Silencer Shop eForm 1 service online

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/9wvfi3/
We are currently transmitting the backlog. There's about 500 left, transmitting at a rate of one every few minutes or so. That is as fast as eForms will allow, using multiple simultaneous users.

This is going to be broadcast in the newsletter, etc., tomorrow morning, so we will probably be slammed with orders after about 9:30 AM Central. If you are thinking about submitting soon, or if you were waiting for this announcement, I would do it now before everyone knows about it, as we anticipate thousands of submissions in the coming days. Sorry for the short notice.

If you've used our Form 1 service before, there is no change to your process except that the ATF now requires your Social Security Number.

Re: Silencer Shop eForm 1 service online

Hopefully Silence Shop got this worked out. Laws are being made faster than ordinary people can comply with them and the last thing we want is not to comply...
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

So any guesses on how the current C-19 inconvenience/end of the world is going to affect NFA wait times? I'm currently waiting on a muffler to save what's left of my hearing in the event I ever have to use a firearm without hearing protection and I'm hoping I don't die of old age before I get it.

I'm nearing the 1 month point on a Form 1 I filed, thats been about the normal turnaround. A quick glance at the Form 1 board I sometimes use as a reference looks like the 30 day turnaround on e-forms is still the norm. There are some rumblings that Form 4s (transfers, there are no e-file as yet for those) are actually starting to come through from Dec. to Jan. of last year. Thats a really strange fast turn around, maybe someone got on the ATF folks to actually do some paper based paperwork.

offensivename wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 am I'm nearing the 1 month point on a Form 1 I filed, thats been about the normal turnaround. A quick glance at the Form 1 board I sometimes use as a reference looks like the 30 day turnaround on e-forms is still the norm. There are some rumblings that Form 4s (transfers, there are no e-file as yet for those) are actually starting to come through from Dec. to Jan. of last year. Thats a really strange fast turn around, maybe someone got on the ATF folks to actually do some paper based paperwork.
" actually starting to come through from Dec. to Jan. of last year."... be still my beating heart! I've E-filed and am hearing 8-15 months wait for ATF approval. I have a paid receipt with serial # for the muffler and the tax stamp is paid as well, hopefully this will come through sooner than later!

offensivename wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 am I'm nearing the 1 month point on a Form 1 I filed, thats been about the normal turnaround. A quick glance at the Form 1 board I sometimes use as a reference looks like the 30 day turnaround on e-forms is still the norm. There are some rumblings that Form 4s (transfers, there are no e-file as yet for those) are actually starting to come through from Dec. to Jan. of last year. Thats a really strange fast turn around, maybe someone got on the ATF folks to actually do some paper based paperwork.
I've got a form 4 in process and I hope during this C-19 mess the ATF has nothing better to do than stay at their desks working on my application... that's how it works right? :roll:

I got an email from SilencerShop letting me know the application was received by the ATF and the payment for the tax stamp was cashed yesterday. It's taken 3 weeks to get this far. They included this sage advice:

"For many people, the best way to pass the time waiting for their approval is to just forget about it, but we realize that can be hard.

If you do decide to check with the NFA branch for the status of your transfer, you can contact them using the instructions on this page in a few weeks."

Anyone hear any first hand accounts of how long Form 4s are taking?

Tedzilla wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:04 pm I got an email from SilencerShop letting me know the application was received by the ATF and the payment for the tax stamp was cashed yesterday. It's taken 3 weeks to get this far. They included this sage advice:

"For many people, the best way to pass the time waiting for their approval is to just forget about it, but we realize that can be hard.

If you do decide to check with the NFA branch for the status of your transfer, you can contact them using the instructions on this page in a few weeks."

Anyone hear any first hand accounts of how long Form 4s are taking?
I couldn't stand it any longer and called ATF's NAF office. My Muffler has been sitting in my FFL's safe since March. My Federal Tax Stamp check was cashed in March. The helpful civil servant that answered the call checked my name, seller's name, FFL's name, Silencer's serial number and told me the application is being reviewed. I asked how long that is currently taking and was told 6 months. I repressed the urge to show off my big math skills and possible seem insensitive. I thanked him profusely and asked when I should call back, I was told "a couple of months".

Groundhog Day update: The ATF says my application, submitted last March, is being reviewed. The estimated wait time has been revised from 6 months to "7 to 10 months" according to today's voice on the phone.
I understand there were 4.3 million background checks done by the FBI in January '21 so I guess they're not doing the applications in the order received...

Day 334... I'm really concerned our Fearless Leader is going to bring his account current with Bloomberg by an Executive Order banning fully semi-automatic weapons of war, high velocity clips and the devilish assassin's tool: the bloody silencer...
I called SilencerCo to ask what their refund policy would be if a ban comes to pass. Their customer service guy waltzed around and mumbled about me checking with the FFL who has the silencer and that there would be fees for restocking and so on. They were paid almost a year ago and it will be interesting how they handle an avalanche of incomplete deals.

It’s unlikely that that kind of bill would pass rather than a requirement to register items already owned. Remember also that the constitution requires just compensation for “takings,” so even if the gov’t took your semi autos and silencer (that you paid for yet don’t possess yet), you would be entitled to compensation.

I’m wondering how much the communication w local LE is the stage causing the delay. Over on another forum I just read about someone who had like a two week turnaround on a silencer purchased in Aug 2020.

There is no communication with local law enforcement. You send them in part of the Form, if they have an objection they have to take it up with the ATF, they no longer have to send in approval. The delay is only with paper applications. E-filed Form 1s are still only a 1 month wait. Most likely the workers at ATF have been told to prioritize the electronic filings and only do so many paper filings a day.

eFile for Form 4 items such as silencers hasn't been an option for a long while.

ATF EForms Status

As of April, 2014 the ATF has not been accepting new Form 4 submissions via eForms.

All Form 4 transfers will be submitted via paper until eForms is updated. There is currently no information regarding if/when that may happen.

https://www.nfatracker.com/
Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 7.12.51 PM.png

It seems like all this could be circumvented/changed if the government would just decide what it wants from it. If it’s about keeping a tax revenue stream coming the just require FFLs to charge the tax at time of transfer as a prerequisite along with the NICS background check. It can’t reasonably be about public safety at this point (for suppressors and SBRs). If it’s about information then collect the information during transfers. Think about how fast the IRS turns around a rebate compared to this. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Northern wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:04 pm It seems like all this could be circumvented/changed if the government would just decide what it wants from it. If it’s about keeping a tax revenue stream coming the just require FFLs to charge the tax at time of transfer as a prerequisite along with the NICS background check. It can’t reasonably be about public safety at this point (for suppressors and SBRs). If it’s about information then collect the information during transfers. Think about how fast the IRS turns around a rebate compared to this. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Its about not wanting to fund the NFA branch of the ATF. The Dems don't want to do it because they don't actually care if NFA forms are processed at all, the republicans don't want to give money to anybody and its in their best interest to have their base angry at the government. I've gotten the same reviewer on two of my Form 1s, I doubt they have more than a half dozen to a dozen folks doing all the processing.