Re: i hate the "sproing!"

here's the new spring, old spring and buffer. as you can see, the new spring is longer. i don't know if that's because the old one has gotten compressed over time. the sales spiel says the longer spring will cycle the action better, maybe it's on purpose, IDK.
IMG_0457.jpg
after lengthy research (about 2 minutes) i determined that a couple of drops of oil in the buffer tube might help with noise and corrosion. then the spring goes back in, followed by the buffer, all threaded/wriggled/persuaded in past the hammer and detent. i probably should have hosed it out with brake or parts cleaner first. oh well.
so we're basically done. close it up, work the action a couple of times to make sure you didn't leave anything out and we're done. time to head out to the range and burn some powder!
IMG_0458.jpg
i'll hang onto the old spring until we know it works.
Last edited by lurker on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

senorgrand wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 am You can:

1) pack the spring in lithium grease (I did this and it works, but it's messy)
2) Buy a JP enterprises captured recoil spring ($150-$200)
3) buy a solid wood stock from boyds to dampen noise
4) trade you current lower for a Fightlite SCR lower
5) Buy a Mini 14.
number 5 is the best option. :yahoo:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I make it a rule always to treat every spring as if I'm completely hung over and its a poopy three year old high as a kite on Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs: I put it in a clear bag so I can see what it's doing while I try to change it.

This explains the failure of my child care side gig.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 pm I make it a rule always to treat every spring as if I'm completely hung over and its a poopy three year old high as a kite on Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs: I put it in a clear bag so I can see what it's doing while I try to change it.

CDFingers
i dimly recall when i first put the AR together i did it in the shower stall, a towel over the drain. nothing got away, but the springs certainly tried.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote:
CDFingers wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 pm I make it a rule always to treat every spring as if I'm completely hung over and its a poopy three year old high as a kite on Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs: I put it in a clear bag so I can see what it's doing while I try to change it.

CDFingers
i dimly recall when i first put the AR together i did it in the shower stall, a towel over the drain. nothing got away, but the springs certainly tried.
I did mine on a folding table in my backyard after not cutting the grass for 3 weeks. I like to live dangerously.

Re: i hate the

lurker wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:36 am
kronkmusic wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 am I did mine on a folding table in my backyard after not cutting the grass for 3 weeks. I like to live dangerously.
even worse than shag carpet.
Nothing worse than shag carpet. Friends lost their toddler in the shag found him when he turned 18 and graduated from high school.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm
kronkmusic wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 am I did mine on a folding table in my backyard after not cutting the grass for 3 weeks. I like to live dangerously.
Nothing worse than shag carpet. Friends lost their toddler in the shag found him when he turned 18 and graduated from high school.
Hardy har har
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm
Yarf! So true. You could raise sheep in shag, and only the dog would know.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack