Re: Ruger announces a new 5.7

Not to be a party pooper but anytime someone mentions the highfalutin 5.7 round I have to say something about the impressive performance of the relatively affordable .22 TCM. Both shoot a tiny 40gr projectile at tremendous (carbine-like) speeds out of a handgun with an amusing light show as bonus.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I always wanted one of the FN guns just because. I couldn't justify the cost of it and the ammo in my mind. Maybe Ruger will come out with a 22 TCM version? It does seem like a better cartridge.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

They already have a 22 TCM conversion kit for Glocks aside from the nice and affordable RIA 1911 in that caliber (some with 9mm barrel/springs as a set).
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I got to hold one yesterday. The grip is very long (measured front to back). I have long fingers, but it felt like I couldn't get a good grip on it. I had this same feeling with the Keltec PMR 30.
When I first saw that Ruger was coming out with the 5.7 I was thrilled. I am starting to calm down a bit now. I may wait and get a used one in a couple of years.
Last edited by Hiker on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

People in CA should just go to the beach. Ski in the mountains. Who needs a gun when you live in Paradise?

The first time I heard about this Caliber, I was pretty blase about it. At the time, there were only two platforms P90 and the FN FiveseveN. The ammo was expensive and hard to find. So, now you bring this up and of coarse research had to be done. I can find the ammo comparable to .357 prices. Also, ran across a CMMG Banshee chambered in the 5.7 x 28mm. Watched a couple of reviews and now the seed has been planted.

I really hate all of you enablers! :rant:
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Ruger Fifty-Seven is the name, I guess! Five Seven is trademarked?

I just cannot convince myself to add yet another (expensive) caliber. I added .308 recently and still love the calibers I shoot. It would be cool to have a 20 round standard mag in a pistol, though.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I've owned two PS90's that I sold before I started to SBR them. Yet, last night I was reading and looking at some PS90/P90 photos and debating whether or not to continue with a 9mm system (Glock and probably a Scorpion SBR) or start the transition over to a 5.7x28 system (FiveSeven pistol and a P90 SBR).

The costs of 5.7x28 ammo has come down dramatically in the last several years.

The bad news, from my stand point, is that those pistol red dot sights that are put on most PS90 carbines really suck. That, and there aren't that many holsters available for a FiveSeven. Some individual bought up all the Blackhawk SERPA holsters for the original FiveSeven and has been selling them on eBay for a fortune.

5.7x28 has more range than 9mm. It seems to have a strange combination of penetration of hard surfaces and then it tumbles wildly when hitting a soft target. An "advisor" of mine sent me an article from a police magazine wherein they tested several rounds and absolutely gushed over tests that they ran on the 5.7x28 and its perceived strong points according to their tests; he previously had been very skeptical of the 5.7x28 round.

Decisions, decisions ...

And now we have the Ruger to throw into the mix.

Decisions, decisions ...

If I had something in 5.7x28, it wouldn't be an issue. It is a nice round, but I started out buying pistols when 5.7 was expensive.

I PMd you a contact for good, reasonably priced custom holsters - leather or kydex or hybrid.

FN is dropping prices under $1000, so they are feeling the heat.

I did enjoy Paul Harrell comparing the meat target carnage from 5.7x28 to 357 magnum.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The whole world of 5.7x28 is really murky and has evolved quite a bit since I first starting looking at those things five-six years ago.

Take a look at the Wiki article on 5.7x28 ammo and you can see that several different rounds are available and it makes a big difference in performance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7%C3%9728mm

The most common round currently are the blue tipped ammo. That's the standard civilian round.

As a Correctional Officer I can buy green tip, which adds about 300 ft/minute to the speed as I recall. But I can find several sites that will sell that to anyone that can fog a mirror, so that's not hard to obtain.

The black tipped stuff is the armor piercing stuff. It's evidently got a steel piece about like a piece of paper clip inside the bullet and is very tightly controlled by FN. I saw a box on sale at a gun show for - no joke - $500 for a box of 50. Interestingly, while it's illegal for non-law enforcement or non-military to import the stuff or manufacture the stuff it's not illegal for a civilian to own armor piercing ammo.

We used to have an Officer that claimed he had two FiveSeven pistols who told me that he had access to black tip because he was some sort of reserve Constable in some obscure county. But he was a BS artist and left the Department after <cough> brandishing a shotgun at someone repo'ing his car. I understand that he is managing a gun store in very deep South Texas now so take that little bit with a grain of salt.

But there are companies out there that make "penetrating" 5.7x28 without actually saying they are armor piercing. The one that I am thinking about has no physical address and sells mail order only. The round and the P90 machine gun were originally designed under a NATO proposal for a secondary weapon (i.e. folks that didn't need to carry a full-sized rifle) to pierce body armor. The H&K MP7 came out of the same program but H&K won't sell either a version of the MP7 nor the ammo to the public. H&K cancelled plans to build a pistol for their 4.6x30mm and I have seen some military reports that indicate that the 5.7x28 is clearly superior to 4.6x30.

I was always scared that in the event of some sort of "national emergency" that the 5.7x28 ammo supply would dry up. 9mm probably not so much. However, our local small town Texas gun dealer stocks the blue tip, so someone is buying it. And even though I sold my PS90 I kept my magazines and a fair number of boxes of ammo so who knows.

AndyH and I went shooting together and his Canik with a red dot really, really made me rethink making an accurate shot with a pistol, because my Glock, as currently equipped, really sucks. I have never shot a FiveSeven pistol but the PS90 has practically zero recoil (although the case is super hot when it is ejected!) and I have heard that the FiveSeven is very, very accurate.

So this is a very interesting thread. Making me do a little thinking here ...