Re: FN FAL - Coolest "wrong" rifle ever

bajajoaquin wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:39 pm I’m not saying I would leave California just for an FAL, but If I ever leave, that will be the first gun purchase.
I'm just outside of Carson City...You ever want to shoot a FAL or anything else that's not CA Kosher; just send me a PM and we'll go have some fun.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

SubRosa wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:23 pm PS...the para FAL isn't materially longer than your basic folder AK.

SR
The Para FAL is just super cool. And while it is a much more compact size, it is still heavy and uses heavy magazines and ammunition. There are very few instances where it has advantages over smaller, lighter weapons. That's the problem with 7.62 NATO weapons. They are FANTASTIC special purpose weapons, just not the greatest choice for a general issue, one size fit's all kind of rifle.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Belgian in origin by FN, ca. 1954. Made under license in many countries, used by over 70.

Two distinct types, inch (Commonwealth) and metric (the rest).

Variants include the paratrooper, rifle, and heavy barrel.

Complete gun manufacture discontinued worldwide, save for DS Arms in the US.

Quite a few are assembled annually by enthusiasts using modern receivers from different (some now defunct) manufacturers.

Excellent ergonomics, and when one is dialed in, very reliable.

S u b R o s a
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

Depends on who made the barrel.

Original military 7.62N. FN imports were .308, the rest; who cares.

In over 40 years of shooting them, they just don't care about it either.

I know, many overthink this but to me is just doesn't matter.

Reloading is where some make a big deal out of it. I don't reload.

The only truth is no steel case stuff. Too many documented kabooms, sorry Wolf & Tula.

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:52 am Is it actually .308 or NATO 7.62x51?
My FAL and SCAR 17S are marked 7.62X51 so that's what I feed them. I've been told .308 is not a problem.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

lurker wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:54 pm :wall: in theory the .308 has thinner walls and can be loaded hotter. in theory the exterior case dimensions are the same. in theory they headspace differently. :wtf: maybe someone who actually knows will come along and clarify.
My AR-10 shoots both very nicely--except Tula shit!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I'm with SubRosa on this. The same 168 gr .308 I use in my Steyr Scout Jeff Cooper Package is recommended as the most consistently accurate OTC load for my FN SCAR 17S... I'd shot .308 factory loads all day in an FAL or SCAR. I used .308 and 7.62X51 interchangeably in my HK91 for thousands of rounds.
PS: HK G3/HK91 are totally different from the FN FAL, but both eat .308 or 7.62X51 happily :)
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

Tedzilla wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 am I'm with SubRosa on this. The same 168 gr .308 I use in my Steyr Scout Jeff Cooper Package is recommended as the most consistently accurate OTC load for my FN SCAR 17S... I'd shot .308 factory loads all day in an FAL or SCAR. I used .308 and 7.62X51 interchangeably in my HK 91 for thousands of rounds.
I guess my point is: I've read that .308 is the "master round" and if your rifle can shoot .308, it can shoot 7.62x51 NATO, but not necessarily the other way 'round.
And, in the AR-15, 5.56x45 NATO is the "master round". If it can shoot the 5.56, it can shoot .223, but not necessarily the other way 'round.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:17 am
Tedzilla wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 am I'm with SubRosa on this. The same 168 gr .308 I use in my Steyr Scout Jeff Cooper Package is recommended as the most consistently accurate OTC load for my FN SCAR 17S... I'd shot .308 factory loads all day in an FAL or SCAR. I used .308 and 7.62X51 interchangeably in my HK 91 for thousands of rounds.
I guess my point is: I've read that .308 is the "master round" and if your rifle can shoot .308, it can shoot 7.62x51 NATO, but not necessarily the other way 'round.
And, in the AR-15, 5.56x45 NATO is the "master round". If it can shoot the 5.56, it can shoot .223, but not necessarily the other way 'round.
The specs on headspace are a little different but have significant overlap. Most manufacturers set their factory loads to the lower end such that they work in both chambers.