Ruger lcrx which one?

:yahoo: I am finally in a position to add to my firearm family. I like the 3 inch version of the lcrx. I hesitated over the 38 special because of its frame. I prefer the steel frame of the 357 version abut would not be sending a lot of 357 down range from a 21 ounce pistol. The sticking point is the 357 is about 100 dollars more, The gun will be a range gun and trail gun. Any suggestions of other revolvers. My broad specs are 38 sp/357 3 to 4 inch barell and under 750 dollar.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin

Re: Ruger lcrx which one?

I want at least a 3 inch barrel. One of the reason I am leaning to the 357 3 inch lcrx is its steel frame. I don't think I would push too many 357 through it, The wrists can stand so much abuse,
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin

I’m doing that new person forum thing here where you respond to old threads, hope you folks don’t mind.

Edited.
I’d go with the LCR because the trigger is fantastic, the 38 version, lighter to carry and cheaper. 357 has got to be brutal and not fun even with the heavier frame.

Thanks all. Late reply. I went with the 38 special as I realized I wouldn't be pushing many, any 357 rounds through a 21 ounce gun. For 357 I have been eyeing the taurus tracker 627 4 inch ported barrel but taurus is a make that people swear by or swear at so I am conflicted.
Beto in wisconsin

beto wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:29 pm Thanks all. Late reply. I went with the 38 special as I realized I wouldn't be pushing many, any 357 rounds through a 21 ounce gun. For 357 I have been eyeing the taurus tracker 627 4 inch ported barrel but taurus is a make that people swear by or swear at so I am conflicted.
So even zombie threads deserve a new life.

Take a look at an outlier, the Charter Arms options. The biggest reason is that it really is a company currently dedicated to real customer service.

So far I have also found that their current lineup compares favorably with the current offerings from S&W in fit, finish and function but with better support.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I was ready to purchase the LCRx 3" 357 before the zombie apocalypse. The price had dropped significantly, and I found it for well under $500. It is light and easy to carry all day. I shoot 38 out of a scandium frame S&W and don't have any issues. It was nearly the same price as a Taurus 357.

Now... I have to wait and assume it will never happen.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

beto wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:55 pm Thanks for the advice on charter. For the Zombie apocalypse I have a pump 20 guage with #4 buckshot
Now vs Then. I did want that LCRx, but not a good idea now.

I just hope gun prices drop back down AND I have a job in the summer. I won't pay full retail panic price ever and I have other priorities now.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

beto wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:29 pm Thanks all. Late reply. I went with the 38 special as I realized I wouldn't be pushing many, any 357 rounds through a 21 ounce gun. For 357 I have been eyeing the taurus tracker 627 4 inch ported barrel but taurus is a make that people swear by or swear at so I am conflicted.
Liking the 38? I briefly owned a 1.87” shrouded hammer model because I randomly found one for cheap used and was shooting Fiocchi wadcutters in it, a little snappy after a few boxes but pretty nice but then I got the 327 which I like even more so I sold the 38. I love the trigger these revolvers have, it’s so light relative to the SP.

I briefly owned a Taurus 608, another random used find at a shop for a good price, had wanted an 8 shot 357 for years but never wanted to pony up for a S&W. Had no problems with the 608 but I ended up selling it so I could get a Ruger SR22 pistol which I still have and love to shoot even more. I had good luck with the other 2 Taurus handguns I briefly owned(PT22 PLY and M380 revolver) but when I hear about gunshops that stop selling the brand because their customers have so many problems with them it makes me weary about buying any more in the future. Then again all of my guns but one are basically range toys and Taurus does have that lifetime warranty.

One day I may get one of those 8 shot Smiths or Rugers and if I do I’ll hang onto it.

Ruger lcrx which one?

Re Taurus, is it possible that their quality has gone down hill over time? I had an early 80’s vintage PT 99 but sold it regrettably. It was a quality semi auto. I still have an older snubnose 605 .357, which I think is an excellent quality gun. I have a friend who bought a new snubnose model 85 for his wife, but has had nothing but problems with it. Nothing but anecdotal information here, but it does seem like the examples of older Taurus guns were solid.

I was fondling a .38 LCR at Academy over the weekend. My girlfriend has expressed a desire in getting her concealed carry, as things continue to be dire. We discussed the pros and cons of semi autos versus revolvers. And I think for her the simplicity of the LCR is attractive. Having a hammer on an LCRX is attractive to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DamnYankee wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:00 am I was fondling a .38 LCR at Academy over the weekend. My girlfriend has expressed a desire in getting her concealed carry, as things continue to be dire. We discussed the pros and cons of semi autos versus revolvers. And I think for her the simplicity of the LCR is attractive. Having a hammer on an LCRX is attractive to me.
I have absolute faith in my LCR and mine is currently filthy(will clean it soon). Does your girlfriend handle recoil well? The polymer frame and rubber grip eat up some recoil but at 13 oz the 38 is snappy with everything but the slowest wadcutters and even with those it still bucks a bit. I sold my 38 after I got one in 327 which holds 1 more round. It’s a few ounces heavier which helps a little more with recoil and you can shoot 32 S&W, 32 long, 32 H&R magnum, and 327 magnum in it. I mostly shoot Fiocchi 32 long wadcutters which are very pleasant and about the same cost as the 38s, maybe in between the recoil of a hot 22lr and the Fiocchi 38 wadcutters. If you want a 32 or 38 hollow point load that will expand you’ll have to deal with a lot more recoil. I have faith in wads, they smash and cut through. My 327 with 32 long wads is my current house gun and that load is a joy to shoot at the range. You do have to order most of this 32 ammo though, stores don’t stock much of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_m4M8CAe0

Great video.
Attachments
C1A9215B-28F5-4D66-B9C7-A3018C71D687.jpeg
F5F9FAF8-3981-419E-A20C-5D2734482415.jpeg
F5F9FAF8-3981-419E-A20C-5D2734482415.jpeg (15.7 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
B93A7694-CCCB-4DAD-868F-B9448B4D3FE1.jpeg

Ruger lcrx which one?

Good info on 327. Thanks for reminding me about that. I always forget about that option since it’s not so popular. My gf DOES have “weak hands“- her description. That combined with her desire for simplicity pushes me towards a revolver. Ideally I’d get two, one with a 3 or 4 inch barrel for her to practice with and the snubnose for her to carry...but it’s not the time to do that.
Last edited by DamnYankee on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For a guy I definitely have weak hands but I can fire the LCR even with my left hand. I’ve owned revolvers with triggers so tough to pull that I could not do that without shifting my grip severely and pulling with all my might. That trigger with that super comfortable grip with 32 wads is very enjoyable. Pleasant easy to shoot handguns are one of the ‘good things’ in life to me which is part of the reason I like 22lr so much but with centerfire double action the trigger is lighter. I’d recommend 32 wads in the 327 to anyone that is thinking about going the 22lr or 22mag revolver route.
Last edited by UncleJon on Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not to hijack, but...

I had a slight change in plans re: the LCR idea. A great priced GP100 came out of nowhere and practically bit me. Sorry for crappy cell phone pics:

Some buffing of external scratches and polishing of the internals may be in order, but I am very happy with it. Really tight, crisp SA break and pretty smooth DA pull. 4 inch barrel is the perfect compromise for range and hiking gun. So now I’m looking for pink grips for the Taurus as it is now the prime choice for conceal carry for GF after she takes her course and practices. Both side by side: