chinese carved soapstone bud vases.

my parents had a couple of these, the red ones. we called them "red jade". my sibling inherited one, and i the other. as i've come across more here and there, i've scooped them up. now i have 4. another little collection of pretty things. there appear to be a couple of different styles, and levels of detail, possibly regional. they still make these for export. maybe one day i should have them appraised, but i just like to look at them. little universes unto themselves.
LUGO1657.JPG
LUGO1651.JPG
LUGO1654.JPG
Last edited by lurker on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: chinese carved soapstone bud vases.

i searched them up on the net, found some for sale, anywhere from $65 to $700. i have no idea what distinguishes a "cheap" one from an expensive one, except maybe size and level of detail. there don't appear to be any makers' marks. there are other motifs, people, animals, country scenes.

Re: chinese carved soapstone bud vases.

i suspect that some of you must think it's silly for a grown (notice, i never said "mature") man to like this sort of thing, but in their way they are works of (granted, commercial) art, much like the scallop on the nose of a 1911 slide or the blocky function-over-form aesthetic of an AK. no matter how important function was to a guy like browning or garand or kalashnikov, at some point in the process the man had a vision and it included an unnecessary subtle curve here, a little smoothing-out there, because it just looked or felt more right.