CCWing a 4” Revolver

I’m thinking of getting a 4” Model 66 someday, but only if I can CCW it. Looking for a 4 o’clock holster, preferably a high-rise IWB. Should have thumb retention too.

I’ve got a 4” 617 I can practice with around the house to see if this is feasible.

Oh, I’d also prefer leather.

Thanks for your suggestions!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: CCWing a 4” Revolver

If I were to CC a 4" revolver, it would be a S&W model 12. Aluminum frame .38 Special. For self defense I prefer +P .38 Special over the .357 magnum.

I would carry it in an El Paso Saddlry C-Force without the thumb break. An IWB gets a lot of extra retention from your belt, so the thumb break really doesn't offer any advantages other than slowing you down.

If you choose the 66, I'd use the same holster. The C-Force is one of the absolute best deals in a leather IWB holster. When you first get it, you think...it looks cheap...but it's very well thought out. They quite smartly put the suede side out which helps the holster to stay put inside the waist band. And it's one of the most comfortable IWB holsters out there. Excellent design, VERY good price.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:03 pm If I were to CC a 4" revolver, it would be a S&W model 12. Aluminum frame .38 Special. For self defense I prefer +P .38 Special over the .357 magnum.

I would carry it in an El Paso Saddlry C-Force without the thumb break. An IWB gets a lot of extra retention from your belt, so the thumb break really doesn't offer any advantages other than slowing you down.

If you choose the 66, I'd use the same holster. The C-Force is one of the absolute best deals in a leather IWB holster. When you first get it, you think...it looks cheap...but it's very well thought out. They quite smartly put the suede side out which helps the holster to stay put inside the waist band. And it's one of the most comfortable IWB holsters out there. Excellent design, VERY good price.
Apparently they don't like Ruger SR's. No options for one anywhere. Do they have a website? Couldn't find it.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Almost anything can be concealed but it may take some changes in personal appearance. I have seen a video of some skinny guy pulling up a tshirt and pulling a 7.5" ruger redhawk out of his pants.

Of course he didn't sit down or bend over so equipped. If you want to carry a 4" revolver you might have to change your wardrobe and personal habits.

Whatever you shoot well and feel comfortable wearing, it's an individual thing. For me I have a 3" revolver that I put a larger grip on to make it more comfortable to shoot but it's harder to conceal. I always think of Hickok45 who is a big guy but he loves the small guns and shoots them well even with his large hands.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Concealed? Such a big’un?

Shoulder rig it, Harry.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

senorgrand wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:20 pm Azula has one that looks right. Any experience with them?

https://azulagunholsters.com/product/be ... r-holster/
I have several holsters from them and they have all been adequate but not exceptional. None of mine are IWB though. I have never been comfortable with IWB holsters.
Last edited by sig230 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I carry a RugerLCRX with a 3 inch barrel. The large grips make it easy to shoot and it is so light that I barely noticed it. I have seen some light snubbies with small handles (S&W light weights) that are not as easy to control but a lot of people love them. Anyway, enjoy your new revolver.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin