Re: polytech m14/s any good?

Getting new sights sounds great, but for just a range or target rifle why not an attachment for your shooting glasses? I think you can buy a little offset suction cup with a movable diopter that is supposed to eliminate fuzzy eye sight. All the cool kids shooting in the olympics use them.

eelj wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:26 am Getting new sights sounds great, but for just a range or target rifle why not an attachment for your shooting glasses? I think you can buy a little offset suction cup with a movable diopter that is supposed to eliminate fuzzy eye sight. All the cool kids shooting in the olympics use them.
Please elaborate

eelj wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:57 pm For those who have not seen what I'm talking about this is a fairly cheap one that attaches to prescription or safety glasses. https://www.impactguns.com/Ear-and-Eye- ... 9-3112020/ I think that you can spend quite a bit on other examples but probably less than most decent scopes. Never used one myself but they have been around for many years.

Why Olympic Sharpshooters Insist On Looking Like Cyborgs
https://www.wired.com/2016/08/olympic-s ... e-cyborgs/

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:39 pm
eelj wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:57 pm For those who have not seen what I'm talking about this is a fairly cheap one that attaches to prescription or safety glasses. https://www.impactguns.com/Ear-and-Eye- ... 9-3112020/ I think that you can spend quite a bit on other examples but probably less than most decent scopes. Never used one myself but they have been around for many years.

Why Olympic Sharpshooters Insist On Looking Like Cyborgs
https://www.wired.com/2016/08/olympic-s ... e-cyborgs/
Is that the Witcher's Medallion on her left eye?
"See, chess doesn't prepare you for this. You can't say that a rook and three pawns flanked your knight but he laid down suppressing fire and punched through them anyway. You get disqualified if you try that."

lurker wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:00 am yes, i did. the pics probably got lost in the great "fix" of 2020. i'll post another later in the day.

looking at my stash of .45/70, i got to thinking: i've got plenty, and 2 .45/70 lee loaders. so i'm going to send them both, one to marlene and one to baja. enjoy. merry christmas.
there's a gun show in town this weekend, i'll look at dies for 7.62 for the press. just what i need, more stuff. i haven;t used the press in decades, been moving too much.
It’s here!
image.jpg
I’ll order up some brass, bullets, primer and powder. :)

awesome. bullets, primers and powder you'll need to buy. i usually buy a box or two of loaded ammo and make my own once-fired brass. shooting stuff is fun, i've heard. seriously, see what your manual says about case lube.
your adventure is just beginning. the powder measure is ok (volumetric equivalent) but a scale is better. and a bullet puller may come in handy and and and and,,.

these other folks have forgotten more than i'll ever know, use them gently.
Last edited by lurker on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm awesome. bullets, primers and powder you'll need to buy. i usually buy a box or two of loaded ammo and make my own once-fired brass. shooting stuff is fun, i've heard. seriously, see what your manual says about case lube.
Sounds better than an air pistol. :)
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

went to the range today, the 1911 performed superbly as usual at 7 yds, the "new" topbreak revolver sucked, and the polytech did quite well considering i'm using cheap ammo(saving the good stuff for next time) without a rest and was tired. 100 yd groups at 50 yds. i'm going to swap in better sights and call it good. after you spend a hundred or so enhancing it, the poly is a fine rifle. buy checkmate mags, avoid the thermolds which work fine, once you get them seated and locked in. thermolds are great in the AR(i have 6), not the M14s(4 of them).

finally broke down and got out the credit card, ordered up a NM .062 front sight (w/ screw) from numrich, a NM .052 rear sight aperture from sarco, and a repro garand cheekpiece from ima-usa. i saw a pic of another cheekpiece on an m14 and when i correctly identified it, the owner said it was too high to use with the irons, but a garand cheekpiece could be used with both irons and scope. what could possibly go wrong? :think:

and just because, :see_stars: i ordered a leather shoulder holster for my 1911, almost as if i need one. i had a black one, but haven't seen it for a couple of years, might have given it away.

so hopefully this stuff won't take forever to arrive :roflmao: and i can jam in a range trip next week :yahoo:

lurker wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:49 am finally broke down and got out the credit card, ordered up a NM .062 front sight (w/ screw) from numrich, a NM .052 rear sight aperture from sarco, and a repro garand cheekpiece from ima-usa. i saw a pic of another cheekpiece on an m14 and when i correctly identified it, the owner said it was too high to use with the irons, but a garand cheekpiece could be used with both irons and scope. what could possibly go wrong? :think:

and just because, :see_stars: i ordered a leather shoulder holster for my 1911, almost as if i need one. i had a black one, but haven't seen it for a couple of years, might have given it away.

so hopefully this stuff won't take forever to arrive :roflmao: and i can jam in a range trip next week :yahoo:
I have a black and a brown leather shoulder holster for my 1911s. Love 'em both and keep one upstairs and one downstairs. I used to wear them a lot because the Beretta and Taurus 92 fit, too. It hasn't been cold enough this winter to wear them much, though.

What does your new one look like?

I hope everything works well on the polytech.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt