in Germany, they are armed. In Japan, unarmed, in Singapore, armed.

Marine guards are armed, loaded with one in the chamber and carry in Condition 1. On an aircraft carrier, it is usually Marine Guards that run the brig and guard the Admiral. They are armed and weapons loaded.

My personal caliber choice is .40 S&W.

1. Because it was designed from the ground up as a law enforcement round that did not have to take into account Geneva Convention laws. 9mm and .45 where adapted from FMJ military rounds. 9mm adapterd better than .45 in my oppinion.
2. The round count penalty of .40 S&W is not as much compared to .45. Although if you are limited to 10 rounds they may not matter.
3. More energy. Heavier bullet at similar velocity = more energy transferred to the threat. Penetration & expansion is a matter of bullet design IMHO.

When it comes to what gun. I say whatever is most comfortable for you. Triggers, sights, etc you can change. Ergonomics not so much. Buy what fits best from any of the reputable brands and that is your personal best bet.

I have an AR with a sling, red dot, and light and some loaded mags in a bandoleer for that .001% chance of some kind of prolonged firefight. But the other 99.999 of the time I worry that rifle caliber rounds fired in suburbia would post to high of a risk to innocent bystanders.

My next project is to build a budget 10.5" 300BLK "pistol". Ill buy a good barrel and adjustable gas system so its reliable. But the rest I will try and find second hand so if/when I resell I will not loose much. If I like the short 300 BLK with subsonic loads (they have similar energy to a heavy grain pistol load) I'll get a suppressor and then eventually buy a factory 300BLK SBR. This could eventually go along with my nightstand pistol as a first line defense weapon.

It seems there are few suppressible pistol caliber carbines other than 9mm and I want something with more energy than that in a rifle form factor.

FYI all of this is "just like my opinion man".