Re: Michael Bloomberg 2020

K9s wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:23 pm
Personally, I think Bloomberg is less likely to round us all up and put us in camps. Pence, Barr, DeVos, etc make Bloomberg look better than Trump to me.
See, this here is my point. I will not vote for someone who is less likely to round us all (or some) up and put them in camps (jails). Less likely doesn't cut it. Dems, the less likely party.

It is not viable. It is abhorrent. It's like being given the choice to vote for Putin with a R or the kinder, gentler Putin with a D next to the box. FUCK THAT. :lol:

The only thing that could absolutely guarantee the long-term electability of our current style of fascism, would be to add substance to its faux-populist message by further branding the party Americans think of as left with Republican economic policies that hurt the people at the bottom, who voted for Trump because he was the only candidate in the general who acknowledged their shitty situation. Letting Bloomberg be a dem represses dem turnout AND reinforces both the gun issue and the (completely wrong, but whatever) class appeal to angry broke white people that the Rs have going for them. It's literally what keeps loosing for dems.

featureless wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:06 pm
K9s wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:23 pm
Personally, I think Bloomberg is less likely to round us all up and put us in camps. Pence, Barr, DeVos, etc make Bloomberg look better than Trump to me.
See, this here is my point. I will not vote for someone who is less likely to round us all (or some) up and put them in camps (jails). Less likely doesn't cut it. Dems, the less likely party.

It is not viable. It is abhorrent. It's like being given the choice to vote for Putin with a R or the kinder, gentler Putin with a D next to the box. FUCK THAT. :lol:
This is where I’m at now: Anyone But Bloomberg!
I won’t vote for either racist billionaire.

Marlene wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:11 pm The only thing that could absolutely guarantee the long-term electability of our current style of fascism, would be to add substance to its faux-populist message by further branding the party Americans think of as left with Republican economic policies that hurt the people at the bottom, who voted for Trump because he was the only candidate in the general who acknowledged their shitty situation. Letting Bloomberg be a dem represses dem turnout AND reinforces both the gun issue and the (completely wrong, but whatever) class appeal to angry broke white people that the Rs have going for them. It's literally what keeps loosing for dems.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Y'all remember that Eisenhower campaign poster that's way left of current Dems? FDR didn't move the Republicans that far left by moving closer to them. You don't un-do a rightward shift by moving right. It doesn't work that way. Never has. Never will.

shock...apparently Bloomberg said the end of redlining is what caused the housing crash

bloomberg sees guns and minorities in the same light...they are problems to be solved and nothing more

The more I learn about Bloomberg, the more I don't think he will ever get the nomination. The winds are blowing left. It just won't happen.

Honestly, he isn't much worse than most southern democratic party endorsed candidates. He wouldn't do well in a lot of blue states, but he doesn't stand out in a lot of red states. Look at Joe Manchin and other "moderate" Dems, for example. The GOP alternatives here are like Trump but smarter and more vicious (e.g. Doug Collins). My vote is just to keep the Klukkers out of office if possible.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Marlene wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:11 pm The only thing that could absolutely guarantee the long-term electability of our current style of fascism, would be to add substance to its faux-populist message by further branding the party Americans think of as left with Republican economic policies that hurt the people at the bottom, who voted for Trump because he was the only candidate in the general who acknowledged their shitty situation. Letting Bloomberg be a dem represses dem turnout AND reinforces both the gun issue and the (completely wrong, but whatever) class appeal to angry broke white people that the Rs have going for them. It's literally what keeps loosing for dems.
Fucking nailed it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I just heard about the anti-Saunders attack ad that Emily's List (a pro-abortion lobbying group) apparently balked at running after the transcript was leaked. When trying to look up a little more about that, I ran across a comment on another site that attributed their motive to having received $2.5 million from Bloomberg. (I didn't attempt to verify that donation.)

I wonder how many other groups will be carrying his water in return for cash? This should be fun.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:07 pm I just heard about the anti-Saunders attack ad that Emily's List (a pro-abortion lobbying group) apparently balked at running after the transcript was leaked. When trying to look up a little more about that, I ran across a comment on another site that attributed their motive to having received $2.5 million from Bloomberg. (I didn't attempt to verify that donation.)

I wonder how many other groups will be carrying his water in return for cash? This should be fun.
He is pulling in every favor from everyone who took money from him in the past. Very "big city" of him to play all these politicians. I don't think it is a good idea to do that, though. He went from looking like a philanthropic liberal to looking like a gangster. He should probably tone it down a bit.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 pm you cant buy friends, but you can buy endorsements...
You can also influence the platform of an entire political party.

Bloomberg isn't in it to win, he's in it to affect changes. Changes that will happen benefit his bottom line through Anti-gun donations.

He personally made gun control a Democratic requirement to run as a candidate. That has real and lasting consequences. It used to be that Democrats wouldn't touch the subject with a 10 foot stick, now every single D running HAS to. That's Bloomberg's doing. That's why the Dems are in real trouble for 2020. It's unconscionable, but it's where we're at.

i've been thinking about this some. we've seen some dissention here because mr bloomberg is being promoted among democrats as mainstream liberal, not just because of his anti-gun stance but because of a general tendency to be a racist control freak. and all of that seems to be a valid concern. but watching where he spends his time and money, i don't think he really wants to be president. i think he wants to use his resources to get el puerco (no offense to actual pigs intended, bacon is yummy) out, and yes, to influence democratic party policy stances, but i think he's decided he can accomplish more of his goals with less of the scrutiny and downsides from behind the scenes. much of that involves buying influence, and he knows that out of all of the serious contenders, sanders cannot be bought, and will have to be worked around. and that's ok with him. what do y'all think?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:06 am i've been thinking about this some. we've seen some dissention here because mr bloomberg is being promoted among democrats as mainstream liberal, not just because of his anti-gun stance but because of a general tendency to be a racist control freak. and all of that seems to be a valid concern. but watching where he spends his time and money, i don't think he really wants to be president. i think he wants to use his resources to get el puerco (no offense to actual pigs intended, bacon is yummy) out, and yes, to influence democratic party policy stances, but i think he's decided he can accomplish more of his goals with less of the scrutiny and downsides from behind the scenes. much of that involves buying influence, and he knows that out of all of the serious contenders, sanders cannot be bought, and will have to be worked around. and that's ok with him. what do y'all think?
I think your thinking is sound, FWIW.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

lurker wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:06 am i've been thinking about this some. we've seen some dissention here because mr bloomberg is being promoted among democrats as mainstream liberal, not just because of his anti-gun stance but because of a general tendency to be a racist control freak. and all of that seems to be a valid concern. but watching where he spends his time and money, i don't think he really wants to be president. i think he wants to use his resources to get el puerco (no offense to actual pigs intended, bacon is yummy) out, and yes, to influence democratic party policy stances, but i think he's decided he can accomplish more of his goals with less of the scrutiny and downsides from behind the scenes. much of that involves buying influence, and he knows that out of all of the serious contenders, sanders cannot be bought, and will have to be worked around. and that's ok with him. what do y'all think?
Agree

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:25 pm Trump supposedly wasn't really running for president either and that worked out well...
Yeah, we can only guess and vote (and donate and volunteer). I am eager to see how the 3/3 states deal with all this. Will California falls for it?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I'm not sure. I think in California, primaries (especially March primaries) are dominated by "true believers" and not casual "hangers-on." I think the true believers are Bernie's and Bloomberg's numbers are mostly ignorant democrats. But I could be wrong...

senorgrand wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:49 pm I'm not sure. I think in California, primaries (especially March primaries) are dominated by "true believers" and not casual "hangers-on." I think the true believers are Bernie's and Bloomberg's numbers are mostly ignorant democrats. But I could be wrong...
Bloomberg might be high in a lot of state polls, but probably not big with primary voters. I agree. He won't last.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

there was a bloomberg ad on during college basketball. it was 24 seconds of narration and 6 seconds of bloomberg saying something stupid. my daughter said "he sounds like the 'inconceivable' guy from princess bride."

senorgrand wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:24 am there was a bloomberg ad on during college basketball. it was 24 seconds of narration and 6 seconds of bloomberg saying something stupid. my daughter said "he sounds like the 'inconceivable' guy from princess bride."
Am I the only person on Earth who hasn't seen that movie?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

i think the last movie i saw was "saving private ryan". so no, you're not the only one. at some point i just concluded that popular culture was 95% pap. tv, music, film, all of it, intended to sway us or get us to spend our money on useless things.

K9s wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:59 am]

lurker wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:38 am i think the last movie i saw was "saving private ryan". so no, you're not the only one.
Lordy. I might have to find a new board.

wooglin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:56 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:59 am]

lurker wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:38 am i think the last movie i saw was "saving private ryan". so no, you're not the only one.
Lordy. I might have to find a new board.
:roflmao:

The other ones are much worse. You'll return.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:00 pm
wooglin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:56 pm Lordy. I might have to find a new board.
:roflmao:
The other ones are much worse. You'll return.
i've had that same thought (find a new board) and reached the same conclusion (others are worse). i'm not liberal enough for here, but i'm certainly WAY too liberal to go back to bARF15. besides, i believe in what i think LGC's mission is. so y'all are stuck with me. :sorry: