Re: Another "am I crazy" thread: 9mm revolver

TrueTexan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:25 pm [quote=senorgrand post_id=717646 time=<a href="tel:1560037586">1560037586</a> user_id=4251]
What parts other than the cylinder do I need to order? Extractor. Extractor rod. Extractor spring. Anything else?

I really want to mostly shoot 9mm steel with a red dot on this thing. But sometimes I want to blow apart target stands with 357, so I will need two cylinders.
Just get two guns.
[/quote]

This SG. He will agonize about the details, do it the hardest way possible and the decide he doesn’t like it.

Anyone remember the Handicap Rifle?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

K9s wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:36 pm I was looking into a 9mm revolver or multi-caliber 357/9mm for cost and regulatory changes, but not SHTF. Aside from SHTF, can anyone foresee a real possibility of a semiauto pistol ban?
Depends. If SCOTUS doesn't establish a review standard and moots the NY case or if things get stupid in VA, sure. Eventually, MOMs et. al. will target "assault handguns".

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 pm Personally I cannot even imagine why anyone would want a 9MM in a revolver when you can have a .357 ir .44 mag. Because wheel guns are not historically known for .... how can I say this without being a dick,?
Historically known for being reliable? Yeah, that was part of the reason. So damn handy and reliable. And less likely to be banned than Glocks.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

If I could have gotten my lever action in 9mm, I would definitely have gotten my revolver in it as well. I tend to like the fewest calibers possible so almost everything can share ammo.
Because I couldn't get both in 9mm, I got both in .357/.38 instead so they can share ammo, at least.
My AR-10, which is what I wanted instead of an AR-15, uses .308 and that's the MAXIMUM number of calibers I'm willing to tolerate.

9mm revolvers are problematic as they either require moon-clips, are slow to load (Ruger's Blackhawk convertible) or are insanely expensive, like Chiappas, S&Ws, or the no-longer-made S&w 547.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I can see only one reason to own a 9mm revolver and that would be competing in competitions that require revolvers and speed loading.

I believe revolvers work best with a case that headspaces on the rim not the case mouth. The rimmed 9mms made by fed were for Canadian police who adopted the round but in revolvers, that ammo is now quite collectible.

K9s wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:35 pm Since the Canadian Police use it, I assume it is spelled Loonie?

Haha, prolly. I was looking at a 9mm wheel gun last year, kinda made sense since I have a few guns in that caliber but then i noticed they need moon clips. That's a no go for me.
And I'm still not certain all of them require moon clips .
For me I believe any revolver i buy should be a caliber gun, big like. 38 and above.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:43 pm
K9s wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:35 pm Since the Canadian Police use it, I assume it is spelled Loonie?

Haha, prolly. I was looking at a 9mm wheel gun last year, kinda made sense since I have a few guns in that caliber but then i noticed they need moon clips. That's a no go for me.
And I'm still not certain all of them require moon clips .
For me I believe any revolver i buy should be a caliber gun, big like. 38 and above.
The Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (.357 / 9mm) doesn't require moon clips--it cannot even use them. The S&W 547 doesn't, either --but they aren't made anymore and are expensive.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."