Re: Coronavirus Prepping

kronkmusic wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:05 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:35 am
kronkmusic wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:19 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 am In that vein...Famous.Last.Words:
"Hey, it's OK. I'm from New York!"
Oh god don't get me started on New Yorkers...
Maybe if NY would repeal the "Mandatory Retirement in Florida" law, you wouldn't feel that way?

Canadians in Florida... are another matter.
They both have their issues. Canadians don't tip for shit, and New Yorkers tend to bring the attitude that everything in Florida is innately inferior to everything in NY, yet they choose to live here anyway, but by extension we are innately inferior to them. If I have to hear one more time about how NY has the BEST shawarma or curry or Korean tacos or whatever...
I feel for you, they bring their money and attitude. I remember a few decades back in Spain, the Germans were the New Yorkers, they spoke fluent Spanish but were condescending to Spanish waiters and hotel staff. They were the industrial juggernaut of Europe and Spain was the poorman. I don't know if Californians have that same reputation with people in surrounding states, suspect we do.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:43 pm
kronkmusic wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:05 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:35 am
kronkmusic wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:19 am

Oh god don't get me started on New Yorkers...
Maybe if NY would repeal the "Mandatory Retirement in Florida" law, you wouldn't feel that way?

Canadians in Florida... are another matter.
They both have their issues. Canadians don't tip for shit, and New Yorkers tend to bring the attitude that everything in Florida is innately inferior to everything in NY, yet they choose to live here anyway, but by extension we are innately inferior to them. If I have to hear one more time about how NY has the BEST shawarma or curry or Korean tacos or whatever...
I feel for you, they bring their money and attitude. I remember a few decades back in Spain, the Germans were the New Yorkers, they spoke fluent Spanish but were condescending to Spanish waiters and hotel staff. They were the industrial juggernaut of Europe and Spain was the poorman. I don't know if Californians have that same reputation with people in surrounding states, suspect we do.
Some New Yorkers here complain about everything in Atlanta. I tell them to go back if it is so bad.

Californians are generally naïve and (often) clueless, but not condescending, here. The Angelinos just assume that everyone is materialistic like they are. It is pretty easy to pick them out. Most Californians I know here have learned to keep their mouths shut.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

As I wrote above, one man in my town tested positive. So I took a bicycle ride through the downtown area near the campus of Chico State. Campus is pretty deserted. Sunday usually has lots of foot traffic there. In the city part that abuts campus, FEMA already has one trailer set up, obviously for screening, with one door in, a long hallway, and one door out. Fenced off now. As you all may recall, November 8, 2018 saw the Camp Fire up here, and FEMA is still here. They moved existing resources. But they're here.

Make sure y'all get aerobic exercise. Strength is easy indoors. Stay safe.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

senorgrand wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:52 pm water management is skilled and specified labor. if they come down with the virus, they could shut down. plus, I live in earthquake land, so I should have done this years ago.

Oh, that means it will need a strap...
Or multiple smaller containers. If one breaks, you don’t lose all your water. Also, you can move something smaller by hand. I have 9, 7-gallon jugs. Still small enough to lift and move but the larger volume gives a lower cost per gallon.

Reliance Aqua-Tainer. Might be discontinued now but I saw them available here and there.

bajajoaquin wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:21 pm
senorgrand wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:52 pm water management is skilled and specified labor. if they come down with the virus, they could shut down. plus, I live in earthquake land, so I should have done this years ago.

Or multiple smaller containers. If one breaks, you don’t lose all your water. Also, you can move something smaller by hand. I have 9, 7-gallon jugs. Still small enough to lift and move but the larger volume gives a lower cost per gallon.

Reliance Aqua-Tainer. Might be discontinued now but I saw them available here and there.
I don't know if you want anything this big but you might try your local Craigslist. 250 gallon food grade totes are sold by people all the time
in Portland they sit in a heavy wire cage cube.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

bajajoaquin wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:21 pm

This.

senorgrand wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:27 pm Some places have them for $18...but they aren't in stock.
If I didn't have any, I'd sell them even cheaper.;)
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

There are also stackable 5 gal containers available. As the size gets smaller the cost per gallon goes up. But they have the advantages of being the smaller size.

Remember that you need an opaque container. Keep algae at bay. A tote is a good idea (I’ve been considering for rainwater harvesting), but you need to paint it or otherwise cover it for light.

Went out this morning looking for kleenex, allergy season for me even with antihistamines. Stood in line with other seniors laughing even with the blowing wind, because we can get in early. The manager opens the door and announces that anyone rude to her staff will be banned and she pointed to a woman in line and told her she wasn't allowed in. Of course no kleenex, paper towels only. I'll try at another store tomorrow early.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan