Noob Lee Pro 1000 Questions

OK, I FINALLY got my Lee reloading stand and Lee Pro 1000 progressive press setup. Whew...that was a lot of work. Sort of a Rube Goldberg contraption.

Anyway, I've got a few questions:

1) how do I spot-check powder charge? This was easy on my turret press, but I'm not sure how to snatch a shell from the process without powder leaking everywhere. The setup came with an auto disc, which is another Rube Goldberg device that took sometime to get together. Do I have to load a round and pull the bullet to be sure. Do I just put a wax paper disc in the bottom of the shell? Do I need to do this every 10 or 50 or 100 times to check powder charges?

2) primers are no longer feeding. I've got a full rack of them, but they are no longer feeding. Any ideas?

3) How do I increase my crimp without decreasing my OAL? I used to know this, but I haven't reloaded in awhile.

4) Anyone figure out a way to capture rounds as the exit the slide? This seems like a design flaw. I'm thinking a small canvas bag.

I'm excited about how fast this thing can run, but I'm a little concerned that something will go wrong and I'll miss something and have like a 100 rounds to pull.

Thanks!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Noob Lee Pro 1000 Questions

Been a bit since I owned one, but IIRC:
1) You have to take out the round by slightly starting the cycle- once you've started to pull the lever, before the round starts to rotate and is still in the powder charge position, you can pull it off, check it, and then put it back. Check 10 in a row, it should start to normalize. Then every 5, then every 10. Then maybe every 20 or so. NEVER stop manually looking at it.

2) You probably have a turned primer inside the feed ramp. Common issue with the Pro 1000. Will need a long flexible wire to poke at it.

3) On a round where you have the OAL set correctly- back off the seating plug so it's not contacting the bullet- then adjust the body of the die downwards until you get the desired level of crimp. Then turn the seating plug back down until it lightly contacts (by feel) the bullet. Should be set

4) This depends on your mounting situation. On my stand, it had a place to put a little plastic box that caught the rounds below the chute.

As this is your first progressive, CHECK EVERY ROUND. When the primer ramp gets buggered, you'll wind up with powder spilling and making a mess. Compressed air is good to have around. Even once you get into a groove, still check those powder charges every 20, even if you think it's metering perfectly.

The Auto disk works fine with some powders, I do find that the newer powder measure is less finicky and doesn't rely on that goofy chain. Plus you can use it on your turret as well- and it's only $30 or so. Totally worth the extra cash. I picked up additional drums, one for each powder and caliber combo that I commonly run so I can pop it on and go.

Once it's setup and tuned, the Pro 1000 turns out plenty of find quality ammo. It definitely requires paying attention to the press and catching issues.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:26 pm Should be priming, then charging. Shouldn't dump powder at all.
Yeah, a quick glance at the manual says it should be priming on the lift of the handle after the resize. I don't know much about the lee 1000 but if its anything like the other progressives I've used you have lift the handle all the way and actually push it forward at the top of the stroke to seat the primer.

My first bit of time with the Pro 1000 was a lesson in patience. If you set the primer in the primer feeder, will it get pushed in correctly? If it's an issue with them sliding correctly down the ramp, clean the feed ramp (again and again if necessary) and use a little powdered graphite. Once you figure out what exactly it needs, it will run well. That said, I did decide to leave it on 9mm only, and used my turret for everything else once I got it tuned. To be fair, I'm also only using my LNL Ammo plant for 9mm as well.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Thanks! I do have primer feeding issues every 20 rounds or so. Having at least 20 primers in the tray seems to help push them down. I will probably buy a second tray and try and polish it up a bit.

I even added a bullet catch. Used an AR brass catcher and a bar magnet. Works well.

I'm not crazy about the way the Autodisc measures Titegroup. I'm throwing between 4.2 and 4.6 for what is supposed to be a 4.4. Wish the variation was a little tighter. I'm measuring every 12 rounds and checking my OAL. Wish I could mount a dental mirror on the press so I could better see the powder without craning my neck.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

When I use my Pro-1000, I split the work between two separate die disks. First disk, I de-cap with a Lee universal de-capping die. Then full length size. Third die is a Lyman 'M' die. No fourth die here. I then prime off press (does not take long). Second die plate, first is Lee powder measure with the powder through expander turned down in diameter so as not to foul the 'M' die's work. Then I use an RCBS powder check die. You need to keep an eye on it, but is more positive than a powder lockout die. Then I seat, followed by the crimp die last.
I use the Lee auto disk PM that has the spring return underneath. I removed the spring so that I could grind a clearance notch to get rid of the 'twang it makes. Replacing the spring takes some effort, wear safety glasses.
What I noticed with this PM is that when the disk was moving toward the drop chute, the spring would hang up a bit on the webbing. Then when the spring broke clear of the webbing underneath, (when it twangs), the disk jumps slightly forward quickly, tossing a bit of powder out.
Also the PTX (expander on the powder measure) will not release the case until pulled down, causing the case to snap downward, where it tosses a bit more powder out. That is why i reduced it's diameter to fit inside the case mouth freely, necessitating the use of the "M' die.
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

popgunn wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm When I use my Pro-1000, I split the work between two separate die disks. First disk, I de-cap with a Lee universal de-capping die. Then full length size. Third die is a Lyman 'M' die. No fourth die here. I then prime off press (does not take long). Second die plate, first is Lee powder measure with the powder through expander turned down in diameter so as not to foul the 'M' die's work. Then I use an RCBS powder check die. You need to keep an eye on it, but is more positive than a powder lockout die. Then I seat, followed by the crimp die last.
I use the Lee auto disk PM that has the spring return underneath. I removed the spring so that I could grind a clearance notch to get rid of the 'twang it makes. Replacing the spring takes some effort, wear safety glasses.
What I noticed with this PM is that when the disk was moving toward the drop chute, the spring would hang up a bit on the webbing. Then when the spring broke clear of the webbing underneath, (when it twangs), the disk jumps slightly forward quickly, tossing a bit of powder out.
Also the PTX (expander on the powder measure) will not release the case until pulled down, causing the case to snap downward, where it tosses a bit more powder out. That is why i reduced it's diameter to fit inside the case mouth freely, necessitating the use of the "M' die.
You have a Lee Pro 1000 with 4 stations?

Marlene wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:55 pm
popgunn wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm When I use my Pro-1000, I split the work between two separate die disks. First disk, I de-cap with a Lee universal de-capping die. Then full length size. Third die is a Lyman 'M' die. No fourth die here. I then prime off press (does not take long). Second die plate, first is Lee powder measure with the powder through expander turned down in diameter so as not to foul the 'M' die's work. Then I use an RCBS powder check die. You need to keep an eye on it, but is more positive than a powder lockout die. Then I seat, followed by the crimp die last.
You have a Lee Pro 1000 with 4 stations?
You are so right to call me out on this! Total brain fart on my part. I use a four hole Lee turret with this method. Although, one could do the same with the Pro-1000. :oops:
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.