Re: Getting through this moment

geno wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:18 pm
lurker wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:47 am i remember that from when i lived in N. GA. nothing but pine flats for hundreds of miles in any direction, what did you expect?
Pine nuts!
The squirrels and birds get everything long before any human could hope to. All we get is the pollen in spring and the pine needles in fall.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

eelj wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:03 am Thanks to people posting pics of the flowers. I woke up to about 2 or 3"s of fresh snow today. Not taking any pictures of it.
If it makes you feel any better, it's currently 78° without a cloud in the sky where I am and the Mrs and I are tanning in the backyard sipping fizzy beverages. Not sure how that's supposed to make you feel any better but hey, I'm trying here

K9s wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:23 pm
lurker wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:47 am i remember that from when i lived in N. GA. nothing but pine flats for hundreds of miles in any direction, what did you expect?
Pine nuts!
The squirrels and birds get everything long before any human could hope to. All we get is the pollen in spring and the pine needles in fall.
I understand, I have the same problem, but with Doug Firs, The local paper mill use to give seedlings away. Consequently, we've got 36 trees in two rows of hundred foot tall Doug firs along the east side of our house.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

geno wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:17 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:23 pm
Pine nuts!
I understand, I have the same problem, but with Doug Firs, The local paper mill use to give seedlings away. Consequently, we've got 36 trees in two rows of hundred foot tall Doug firs along the east side of our house.
Trees are literally weeds here. I have to pull dozens of them out of the ground every year all around the house. I have enough trees.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Attachments
Yard0307.jpg

danhue wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:27 am "The Expanse" on Amazon Prime would be my top recommendation for binge watching. If you like politics, the show has a really interesting conflict triangle between Earth, Mars and the "Belters" (underclass of Asteroid Belt miners formed over generations).

If you're into philosophy, "The Good Place" is well worth watching. Goofy, endearing, and at times, thought-provoking.
Having watched S1 and S2 at least 5 times, S3 at least 3 or 4 times, and S4 twice...

Oh, hell, maybe I'll just watch it again!
I strangely like Carnival Row--not my usual thing but...
And Good Omens is hilarious---feels like a descendant of the Pythons.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Our entire back yard that's not planted with other stuff has these white flowers coming up. Bees love 'em.
P1010213.JPG

Here's some Maple flowers and some that have become baby seeds on one of my bonsai. This is on a 35 year old tree.

P1010214.JPG
We've got those purple iris. We have some hybrid ones that are just fat buds right now. Pics in a week or so.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Got in a long walk today, some people out walking their dogs. Next storm rolling in so it got windy. Talked to a woman at a distance, who was with her elderly mother both out for a walk and the mother was walking with a cane. Had some rain over the last two weeks, weeds but no desert flowers yet at least in my area.

Federal lands are still open and some LA people spent the weekend camping. I believe CA state parks are closed.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

SailDesign wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:18 pm
Dangitall!! I heard it was 8 pm.... How embarrassing. :D

I must admit that staying home has benefits. I like to doodle boats - this is the latest.
Yeah, we all have our crosses to bear. You make very lovely boats, I must say.

CDFingers

featureless wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:47 pm How do you get the snow to stick to the roof like that?
Ah. I thought it was me, listening to too much Grateful Dead while sheltering in place. :wtf: I bet the prob lies in the imaging software, where it may need to be saved after rotation. Some need it some don't.

CDFingers