Re: Favorite Gun Safe

senorgrand wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:17 pm Looking for a good safe to keep a couple of handguns in my bedroom closet. Recommendations welcomed.

Gotta fit a 5" N Frame in there, plus a J Frame.
Just a note... they'll steal the safe if it is at all portable. Ask me how I know? :(
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Amsec makes a good safe. I know people with them. 2-hour fire rating available in a documents-and-guns size. Expensive, at $700-$1200, but if properly secured, is really proper security for guns and sensitive docs.

The Browning I mentioned above is tempting, but I’m more likely to buy an Amsec 2-hour safe to take the non-guns out of the gun safe and have separate spaces for guns and docs.

Re post #19 - two weeks and no repair parts for Cannon lock and no response to request for status.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I have a Browning safe I picked up on sale a few years back. Opted for the mechanical lock. It's a solid piece of hardware. For under a grand, it's a great choice.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The saga continues:

Received replacement lock yesterday. FedEx driver leaves in rain rather than under porch eave. Fortunately, plastic envelope and no interior damage. Today planned to install. Didn't look much like my lock (mechanical parts) and the referenced video attached to their email acknowledging order back when doesn't apply to my safe. Thought may be I was missing something. Called Cannon, asking about metal plate supplied which was about have size of original. Gave work order number, repeated model and SN - they wrote down incorrect SN by 3 numbers. CS says they sent me wrong lock. No shit Sherlock!! Will send correct lock. Asked what they wanted to do with wrong lock - keep, toss, use as paper weight - they don't want it back. So I'm back to square one - a safe that locks - sometimes, others not. Can't be sure but think Ivanka or Jared fucking with me !!! :sarcasm:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Amsec still makes some good stuff. A couple of months ago I've bought a new Safe, I've moved to another place and thought it's going to be nice to have a new safe. Ordered BFII Gunsafe, with a 120 minutes fire rating. I thought it's going to be nice to have an electronic lock cuz I used to have a mechanical one and I had called locksmith in enfield en3 to open it a couple of times, two times I had lost the key and the other time my wife broke the key inside the lock. I thought an electronic lock will be much more comfortable for me.
Last edited by HelenBr on Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

When I bought my "big" safe, I looked at what was readily available that would hold more than I expected to accumulate. Easy places were Cabela's and the locally-owned locksmith company, but it turns out that Harbor Freight, Lowe's, Tractor Supply, and a couple other places near me had options (not all of them good, several of them far larger than I expect to need). This a year or so after there was a place a quarter-mile from my house that specialized in Liberty safes closed for lack of business (or so I would assume).

I bought an American Security model from the locksmith company, and for a little while used a few full ammo cans to ballast the thing until I figured out where to mount it. I eventually added some blocking between the floor joists in the chosen spot (since I had crawl space access), and used some fairly long lag screws to anchor the thing.

Could it be ripped out by a would-be thief? One supposes so, but it would require a Herculean effort, and a fair bit of time. The smaller safe, used for ammunition, is secured to the wall but rests atop the gun safe for now. If we change houses, I'll have to figure out a better arrangement.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

This is an ancient thread, but I still prefer my combination lock safe that's bolted to the wall and floor and locked inside a bedroom closet. Fuck the bad guys anyway. I have protective cats with whom one should not mess, eh.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:05 pm This is an ancient thread, but I still prefer my combination lock safe that's bolted to the wall and floor and locked inside a bedroom closet. Fuck the bad guys anyway. I have protective cats with whom one should not mess, eh.

CDFingers
I miss having a protective cat. The most recent cat got rehomed for bringing too many of her own pets into the house (turned out the rodents she was catching were part of a different problem, but she seems happy where she is, being a barn cat with plenty of hunting options).

I also agree that a combination safe anchored in multiple ways and also behind a locked door is a good thing. A safe for the bedside home defense piece is also a good idea for some folks' situations.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

I got this from Academy recently for ~$350. Would be easy for many to outgrow in a hurry, but I have no intention of getting more than perhaps a shotgun any time in the near future.
It's anchored to both the slab floor and with lags to the wall. Being in the corner the way that it is will make using a prybar on the door very difficult, I'd say that an angle grinder on the side would be the quickest way in but even that is going to take a while and by then the protective cats should have the intruders properly dealt with.

Reprinted with permission of the author from...
viewtopic.php?p=789663&hilit=Safe#p789663

Which I'd recommend reading entirely. Because ... I discovered a problem and shared it here.
rolandson wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:10 pm Discussed in slightly greater detail in this thread...

https://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB ... fe#p727346

Specifically...
rolandson wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 am
Marlene wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:35 pm Zinc works in wet systems, but not so much in a dry drawer.

I keep these in my safes and parts/tool/die boxes.

https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-Rust-Prev ... +inhibitor

https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-VC2-2-NoR ... +inhibitor
Hi.
Been awhile hasn't it...!?

Sorry for resurrecting an old chestnut but...always preferred that to creating new, back in the day, as it were.

PSA:
I made an unhappy discovery yesterday that I thought worth sharing; rust forming on items inside my safe, which maintains a perfectly controlled environment for metal storage. Or so I thought.

I couldn't understand why a micro-layer of rust would develop on well prepared and cared for items inside my safe, whereas similar items stored outside of the safe remained rust free.

Turns out is not humidity. It's the result of the materials used to line the interior of the safe; drywall for fire resistance and carpeting for aesthetics. The sulfur and formaldehyde used in manufacturing are continuously evaporating out of these materials and contaminating the atmosphere inside.

Thus the item purchased to protect the things inside is, in reality, destroying them. Now admittedly it's not a terribly expensive safe, but...?

For the time being I've opted for VCI bags from the same folks Marlene mentioned. Sooner rather than later I'll strip the interior out of the safe, as I expect these materials are doing to the safe what they are doing to my stuff.

Thought I'd mention it.
Ultimately, should one read through the linked thread, the solution was two-fold:
First, Winchester refunded the purchase price of the safe, without, I'm surprised to say, asking anything of me in return.

Second, I took the safe apart (learning a great deal about combination locks in the process), stripped the interior, removed all the rust and corrosion, treated the interior with penetrating oil, reassembled...
And bingo! I've a metal box with a combination lock on the door that provides a place to keep stuff.
Yea!!!

I haven't detected any damage to the stuff I had inside, but I am religious in regularly checking.
YMMV

Edit...
I found some useful things here:
https://robertsdefense.com/gun-safe-corrosion/
And here:
https://robertsdefense.com/the-truth-ab ... -tell-you/

Though, much to his disappointment I'm sure, I didn't buy one of his safes. The take away I want to emphasize is to reiterate the corrosive gas that was filling the interior of my safe. It was coming from the carpeted drywall used to create the fire resistance "rating".

I'm pretty sure my 1943 M1 Carbine and 1943 M1 Garand would be dust by now had I attributed the rust to humidity.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Just wondering how often you open your safe. Maybe if you opened it more it wouldn't have fumes built up.
Foreign made stuff, you know asia area use a lot of formaldehyde as I don't think it's regulated. I remember chinese drywall making people sick and people having to strip their homes to the studs.
My Liberty Safe is made in USA and I open it a lot, well the wife stores jewelry and laptops in there. It got interior plugins . So you could run a dehumidifier in it as well.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:36 pm Just wondering how often you open your safe. Maybe if you opened it more it wouldn't have fumes built up.
Foreign made stuff, you know asia area use a lot of formaldehyde as I don't think it's regulated. I remember chinese drywall making people sick and people having to strip their homes to the studs.
My Liberty Safe is made in USA and I open it a lot, well the wife stores jewelry and laptops in there. It got interior plugins . So you could run a dehumidifier in it as well.
US made safe residential security box. Says so right on the door! The drywall I pulled out of it had "made in USA" printed on it.
Put simply, there really isn't any excuse for any component of a "safe" to emit fumes that are destructive to the items inside it.

The manufacturer agreed. Or, rather than be held accountable for the damage their product caused to, among other things, a 1964 Fender Stratocaster*, they refunded the purchase price.

*Google the current price of these.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

I guess I'm real lucky to live in a place where water no longer exists. Obviously, my low humidity is the big reason why I've no rust in my safe. I open it maybe five times a week. I'm sure any moisture in there is abruptly whisked out by our desiccated landscape. Count my blessings I suppose.

CDFingers

BearPaws wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:47 am When I bought my "big" safe, I looked at what was readily available that would hold more than I expected to accumulate. Easy places were Cabela's and the locally-owned locksmith company, but it turns out that Harbor Freight, Lowe's, Tractor Supply, and a couple other places near me had options (not all of them good, several of them far larger than I expect to need). This a year or so after there was a place a quarter-mile from my house that specialized in Liberty safes closed for lack of business (or so I would assume).

I bought an American Security model from the locksmith company, and for a little while used a few full ammo cans to ballast the thing until I figured out where to mount it. I eventually added some blocking between the floor joists in the chosen spot (since I had crawl space access), and used some fairly long lag screws to anchor the thing.

Could it be ripped out by a would-be thief? One supposes so, but it would require a Herculean effort, and a fair bit of time. The smaller safe, used for ammunition, is secured to the wall but rests atop the gun safe for now. If we change houses, I'll have to figure out a better arrangement. (edited to add emphasis)
Revisiting this thread. I didn't realize when I wrote this comment that I would be changing houses so soon, but here I am.

In the process of buying the house, I went back to the locksmith company to see what other safes they had--I envisioned a smaller safe hidden in a tool cabinet in the garage for ready access to pistols and some ammo--and they had some closeout deals on a 1.5cu ft firesafe with a combination AND a key lock for $150. The tool cabinet I thought would work is too narrow, sadly, so I'm working out other ideas. I bought two of these safes, figuring on using one or maybe both for ammo storage (I have reasons for locking the backstock of ammo). I'm still working on how to secure these, but I think I'm ready to start bolting them down. I have a wall lock box (~$100 from Harbor Freight) tucked into a corner in my garage where I keep the EDC pistol, and the in-laws don't seem to know it's there, let alone what's in it.

Changing address is a moving experience, y'all. Selling two houses (ours and the in-laws' house) and buying one house for four adults--two with age-related memory lapses or diagnosed dementia--has been a journey, and it's not over for a long time yet. I don't want my in-laws fingering my firearms, even if they know I have them, so all the guns are under lock unless in my pack on the way to the range or in a holster. The in-laws don't try the stairs (happily), so the big safe is on the lower level (out of sight, out of mind).

Well how big is big?
After buying my liberty 23 gun safe and the wife moved her stuff in it there's only enough room for half that amount of guns.

Never take your wife safe shopping cuz they don't want no big ugly safe. They want a smaller pretty safe. Like it's furniture or something.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Yeah, my wife has her jewelry in there, so I had to put the howitzer in the back yard.

However, I came to post that I verily prefer the manual tumbler to the electronic buttons. My only challenge is to remember the combo. Just in case, I wrote it down and stashed the paper. Only my son knows where it is.

CDFingers

Re my post #34 above - did receive correct replacement combo electronic lock for my safe and - knock on wood - still operational. BUT, I still have a love/hate relationship with my Cannon safe. What I need to do now is sell most of it's contents with exception of ammo. LOL I've got more safe queens than turd has lawsuits!!