Re: A boring topic

TheMule wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 am A mix of two parts gas and one part 20w50 oil. I use this and for quick jobs, CLP.

No issues in 14 years.
The fumes would be a problem in the winter (inside an enclosed room/area) for me.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Does everyone use a separate solvent and lubricant? I just started shooting and am using CLP because that's what the gun shop recommended. I use it for everything. Clean with it, wipe down, then lube with it as well.

Is there an advantage to having dedicated products?

brownbob06 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:25 pm Does everyone use a separate solvent and lubricant? I just started shooting and am using CLP because that's what the gun shop recommended. I use it for everything. Clean with it, wipe down, then lube with it as well.

What ammo are you shooting out of what?

I just do it that way because I started using solvent for my milsurps. I shot surplus commie ammo for decades because it was cheap (and it was corrosive). I am no expert, but I also worried about fouling from the bullets themselves.

You should be fine with CLP depending on the ammo you shoot and the type of projectile. Others may disagree.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I don't really think there's a "bad" product or set of products to clean bores. With me, I learned a way and found no need to change. Younger shooters will want to try many things, like we old farts did, and they'll get their recipe. We just had fewer products to choose from. Nowadays, better living through chemistry, as it were.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

9mm luger fiocchi in a Canik TP9sfx. I've only shot it once (just got it) so I don't have a long lime in it to see if there are any negatives personally. I grew up in the country so my shooting experience is with shotguns and 22s while hunting and honestly my dad did all the cleaning as they were his guns and tbh I don't think there was a ton of cleaning being done to the guns.

brownbob06 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:54 pm 9mm luger fiocchi in a Canik TP9sfx. I've only shot it once (just got it) so I don't have a long lime in it to see if there are any negatives personally. I grew up in the country so my shooting experience is with shotguns and 22s while hunting and honestly my dad did all the cleaning as they were his guns and tbh I don't think there was a ton of cleaning being done to the guns.
I grew up with hunting and firearms. The parents and grandparents were very careful about cleaning. It was mostly because that rifle was the only they had, but also because they were "trained" to clean well in the military. In WW2, they couldn't just turn them into the armory at the end of the day.

I use grease on 1911s and some rifles while many don't do that.

You should be fine with CLP and that ammo. You'll have plenty of time to decide in the future. If I had just one 9mm handgun, I would probably just use CLP, too. For me, letting the bore cleaner sit while I clean the rest of the firearm works for me. I have no real data to prove or disprove the necessity.

Remember that many YouTube videos are sponsored when they tell you to use X products.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Most of my guns clean up nicely & easily. A run or two with a bore snake & oil, and they are good to go. The outers get a silicone rag.

My Dads' old Enfield No.1 MkIII just gets copper fouled every time out, even with a superb, mirror bore. No. 9 is what it wants, so that is what it gets. I still have the big glass bottle I bought back in '78. A little goes a long way...

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

brownbob06 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:25 pm Does everyone use a separate solvent and lubricant? I just started shooting and am using CLP because that's what the gun shop recommended. I use it for everything. Clean with it, wipe down, then lube with it as well.

You're absolutely fine going with CLP. Never heard a bad word about it.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

I would just use CLP on that Canik if it was mine.

When I bought my first handguns, I only used Rem Oil. I don't know if CLP was even available in my area back then. The internet didn't really exist in its current form, so I never heard about it until someone showed civilian-available CLP to me.

Bore cleaner is great for old military surplus ammo and guns.

https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/clp/
According to the US military and their testing, CLP works well enough to keep their weapons maintained and operating in the field across a number of different conditions. To meet their standards, it can't dry out or stiffen in the heat, can't let in much dust or sand, nor can it give in to humidity, high pressure nor saltwater immersion.

It must also work in temperatures as low as - 65 degrees F to well over 130 degrees F.

As far as the typical civilian is probably concerned? Yeah, it'll work!
Older firearms such as M1 Garand rifles require actual grease to operate correctly; CLP would not get the job done.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Hoppe's #9 bore solvent throughout the gun! In 50+ years of use, I've never had a problem with it. Hoppe's used to make a far more aggressive solvent, marketed as "SemiAuto" in a blue bottle label. Phenomenal cleaning product. (A brief smell could probably cure any sinus congestion.) Unfortunately, it was discontinued apparently due to shipping hazards.
Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor | NRA Certified Pistol & CCW Instructor | Firearms Legal Consultant & Expert Witness | Illinois Licensed Private Security Officer

lurker wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 am
TheMule wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 am A mix of two parts gas and one part 20w50 oil. I use this and for quick jobs, CLP.

No issues in 14 years.
:welcome: TheMule, that's from arthur c clarke? intro thread would be nice.
You're almost there...it's from Asimov. May be Arthur C. Clarke, not sure but my inspiration came from Asimov. I did write up an intro :yahoo:

TheMule wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:58 am
lurker wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 am

No issues in 14 years.
:welcome: TheMule, that's from arthur c clarke? intro thread would be nice.
You're almost there...it's from Asimov. May be Arthur C. Clarke, not sure but my inspiration came from Asimov. I did write up an intro :yahoo:
saw that, thanks! azimov, clarke, it's been a long time since i read any scifi. re CLP, i don't recall any mention of it before it was issue with the m16.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?