Straws, high caps and shampoo

I'm not a fan of single use anything (well, maybe bullets). While I generally support most of the California environmental progressivisms, sometimes, things get a little silly. While 2 million people are in the dark as the favored solution to mitigate wildfire risk, Newsom is busy signing a ban on hotel shampoo bottles. Yep, from straws to high capacity magazines to single serving shampoo, we gots to ban it. God knows there's nothing more critical to do in this state.
New Law Bans Hotels From Giving Guests Small Bottle Of Shampoo, Soap, Lotion
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/10 ... YVrd5JxspA

Re: Straws, high caps and shampoo

When I travel, I liked the small shampoo bottles. It was better than bringing my own.

Is it really such a catastrophe versus the rental car and airplane emissions from a trip?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:34 pm When I travel, I liked the small shampoo bottles. It was better than bringing my own.

Is it really such a catastrophe versus the rental car and airplane emissions from a trip?
If you're going to run for president, it's important to have a record of "doing something". I guess this qualifies. I mean, dude did fix homelessness in San Francisco, right? Do you think there's an exemption in the law for hair gel?

When banning shampoo bottles, straws, or large soda cups counts as "doing something" then things must be going really well in that state.

https://www.politifact.com/california/s ... onsible-s/

"The vast majority" of San Francisco’s homeless people "also come in from — and we know this — from Texas. Just (an) interesting fact."
— Gavin Newsom on Sunday, June 23rd, 2019 in an interview on "Axios on HBO"
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reminds me of a column by George Skelton this morning about a new PPIC poll.
The gloomy mood shows up in polls when an age-old question is asked: “Do you think things are generally going in the right direction or the wrong direction?” The Public Policy Institute of California recently asked that question about this state. And the reply among likely voters was overwhelmingly negative: 41% right direction, 54% wrong direction. The voters’ view of California hasn’t been that negative in a PPIC poll since 2014, when we were starting to emerge from the recession and suffering a severe drought.

Californians have a much worse opinion of the nation’s direction, according to another recent poll by the nonpartisan UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies. It found only 28% of registered voters thought the country was headed in the right direction and 72% believed it was on the wrong track. That’s largely because President Trump is so unpopular in this state. In the IGS poll, just 31% approved of Trump’s job performance and 69% disapproved.

But because Democrats lopsidedly control state government, you might think California’s deep-blue electorate would have a more optimistic view of the state’s direction. Why don’t they? “People are on edge,” says Mark Baldassare, PPIC’s president and pollster. “There’s a number of things going on that people feel nervous about. Opinions seem to be a lot more negative than the economics call for now.” He asked likely voters another age-old question: “What do you think is the most important issue facing people in California?” And for the first time ever, homelessness appeared in in double digits, the pollster says.

In fact, homelessness placed No. 1 at 16%, ahead of even jobs and the economy, at 13%. Then came housing costs and immigration, each at 11%, and the environment, 10%. Taxes and state spending were at 9%.
“Beyond housing,” Baldassare says, “people are worried about healthcare costs, mass shootings, someone they know being deported. There are a number of things they’re worried about.” Including high taxes, a California trademark. And horrible traffic congestion plus nitwit drivers.

The IGS poll found that half the state’s registered voters have thought about leaving the state. “People are very scared and have no confidence in the future,” Sragow says. “That’s exactly how you get a Donald Trump [elected].” Hey, times are good — but apparently not by 21st century standards.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ction-poll
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

K9s wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:49 pm "The vast majority" of San Francisco’s homeless people "also come in from — and we know this — from Texas. Just (an) interesting fact."
— Gavin Newsom on Sunday, June 23rd, 2019 in an interview on "Axios on HBO"
That sounds just about as factual as something Trump would say. Glad I didn't vote for either asshole. (I left the governor box blank on the last ballot for the first time ever)

CDFingers wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:43 pm I liked Jerry's "not every problem needs a law."

CDFingers
I miss Jerry, he was the adult in the Big House. For the benefit of others we're referring to former CA Gov Jerry Brown who termed out after his second eight years as governor.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan