Looking for suggestions for something smallish and accurate

We looked for a pistol for my wife and settled on a Walther CCP because of it's compact size and ease of racking (she struggled a bit racking other 9 mms in the shop). Had it out for the first day the range and she doesn't like it at all. She loves shooting the AR-15, loves the fact that she can get a bullseye at 15 meters and also loves how easy it is to shoot. Going to the CCP, it's like trying to hit the broad side of a barn. She shoots it easy enough, but hates the lack of accuracy and is concerned that even with practice she wouldn't actually be able to hit something if the need arose. She also shot my Shield 9, which she racked with no problem on the range - I think her trouble racking in the shop was more a function of gun shop guys staring her down while she tried to do it. But again, subcompact size - not very accurate. I shoot it well enough and it works nicely for my EDC, but she is looking for something different.

She doesn't need something super easy to conceal - she won't carry all the time but it would be nice if it fit in her purse at times (pretty big purse). She does have smaller hands but is strong - no problems with recoil or racking a slide. She enjoys accuracy above all else. Ideally something in 9mm, but that's not a deal breaker. Simplicity in operation is good and ease of maintenance and cleaning is a must - she has cleaned and reassembled an AR-15 so she can handle that, but don't want too many parts that only a gunsmith can fix and/or are hard to find...

Y'all got any ideas??

Thanks!

Re: Looking for suggestions for something smallish and accurate

1) lots more trigger time with some training will help more than anything
2) look at full size pistols, compacts are much harder to shoot

This doesn’t really sound like a small hands issue to me as much as the fact that handguns are hard to shoot well and rifles are easy. My list of things to try would be a Glock 17 or 19 (whichever fits the hand better), a S&W 66 or 60, either with a 3” barrel and loaded with 38 Special not 357, and (worst defensive choice but definitely small in the hand) the Browning 1911 380.

Marlene nailed it- #1 is the way- that said, the Glock is a great defensive choice- but the P320 has customizable grip modules- may want to have her give one of those a try with the smaller grip module. It also has the advantage of being able to be changed (with a kit) from full sized to subcompact. Subcompact and microcompacts are going to be tougher to shoot.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The Shield EZ is larger than the standard Shield and .380, reputed to be a very soft shooter. It was designed around easy racking. I believe they even offer a ported one with fiber optic sights now.

CZ 75 Compact (the all steel one) if the trigger works for her and she's comfortable learning DA/SA and racking the slimmer slide. You can swap out the grip panels for slim ones. Lots of people recommend the CZ P01, but if carry is a secondary issue, the all steel Compact would be a nicer gun to shoot. And, if size is not an issue, the CZ SP-01 is a dream to shoot but it's a tank.

Or there's the Glock Marlene suggests or the M&P9 (2.0 version).

She doesn't need something super easy to conceal - she won't carry all the time but it would be nice if it fit in her purse at times (pretty big purse). She does have smaller hands but is strong - no problems with recoil or racking a slide. She enjoys accuracy above all else.
All good suggestions. If she's going to carry in a purse, it has to be in a holster especially with a Glock or any pistol without a manual safety or a decocker. You're in VA so you can get guns like the Glock 43x that we can't get in CA.

New pistols at gun stores are stiff, harder for anyone to retract the slide. Rent different guns at ranges to see what she likes and when she finds what she likes Marlene is right, trigger time. Practice at the range and drying firing at home with her purse, unholstering and shooting making it as real time as possible.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

shinzen wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:55 am Marlene nailed it- #1 is the way- that said, the Glock is a great defensive choice- but the P320 has customizable grip modules- may want to have her give one of those a try with the smaller grip module. It also has the advantage of being able to be changed (with a kit) from full sized to subcompact. Subcompact and microcompacts are going to be tougher to shoot.
I have the p320. It came as a Compact RX with the medium grip. I got the sub-compact conversion kit, which come with the small grip and I got a medium for it. (grip modules on sale run about $35) I also have the Carry grip in large (Compact and Carry use the same slide) and appropriate sized magazines for all 3 sizes.
Frankly, I find the SC the most difficult to shoot, and the Carry and Compact about the same--much easier. The SC isn't as small as you'd expect, not like a p365.

Just my 2 cents.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

highdesert wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:49 pm
wooglin wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:58 pm If you go the revolver route, put a Ruger SP101 on the list to look at. 32 caliber gives one more round than a 38. Ammo is not as inexpensive though.
Do you mean the 327 Federal Magnum?
https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5773.html
Yes, but with the 3” barrel.

https://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/sp ... /5784.html

featureless wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:58 am And, if size is not an issue, the CZ SP-01 is a dream to shoot but it's a tank.
She tried one out at the range and she absolutely loves it. Her eyes lit up the first time she shot it and actually hit what she was aiming at. Bought one for herself the next day. We’ve both also been practicing with the shield 9 and are getting much better with that too. But I have to admit, that CZ is really nice to shoot.

Thanks again for the tips!

blackcarbine wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:38 pm
featureless wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:58 am And, if size is not an issue, the CZ SP-01 is a dream to shoot but it's a tank.
She tried one out at the range and she absolutely loves it. Her eyes lit up the first time she shot it and actually hit what she was aiming at. Bought one for herself the next day. We’ve both also been practicing with the shield 9 and are getting much better with that too. But I have to admit, that CZ is really nice to shoot.

Thanks again for the tips!