Illinois mayor issues EO that allows her to ban sale of firearms, ammo

Executive order in Champaign could include banning sale of firearms, ammunition and alcohol
Included in the executive order are ordinances that would give the city extraordinary powers to the Mayor.
  • Violating parts of the Open Meetings Act
  • Ban sale of firearms and ammunition
  • Ban sale of any alcohol
  • Closing of all bars, taverns, liquor stores, etc
  • Ban sale or giving away of gasoline or other liquid flammable or combustible products in any container other than a gasoline tank permanently fixed to a motor vehicle
  • Direct the shutoff of power, water, gas, etc
  • Take possession of private property and obtain full title to same
  • Prohibit or restrict ingress and egress to and from the City
"The executive order allows the city to be flexible to properly respond to the emergency needs of our community. None of the options will necessarily will be implemented but are available in order to protect the welfare and safety of our community if needed," Jeff Hamilton the City of Champaign's Communications Manger told WAND-TV.

Re: Illinois mayor issues EO that allows her to ban sale of firearms, ammo

We'll ignore the rest of the shit for now and focus on:

"Take possession of private property and obtain full title to same"

What?!? Like everything and anything I own? Good luck with that Local/State/Federal Government Civil Servants.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

Tedzilla wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:09 am We'll ignore the rest of the shit for now and focus on:

"Take possession of private property and obtain full title to same"

What?!? Like everything and anything I own? Good luck with that Local/State/Federal Government Civil Servants.
Champaign has had this option in place for 15 years, so this is part of the post-9/11 power grab.
Champaign leaders released a statement Friday evening in response to several false claims circulating online. They reiterated there is currently no firearm ban and no intent to seize property and close businesses.

Champaign and Urbana, IL, two college towns that are home of the main campus of the University of Illinois system.
They reiterated there is currently no firearm ban and no intent to seize property and close businesses.
Some city charters are old and haven't been tested in court, don't know how old Champaign's is.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

New Orleans mayor authorizes ability to ban gun sales during coronavirus emergency if city desires
The city of New Orleans, La. issued an emergency declaration over the coronavirus that gives the city the emergency authority to limit or ban outright the sale or transportation of firearms, explosives or combustibles during the emergency period.

Democratic New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell added a proclamation to the emergency declaration on Monday that allows for limits on the sale and transportation of firearms and other items deemed a potential safety threat within her jurisdiction.

“The emergency authority is hereby empowered, if necessary, to suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transporting of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives and combustibles,” the proclamation reads.
Accurate title. "...authority to limit or ban...," meaning not a ban but rather a potential to ban. The infowars crowd keeps getting it wrong. Regardless, this is not a positive development.

kronkmusic wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:57 am
lurker wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:52 am defintely messed up. unconstitutional on several counts IMO.
Most definitely unconstitutional on several counts. I expect the city to get sued by the ACLU in real short order.
I wish. My impression is that the ACLU has really lost any interest in 2A. I'm not a great student of that issue, so if there's evidence to the contrary, please point me to it!
:beer2:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.