Re: polytech m14/s any good?

K9s wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:10 am What does your new one look like?
sorta like this. https://www.ima-usa.com/products/u-s-ww ... er-holster
i have reservations about shoulder holsters because i suspect you have to muzzle-sweep anyone on your weak side to get out the gun.
the old one was different, black with a buckled chest strap and no belt loop. vietnam era i believe.

poly is good enough but i'm hoping to improve the sights.
Last edited by lurker on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:26 am
K9s wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:10 am What does your new one look like?
sorta like this. https://www.ima-usa.com/products/u-s-ww ... er-holster
i have reservations about shoulder holsters because you i suspect have to muzzle-sweep anyone on your weak side to get out the gun.
the old one was different, black with a buckled chest strap and no belt loop. vietnam era i believe.

poly is good enough but i'm hoping to improve the sights.
If I had to draw from one of those holsters, no one else would be around to sweep except a threat. They aren't for quickdraw. :)
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

lurker wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:05 pm numrich has shipped the front sight! well, not exactly.
they have printed a shipping label and generated a tracking #. the package awaits USPS pickup.
Patience, grasshopper.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:23 pm Patience, grasshopper.
F that chit. they have my money, i want my stuff. grumpy? me?
Ima sent me an email offering to sell me more stuff. but my order hasn't shipped. so no, not ordering more.
eta: IMA must have been watching this thread, cheekpiece and holster have allegedly shipped. now, sarco, which we know is slooooow.

sarco has shipped! well, ok, they have a labelled package ready for the PO to pick up. but there's a tracking #! :clap:
only 3 days to locate the sight aperture, stuff it in a padded envelope and print a sticky label. they're getting better. maybe. some. so this stuff should all arrive tomorrow (numrich) or monday (ima) or mid-next-week (sarco) and then a range trip weather permitting. i'm so ready. :wall:

lurker wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:15 pm sarco has shipped! well, ok, they have a labelled package ready for the PO to pick up. but there's a tracking #! :clap:
only 3 days to locate the sight aperture, stuff it in a padded envelope and print a sticky label. they're getting better. maybe. some. so this stuff should all arrive tomorrow (numrich) or monday (ima) or mid-next-week (sarco) and then a range trip weather permitting. i'm so ready. :wall:
:yahoo:

Numrich and Sarco have some good stuff you can't find elsewhere (esp. Numrich), so the wait can be worth it.

I had one issue with a Sarco order one time and they quickly resolved it with a replacement. Numrich has always been great.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

these arrived this a.m., garand cheekpad, shoulder holster, NM front sight. expecting rear aperture mon. or tues. all look like decent quality stuff. leather is very stiff, i'm open to suggestion on how to soften it.
IMG_0392.jpg
may try to jam in a range trip next week, weather forecast for thursday looks gorgeous, clear and mid-60s.

here are the two front sights, the new NM and the stock polytech, you can see the difference. will require some fitting. looks like i'm going to have to adjust the elevation a bit, but that was going to happen anyway when i swap out the rear aperture.
LUGO1772.JPG

lurker wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:58 pm thanks, i think i've seen some lexol around the house. somewhere.
eta: can't find the lexol, would saddle soap work as well?
I think you have the same holster I have. Very stiff. Now you understand why I wore it so much - to break it in. It was very affordable for an all-leather shoulder holster ($30) but it took a while to soften. If you don't wear it over body armor or a coat and you carry a heavy pistol, you might want to use a "guitar strap pad" for all day wear. The gel pad makes it easy to carry all day long.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

swapped in the NM rear aperture, which requires partial dis-assembly of the rear sight. "they" said "some fitting required". they lied.
took about 2 minutes once i remembered that the windage knob comes off first, then the elevation pinion.
front sight needed a little filing, but not bad, took longer to find the proper hex wrench.

it's sort of interesting to compare what i think are differing manufacturing standards between the older m14-types and the AR-15 platforms. and then when we get to the AR-10 design i suspect the manufacturing standards are very good but there's no mil-spec to conform to.

took poly to the range yesterday. for some reason i ALWAYS get lost on the way there or back, take a wrong turn, then have to figure out how to get where i need to be. this trip was no different except every time i'd take a wrong turn i'd say to myself "this doesn't look right" and turn around. i'm getting better, maybe another year or two...

having swapped both front and rear sights, i had to start over on sighting in. i've currently got a nice little group around the bull's eye at 50 yards, got tired, will take it out to 100 next time. since i took the rear sight apart entirely, that was a bit fiddly getting it to adjust properly; the garand-style sight is fussy like that, designed to be set once then left alone.

also took the model 1873 trapdoor single-shot. this is the gun that custer's men would have had, except in the carbine. the sights are awful, it being a struggle to even see the tiny rear notch. at 100 yards it's still easily 6" high, which is still minute-of-man, but the later sights on the krag and 1917 and likely the '03 (don't own one) are much, much better. frustrating as it is, i should probably take it out again and figure it out. this was metallic cartridge, but still black powder back in the day.

up at the pistol bench, the 1911 was predictably, even monotonously good. i suppose that means i've gotten good with it, 8 of 8 from 7 yards, rapid fire. either hand. anything further is questionable self-defense, anything closer and the target gets bigger and bigger... i think next i need to try snap-shots, unaimed at waist or chest-level. new challenges.

got home completely exhausted after 3 hours at the benches and an hour drive each way. life is good. need to buy more ammo, or get my reloading bench operational. slept the rest of the afternoon.

oh, yeah, and the leather cheek-piece? i hardly noticed it was on the rifle. it's been on there for about a week, maybe this weekend i'll pull it off, soap it up, and let it take a closer set again. i think it's going to work.

i think this rifle is almost done, and it's been worth the trouble/learning experience.

Yeah, this is strange.

I assume the ranges will be crowded when they open. I will wait a week or two or four after they open to go shooting. I am still a little nervous.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt